[comp.sys.next] Cap/Kip

anderson@macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (04/09/91)

We have a (among many things) an AppleTalk Phase 2 network
running in our building, and most of our workstations talk
to it over the ethernet via a GatorBox so they can print on
Apple LaserWriter II NTX printers on each floor.  I was told
a while back that I should just use GatorPrint, which is easy
to configure (like, built-in) for NeXTs.  Today I find out
that GatorPrint is held in low enough esteem by our LAN folks
that I should use cap/kip instead.

I figure some worthy soul out there has solved this problem
already, and I would appreciate hearing all about it, for I've
grown weary of printing to a file and ftp-ing the file over
to some DECstation that *does* use cap/kip.  Seems like it oughta
be possible for me to put the stuff up right here.

<> Heaven for climate, hell for society. -- Mark Twain
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (04/10/91)

anderson@macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:

   I was told a while back that I should just use GatorPrint, which is
   easy to configure (like, built-in) for NeXTs.  Today I find out
   that GatorPrint is held in low enough esteem by our LAN folks that
   I should use cap/kip instead.

The easy way is to use GatorPrint.  Tastes great, less filling, especially
if you already have GatorBoxen on your net.  Getting CAP up on the NeXT
and talking to your GatorBoxen in KIP compatibility mode may be complex
(although I haven't tried bringing up 6.0 on our NeXTs yet).  Where CAP
becomes nice is that it lets you use your NeXT printers and optical disks
as print and file servers for the Macs...

   for I've grown weary of printing to a file and ftp-ing the file
   over to some DECstation that *does* use cap/kip.

Um... doesn't Ultrix support BSD-style remote printing?  Can't you just
point your NeXT at your DEC machine?  This would seem to me to be the
simplest approach.

--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

dan@gacvx2.gac.edu (04/10/91)

In article <1991Apr8.211736.22881@macc.wisc.edu>, anderson@macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:

> I figure some worthy soul out there has solved this problem
> already, and I would appreciate hearing all about it, for I've
> grown weary of printing to a file and ftp-ing the file over
> to some DECstation that *does* use cap/kip.  Seems like it oughta
> be possible for me to put the stuff up right here.

I am using CAP 6.0 and a GatorBOX running the 1.6 software to do what you are
doing.  I have never used GatorPrint as I have had CAP working with the
GatorBOX since version 1.3 of the GatorSoftware.  Oh, the Ethernet at GAC is
also a Phase II.

--
Dan Boehlke                    Internet:  dan@gac.edu
Campus Network Manager         BITNET:    dan@gacvax1.bitnet

In article <1991Apr9.182022.16485@visix.com> amanda@visix.com
	(Amanda Walker) writes:
>The easy way is to use GatorPrint.  Tastes great, less filling, especially
>if you already have GatorBoxen on your net.

GatorPrint is really, truly, horribly, stupid.  There's no local
storage in a GatorBox, so it can't spool output.  This leads to
some interesting behavior...

Also, if you want to be able to print from more than one machine,
you have to configure a separate "queue" on the GatorBox for
*every* workstation, or you have to have N-1 machines print
"indirectly" through one server you designate to have a sole
link to the GatorBox.

Two thumbs down from this reviewer.

					-=EPS=-

dan@gacvx2.gac.edu (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr9.182022.16485@visix.com>, amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
> Um... doesn't Ultrix support BSD-style remote printing?  Can't you just
> point your NeXT at your DEC machine?  This would seem to me to be the
> simplest approach.

NeXT 2.0 has a problem that would prevent a NeXT from remote printing to a
non-NeXT system.  NeXT knows about the problem and has issued warnings to all
NeXT support centers.  2.1 may fix the problem.  Rumor is saying that the
remote printing support was reworked.  I don't have 2.1 running yet so I can't
say for sure.  Non-NeXT systems using the NeXT as the remote print server works
great under most NeXT OS revisions.  I have a VAX that uses lpr to send print
jobs to a LaserWriter connected via CAP to a NeXT (the VAX sends the print jobs
to the NeXT and the NeXT uses CAP to print them to the LaserWriter.)

--

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (04/11/91)

In article <1991Apr10.170759.182@gacvx2.gac.edu>
           dan@gacvx2.gac.edu writes:
>In article <1991Apr9.182022.16485@visix.com>,
            amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) writes:
>> Um... doesn't Ultrix support BSD-style remote printing?  Can't you just
>> point your NeXT at your DEC machine?  This would seem to me to be the
>> simplest approach.
>
>NeXT 2.0 has a problem that would prevent a NeXT from remote printing to a
>non-NeXT system.  NeXT knows about the problem and has issued warnings to all
>NeXT support centers.  2.1 may fix the problem.

It should be noted that the problem with NeXT 2.0 and printing to non-NeXT
systems is readily fixable.  Just open a terminal window and enter the command:

   dwrite System PrinterResolution 1

Note: Even after applying this workaround, you won't be able to print to
non-NeXT printers from the PrintManager application.  Also, if you're logged in
as root you won't be able to print to non-NeXT printers from some applications
(for example, Digital Librarian).  There is no workaround for these cases.

If after using this workaround you subsequently print to a non-NeXT printer,
the default resolution is reset and you cannot successfully print to non-NeXT
hosts until you perform the workaround again.

I've done the above workaround on my machine, and then pointed the NeXT box at
our non-NeXT print server machine.  Works great (but then I don't try to print
anything from "root").

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
  = gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu for Next-Mail

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (04/12/91)

In article <4!fgxhj@rpi.edu> Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
           (that's me...) writes:
  ...(first I quote someone else commenting on problems printing
      to non-NeXT printers, and then I say)...

>It should be noted that the problem with NeXT 2.0 and printing to non-NeXT
>systems is readily fixable.  Just open a terminal window and enter the
command:

>   dwrite System PrinterResolution 1
>
>Note: Even after applying this workaround, you won't be able to print to
>non-NeXT printers from the PrintManager application.  Also, if you're logged
in
>as root you won't be able to print to non-NeXT printers from some applications
>(for example, Digital Librarian).  There is no workaround for these cases.
>
>If after using this workaround you subsequently print to a non-NeXT printer,
>the default resolution is reset and you cannot successfully print to non-NeXT
>hosts until you perform the workaround again.

I got a phone call while writing the above, and didn't realize I had sent it
off without mentioning where I got the info from.  Most of the above text comes
verbatim from something called "NeXT Technical Alert 90-2", which I believe
came out from NeXT a few months ago.  I got this from our Product Center here
at RPI, but I'm not sure how NeXT technical notes are distributed to NeXT
owners.  This happened to get to me the exact same day I was going nuts trying
to figure out why my printing wasn't working, so in my case it was excellent
timing!   (I got it just about two weeks ago, after getting my NeXT three weeks
ago)

Please don't ask me how it works, I don't have enough NeXT knowledge to come up
with fixes like this!

dboles@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (David Boles) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr8.211736.22881@macc.wisc.edu> anderson@macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:

>We have a (among many things) an AppleTalk Phase 2 network
>running in our building, and most of our workstations talk
>to it over the ethernet via a GatorBox so they can print on
>Apple LaserWriter II NTX printers on each floor.  I was told
>a while back that I should just use GatorPrint, which is easy
>to configure (like, built-in) for NeXTs.  Today I find out
>that GatorPrint is held in low enough esteem by our LAN folks
>that I should use cap/kip instead.
>
>I figure some worthy soul out there has solved this problem
>already, and I would appreciate hearing all about it, for I've
>grown weary of printing to a file and ftp-ing the file over
>to some DECstation that *does* use cap/kip.  Seems like it oughta
>be possible for me to put the stuff up right here.

kip/cap doesn't support Appletalk Phase 2.  The problems with
GatorPrint are that it bogs down the Gatorbox's and it doesn't
handle multiple requests well.  The solution for that is to
have a single Unix box acting as a print server, sending the
jobs one  at a time to the Gatorbox.  This solution seems to work
fairly well over our medium-sized network of 300 macs, 80 SPARCS,
10 SUN 4/470's, and a couple of super-minis.

If there is a new version of kip/cap that does explicitly support
phase 2, please tell me of it.

David Boles                                       Applied Research Laboratories
dboles@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu                        DOS is severely brain-damaged,
apas611@chpc.utexas.edu                   so just pull the plug and let it DIE.

walters@grebyn.com (Chris Walters) (04/12/91)

In article <xcfgc=l@rpi.edu> gad@eclipse.its.rpi.edu writes:
>In article <4!fgxhj@rpi.edu> Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
>           (that's me...) writes:
>  ...(first I quote someone else commenting on problems printing
>      to non-NeXT printers, and then I say)...
>
>>It should be noted that the problem with NeXT 2.0 and printing to non-NeXT
>>systems is readily fixable.  Just open a terminal window and enter the
>command:
>>
>>   dwrite System PrinterResolution 1

Not always!  It doesn't work for remote printing to a DEC LPS 20 on
a VAX 6000 running ULTRIX.  We have tried just about everything,
and if anyone has any ideas I'd like to hear them.

 Chris Walters
 walters@grebyn.com