[net.auto] wiper vanes: why?

pkern@utcs.uucp (pkern) (01/11/86)

Why do some cars have vanes on the windshield wipers?

signed, moderately curious

wts@burl.UUCP (wts) (01/14/86)

In article <1052@utcs.uucp> pkern@utcs.uucp (pkern) writes:
>Why do some cars have vanes on the windshield wipers?
>
>signed, moderately curious

If I understand the question correctly, these blades are "Anti-Windlift"
blades manufactured by Anco (aka Anderson Co. of Gary, Ind.). These blades
supposedly use the vanes to add force to the force supplied by the wiper arm,
and supposed keep the blade in better contact with the windshield.  When
first introduced, Anco said that the AWL blade was supplied by them for
the Lockheed C-5A aircraft and improved pilots rain vision by
um-te-ump %, that the same effect would be good for plain old cars!

mberns@ut-ngp.UUCP (Mark Bernstein) (01/14/86)

[]

To capitalize on air-flow at high speeds to hold the wipers
firmly on the windshield.  At highway speeds wipers may
have a tendency to lift up slightly as they are buffeted by
the wind, reducing their effectiveness.  The vanes are set up
to catch the airflow and counteract that effect.

schley@mmm.UUCP (Steve Schley) (01/17/86)

In article <1052@utcs.uucp> pkern@utcs.uucp (pkern) writes:
>Why do some cars have vanes on the windshield wipers?
>
>signed, moderately curious

I believe the 'vane' is there to keep the wiper firmly against the
windshield at high speeds.  I haven't noticed any difference in
performance between my left wiper (equipped with a vane) and my right
wiper (no vane), but I tend to slow down a bit if conditions require
wipers :-).

If any of you VW drivers want one of these vanes (they are stock on
GTI's and GLI's), check the parts department at your dealer.  They
simply snap onto the standard wiper arm.

--
	Steve Schley

	ihnp4!mmm!schley