[comp.sys.next] NeXT Press Release

cory@gloom.UUCP (Cory Kempf) (10/20/88)

In article <73226@sun.uucp>, lyang%scherzo@Sun.COM (Larry Yang) writes:
> An audio CD has as its "format" basically one, long serial spiral
> (not unlike its vinyl counterpart).  In computer applications, I believe
> the disks are usually formatted into wedges (sectors), not unlike its
> magnetic counterpart.  Thus, along with the ECC overhead, there is the
> overhead for formating the sectors, labeling the sectors, etc.

A data CD (at least in the standards that I have used) is formatted
in a LONG spiral.  the spiral is broken down into several blocks,
each of which "looks" like it is 2k.  In reality, they use some
error correction code (ECC) that causes 8 bits to use up 14 bits
of space.

A CD-ROM holds about 660Mb of data after ECC, or on the order of
1 Gb without the ECC.

Unfortunately (at least from what I have heard), the Audio CD's (and
CD-ROM's are not compatable with the WORMs or WMRM drives.  The Audio
CD/CD-ROM work on a laser reflection off of pits in the substrate of
the disc.  (NB: when refering to CD's, disc is correct, not disk.)
--
Cory Kempf
UUCP: {decvax, bu-cs}!encore!gloom!cory

landman%hanami@Sun.COM (Howard A. Landman) (10/22/88)

In article <169@gloom.UUCP> cory@gloom.UUCP (Cory Kempf) writes:
>A data CD (at least in the standards that I have used) is formatted
>in a LONG spiral.  the spiral is broken down into several blocks,
>each of which "looks" like it is 2k.  In reality, they use some
>error correction code (ECC) that causes 8 bits to use up 14 bits
>of space.

The 8 to 14 bit encoding has nothing to do with the error correction.
It is used to make reading and writing easier since it limits the
space between transitions.  Thus phase-locked loops stay in sync
better (transitions not too far apart), and lasers don't have to
switch so fast when writing the CD master (transitions not too close
together).

The error correction is a CIRC (Cross Interleaved Reed-Solomon Code)
which operates on a much larger scale than 8 bits at a time.  It also
has a much lower overhead than 75%!

	Howard A. Landman
	landman@hanami.sun.com
	UUCP: sun!hanami!landman

dorn@fabscal.UUCP (Alan Dorn Hetzel) (10/26/88)

In article <74011@sun.uucp> landman@sun.UUCP (Howard A. Landman) writes:

>The 8 to 14 bit encoding has nothing to do with the error correction.
>It is used to make reading and writing easier since it limits the
>space between transitions.  ...

It also limits the maximum distance between transitions, which is the more
important function, actually.  This is done to prevent significant DC
components in the signal, which would raise hell with portions of the
electronics downstream.

Dorn

langford@reed.UUCP (Chris Langford) (11/15/88)

Someone asked whether or not the NeXT disks were reliable.  I was at a
NeXT demo on friday, and someone there asked the same question.  The rep
said that they were having problems with the read laser trashing info
instead of just reading it, but that the problem had been fixed.  I have
also heard tell that a large amount of the space on the disks is used for
error correction.  Anyone else out there know more?  Please notice that
I have directed follow-ups to comp.sys.next.
--
Chris Langford  {decvax allegra ucbcad ucbvax hplabs}!tektronix!reed!langford
langford@reed.bitnet           |         "And to everyone else out there,
                               | 	  the secret is to bang the rocks
                               |          together, guys."

jclee@cory.Berkeley.EDU (James C. Lee) (04/05/91)

The following is NeXT's press release on April 4. In the release it
has 2 figures showing Q1'91 UNIX Workstation Shipments:

	SUN	44,000
	HP	20,000
	DEC	 8,000
	IBM	12,000
	NeXT	 8,000

On Professional Workstation Shipments:

	SUN	11,000
	NeXT	 8,000
	HP	 3,000
	DEC	 1,000
	IBM	 1,000

Here's the release:

NeXT SHIPS 8,000 CPUs IN FIRST QUARTER  Makes  NeXT  One  of
Leading Professional Workstation Vendors

        REDWOOD CITY, Calif., April 4, 1991 P NeXT Computer,
Inc.  today announced that it shipped 8,000 NeXT CPUs during
the first quarter of 1991, which ended  March  31.   It  was
NeXT's  first full quarter shipping its new line of worksta-
tions.

        All of NeXT's shipments were into  the  professional
workstation category, making NeXT one of the leading vendors
in this segment.  Professional workstations,  unlike  tradi-
tional  scientific/technical workstations, are UNIX worksta-
tions designed for non-technical users.

        "In our first full quarter shipping the new systems,
we  think NeXT has nearly matched market leader Sun in ship-
ments to the professional workstation segment," said  Steven
P.  Jobs,  president and CEO of NeXT.  "Customers are begin-
ning to grasp the benefits of NeXT's concept  of  'UNIX  for
mere mortals' and they like what they see."

        Comparing NeXT's first quarter 1991 with other  ven-
dors'  most  recently reported sales, NeXT tied with Digital
Equipment Corporation in the overall workstation market.  In
the  professional  workstation  category,  NeXT  ran a close
second to market leader Sun Microsystems.

