[comp.sys.next] More LISP questions

mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) (04/10/91)

Sigh.  Sorry to bother the group again, but I keep hoping people with
More Experience Than Me can clue me in as to what to do . . .

This is the continuing saga of my attempt to prototype a NeXT application
in Common LISP.  I've finally found the documentation (though maybe not all
of it) which explains things like transferring data types back and forth
between C and LISP, calling C functions from LISP, and so forth.  The next
question--are there any pre-written Common LISP files I can load which will
tell ACL about the functions and types used under Objective-C?  In other
words, files that contain all the necessary defforeign's, def-cstruct's and
so forth, so that I don't have to enter in all that stuff myself?  I have
no idea where to look for it.

And a minor question--I remember seeing a passage in one of the many reams
of Common LISP documentation I have printed out, to the effect that it is
possible to set ACL so that message sending is done by C-style brackets,
i.e. [object message]--but I have no idea where to look to find out how to
do this.  What I wouldn't give for a good index into this stuff...

Thanks,
Ken McDonald
{mcdonald@cs.sfu.ca}

cox@Franz.COM (Charles A. Cox) (04/12/91)

In article <2468@fornax.UUCP> mcdonald@fornax.UUCP (Ken Mcdonald) writes:

> [...] The next
> question--are there any pre-written Common LISP files I can load which will
> tell ACL about the functions and types used under Objective-C?  In other
> words, files that contain all the necessary defforeign's, def-cstruct's and
> so forth, so that I don't have to enter in all that stuff myself?  I have
> no idea where to look for it.

  Unfortunately, there are no files that contain lisp
cstruct/defforeign information for the entire NeXTStep library.  Since
the lisp has been developed independently of NeXTStep, any such files
that would be created by Franz Inc. become potentially out of date as
the NeXTStep library changes.  You should be able to see sample uses,
however, in the examples/ directory in the lisp distribution.

  There is one example which I think is not part of the lisp
distribution, but was submitted to the NeXT Archives (at
cc.purdue.edu) some time ago, which shows how to load in symbols from
a library not already built into the lisp image.  This was under
stored under "source/playscorefile.cl", but I haven't checked in a
while to see if it is still there.  If anyone can't find it, but would
like a copy, send me mail.

> And a minor question--I remember seeing a passage in one of the many reams
> of Common LISP documentation I have printed out, to the effect that it is
> possible to set ACL so that message sending is done by C-style brackets,
> i.e. [object message]--but I have no idea where to look to find out how to
> do this.  What I wouldn't give for a good index into this stuff...

  You're probably thinking about (objc:enable-[]-messages).

  Regarding your documentation availability questions
(<2464@fornax.UUCP>), I would recommend your contacting Franz Inc.
directly to make sure you have all that you need.  Contact can be done
by "info@franz.com" or "...!uunet!franz!info" or (415) 548-3600
(during 8am - 5pm Pacific Time).  NeXT Allegro CL users are welcome to
use these methods to contact Franz Inc. for any general or technical
questions regarding Franz Inc. products.

	Charley
--
---
Charles A. Cox, Franz Inc.        1995 University Avenue, Suite 275