[comp.sys.next] Supposed Read-only Usenet access: If you can email, you can post.

preston@LL.MIT.EDU (Steven Preston) (04/12/91)

> Someone else is posting this article for me because my access to the
> Usenet is Read-only.
  [actual question elided]
> Tim Buck (timbuck@vtvm1.cc.vt.edu or jbuck@vtssi.vt.edu)

To those of us who cannot directly post articles, there is still an
easy way to post, via email.  All you have to do is send email to
        <Newsgroup-name>@cis.ohio-state.edu
and the nice software at Ohio State will post the message for you.

There are other nodes to which one can send articles as email as well.
The first one I heard about was ucbvax.berkeley.edu.  To send to that
node, however, one must change all the periods in the newsgroup name
to dashes (eg. comp-sys-next@ucbvax.berkeley.edu).

NOTE: When sending articles in this way, you need to include whatever
header lines are appropriate (Newsgroups:, Distribution:, etc).  For
some reason the References: line doesn't make it; that's the only bug
I have found.

I have patched the GNUS newsreader that runs inside of GNU Emacs to
transparently post articles via email.  I posted the patch to
gnu.emacs.gnus a while ago.  If anyone would like this, let me know.
I will post here if there is sufficient interest.
--
Steve Preston  (preston@ll.mit.edu)