        Sixty percent of NeXT's sales were to  customers  in
business and government and 40 percent were to universities.
More than 30 percent of NeXT's 8,000 CPUs were sold interna-
tionally  to customers in Europe and Asia.  NeXT coordinates
its European activities through its  three  subsidiaries  in
the  United Kingdom,  France  and Germany.  In Asia, Canon,
Inc. is the company's exclusive representative.

Professional Workstations

        Professional workstations represent a rapidly emerg-
ing  new category of UNIX workstations.  Professional works-
tation users require the power, networking and  multitasking
capabilities  of UNIX workstations, but also need a computer
that runs personal computer-like  productivity  applications
and  is easy to use.  These users work in areas such as pub-
lishing, financial services, entertainment/advertising, med-
ical and legal services, government and higher education.

        Customers in non-technical fields generally purchase
workstations  rather  than personal computers for three rea-
sons:  to develop mission-critical custom  applications;  to
run  networking-intensive  installations;  and  to  run more
powerful versions  of  productivity  applications  than  are
available  for  personal computers.  In time, NeXT believes,
they  will  also  demand  greater  interpersonal   computing
capabilities  to  increase group productivity and collabora-
tion.

        NeXT computers have the technology  that  commercial
users are seeking as they migrate to workstation technology.
NeXTstep, NeXT's graphical user  interface  and  application
development  environment, offers the most powerful and easi-
est to use environment for custom  application  development.
NeXT's systems also provide extremely powerful built-in net-
working capabilities P including TCP/IP  and  both  twisted-
pair  and  thin  Ethernet  P  yet  setting up and navigating
around a network on NeXT is extremely simple.

        Unlike other workstation vendors, NeXT  has  a  wide
assortment  of  breakthrough productivity applications, such
as Lotus Improv and WordPerfect (both shipping now).   These
applications  are superior in functionality to, but compati-
ble with, their versions on other platforms.  They also have
the ability to read files by other spreadsheet and word pro-
cessing vendors, thus making them compatible with 80 percent
of the installed base of software.  Lastly, NeXT is the only
computer company focusing on interpersonal  computing,  with
built-in,  easy-to-use  electronic mail that allows everyone
in an organization to use voice, text and graphics  to  keep
each other informed.

        NeXT's family of professional workstations comprises
the  NeXTstation  and  NeXTcube,  which  began  shipping  in
November 1990; NeXTstation Color, which  began  shipping  on
March  12;  and NeXTdimension, due to be available to custo-
mers in May.  NeXT's first quarter shipment numbers  do  not
include  the two color products.  All four systems are based
on Motorola's 68040 microprocessor.

Distribution

        One of NeXT's challenges in 1991 is to structure its
distribution  strategy to match the quality of its products.
In the first stage of this program, NeXT is rapidly  expand-
ing its dealer base in the U.S., putting greater emphasis on
campus resellers in the higher education community,  forging
partnerships  with  more  value-added  resellers  (VARs) and
increasing its direct sales force.

        "Along with building credibility for an entirely new
category of computers P professional workstations P NeXT has
also had to take a fresh  look  at  the  right  distribution
strategies  to  reach  professional  workstation customers,"
said Todd Rulon-Miller, NeXT's vice president, sales. "  Our
distribution  goals  are two-fold:  to expand our total dis-
tribution capabilities and to choose channels that  give  us
greater  leverage  with  customers.   The changes we've ini-
tiated in 1991 take us a long way toward accomplishing these
goals."

        To reach individuals  and  small-  and  medium-sized
businesses,  NeXT  is  establishing a network of independent
dealers  that  are  aggressive,  technically  savvy,  owner-
operated   retailers   with   strong  regional  reputations.
Included in this group will be individually certified  Busi-
nessland  centers,  chosen on a case-by-case basis according
to their track record selling NeXT's  professional  worksta-
tion products.  NeXT expects that these Businessland centers
will make up about 10 percent of its total dealer base.

        NeXT's VAR strategy  focuses  on  specific  vertical
markets  that depend on proprietary custom software, and for
which NeXT is particularly well suited,  including  publish-
ing,  financial services, entertainment/advertising, medical
and legal services.  Historically, more  than  half  of  all
workstations have been sold through VARs.

        To increase its leverage among higher education cus-
tomers  P which account for 40 percent of NeXT's total sales
worldwide P NeXT is  concentrating  more  effort  on  campus
resellers  (i.e., bookstores and on-campus computer stores).
The company is focusing on  establishing  key  resellers  at
computer-intensive  colleges  and  universities,  which  are
responsible for about half of all higher education  computer
purchases.

        Many large corporate  customers,  as  well  as  many
government  organizations and higher education institutions,
prefer to purchase computers directly from  vendors  instead
of  through  intermediate  channels.   NeXT  has doubled its
direct sales force in the last six months  to  better  serve
these customers.

        NeXT Computer, Inc. designs, manufactures and  mark-
ets  professional  workstations, which combine the power and
networking of today's most advanced  workstations  with  the
ease  of  use  and productivity applications of today's best
personal computers.  NeXT's professional workstation systems
promise to enhance the way groups of people work together in
the 1990s.  NeXT is headquartered at 900  Chesapeake  Drive,
Redwood City, California, 94063.

#admiral@m-5.Sun.COM (Michael Limprecht SUN Microsystems Mt. View Ca.) (04/09/91)

In article <?#3Ga72i1@cs.psu.edu>, melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

> From comp.sys.next.

> From: jclee@cory.Berkeley.EDU (James C. Lee)
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.next
> Subject: NeXT Press Release
> Date: 5 Apr 91 08:37:50 GMT
>

> The following is NeXT's press release on April 4. In the release it
> has 2 figures showing Q1'91 UNIX Workstation Shipments:
>
> 	SUN	44,000
> 	HP	20,000
> 	DEC	 8,000
> 	IBM	12,000
> 	NeXT	 8,000
>
> On Professional Workstation Shipments:
>
> 	SUN	11,000
> 	NeXT	 8,000
> 	HP	 3,000
> 	DEC	 1,000
> 	IBM	 1,000
>
> Here's the release:
>
> NeXT SHIPS 8,000 CPUs IN FIRST QUARTER  Makes  NeXT  One  of
> Leading Professional Workstation Vendors
>
>         All of NeXT's shipments were into  the  professional
> workstation category, making NeXT one of the leading vendors
> in this segment.  Professional workstations,  unlike  tradi-
> tional  scientific/technical workstations, are UNIX worksta-
> tions designed for non-technical users.
>
>         "In our first full quarter shipping the new systems,
> we  think NeXT has nearly matched market leader Sun in ship-
> ments to the professional workstation segment," said  Steven
> P.  Jobs,  president and CEO of NeXT.  "Customers are begin-

What marketeze!  At least if your going to make up a market segment
you could at least think of one where your the leader.

Mick

And for those of you who are a big fish in a small pond. The
all new SHARKstation 1!
Built in ethernet and buoyancy control.
SHARKware applications.
SUNdunk. The worlds leader in underwater workstations.
Why? Because we can.

"I think there's a world market for about 5 computers."
        - Thomas J. Watson, Chairman of the Board, IBM (around 1948)
uucp: {anywhere}!sun!admiral

jmann@vineland.pubs.stratus.com (Jim Mann) (04/10/91)

writes:
> > On Professional Workstation Shipments:
> >
> > 	SUN	11,000
> > 	NeXT	 8,000
> > 	HP	 3,000
> > 	DEC	 1,000
> > 	IBM	 1,000
> >
> What marketeze!  At least if your going to make up a market segment
> you could at least think of one where your the leader.

What nonsense. In only a couple of years, NeXT has gone from a bit player to
the 2nd biggest workstation seller in its major market -- only a bit behind
Sun which has been aiming at this market for years and years.

Also, what do you mean by "make up a market segment."  Don't you think the
professional business market is a valid market segment, clearly differentiated
from R&D, computational, etc. markets?  This is exactly the market next is
aiming at. Yep, Sun outsells them by a long shot in those markets where
most users a professional computer types (you know, those who respond to
complaints about how bad the Unix command syntax is with "If you don't
like the shell, write your own). NeXT, on the other hand, is rapidly
catching up with Sun in those markets where ease of use matters.

(My one quibble with the figures is the IBM figure. I think the NeXT figures
only include Unix boxes, not the many IBM 386 and 486 machines running OS/2 or
DOS.)

Jim Mann                                      jmann@vineland.pubs.stratus.com
Stratus Computer

scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (04/11/91)

   writes:
   > > On Professional Workstation Shipments:
   > >
   > > 	SUN	11,000
   > > 	NeXT	 8,000
   > > 	HP	 3,000
   > > 	DEC	 1,000
   > > 	IBM	 1,000
   > >
   > What marketeze!  At least if your going to make up a market segment
   > you could at least think of one where your the leader.

   What nonsense. In only a couple of years, NeXT has gone from a bit player to
   the 2nd biggest workstation seller in its major market -- only a bit behind
   Sun which has been aiming at this market for years and years.

   Also, what do you mean by "make up a market segment."  Don't you think the
   professional business market is a valid market segment, clearly differentiated
   from R&D, computational, etc. markets?

Well, even if we grant that you can make up a new market (essentially,
they did, even if it may be valid - say Sun now makes up a market of
a certain type of secrataries of physical scientists, labels it
"Professional Research Assistants" and says they massively outsell
everyone else in their market - I'd have to quibble), I think it's
a wee stretch saying that every one of the NeXTs out there is a
"Professional Workstation".  Because, the uses we put our NeXTs to
on campus look an awful lot like what other schools use their Suns
for - ie, upper-level computer science, AI, compilers, and the like.

I, for one (I may or may not be counted in that 8,000 - I just now got
my machine) do not want to be considered a "Professional Workstation
User".  Call me a Hacker, that's what I am, more or less.

   (My one quibble with the figures is the IBM figure. I think the NeXT figures
   only include Unix boxes, not the many IBM 386 and 486 machines running OS/2 or
   DOS.)

Which is, in essence, the same quibble I have.

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad