[comp.sys.next] '040 Upgrade

gchunt%albion.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Galen Hunt) (01/18/91)

What is included in the '040 upgrade for the cubes.  I assume that it
includes the '040 board and a OD with the Release 2.0 software, but
does it come with the 2.8MB floppy.  If not, is the floppy going to be
available as an option?

Ray_Davison@cc.sfu.ca (01/18/91)

In article <1991Jan17.113803.11637@hellgate.utah.edu>
gchunt%albion.utah.edu@cs.utah.edu (Galen Hunt) writes:
>What is included in the '040 upgrade for the cubes.  I assume that it
>includes the '040 board and a OD with the Release 2.0 software, but
>does it come with the 2.8MB floppy.  If not, is the floppy going to be
>available as an option?

The 040 upgrade and the 2.0 software upgrade are separate items. You could
get the software upgrade without the hardware upgrade, but you need the
new software with the new hardware. There is no 2.8MB floppy upgrade for
the cube available from NeXT. You have to buy it from a third party.
The 040 upgrade does include a filter for the OD (finally). Mine arrived too
late. I hadn't used the optical for months, and now that I need it to do
the software upgrade (which I need for the hardware upgrade) my optical is
dead. The good thing is that this is the first time my cube has needed
service since I got it over two years ago.

ifjrs@acad3.alaska.edu (STANNARD JOHN R) (03/21/91)

The '040 board and version 2.0 that I ordered Oct. 4, 1990
ARRIVED yesterday afternoon; it was shipped ONE day before the
changeover to 2.1.

Haven't unpacked the stuff yet, but next week is Spring Break...:)

John

--

John Stannard
ifjrs@acad3.fai.alaska.edu		BITNET:  IFJRS@ALASKA

"God is the Answer!"   "Oh?? ... er, ... What was the Question?"

--

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (04/10/91)

Well my '040 upgrade is here.  Total 8 week turnaround, not great, not
bad.  Just long enough for you to be impatient and short enough so you
don't cancel the order.

Now here's the problem I now have a $1000 piece of worthless hardware.
You see someone neglected to ship my 2.0/2.1 optical disk.  My upgrade
board is totally useless until I get my software.  Why the hell send the
hardware if you don't ship the software needed to run the hardware?
Am I missing something?  I don't think so, but if I am let me know.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I'm in HELL.  I'm being tortured.  I can see my upgrade
but I can't use it.  Somebody, anybody, save me.

Now that I have that out of my system.  I hope my optical disk with 2.1,
that's right I don't want 2.0 now that 2.1 is shipping, will arive soon.
Until then I think I'll just look at the new '040 board and pray that I'll
be able to use it soon.

Now let's see how long my 2.0 technical documentation takes to arrive.
I ordered it about 2-3 weeks ago.

           KeNT - I'll be satisfied when my optical disk gets here.
                  But then, I may never be satisfied.
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (04/11/91)

Update on why NeXT send '040 hardware with no 2.0 software.
It turns out that my campus bookstore places hardware and software orders
on seperate P.O.s  this means that my 2.0 optical disk upgrade was put on
the same order as 2.0 extended release on floppies.  My bookstore further
stated that they would like to have complete orders shipped.  This means
that my 2.0 optical disk would not arrive until the floppies did.  This is
not good at all.

So the fact that my hardware arrived and not the software is the fault of
my campus bookstore and NOT NeXT Inc.  NeXT did state after the bookstore
called them that they were going to ship that today and get it out ASAP.
Mind you I asked the people at the bookstore to call yesterday afternoon.
They did not.  They called after I went down there today, physically and
told them "It is only one phone call, make it."

I stood there whle they called and got answers.  Hopefully I'll have my
upgrade by Friday or Monday.

Also I purchased the hardware today.  I don't really trust my good old
reliable bookstore anymore.
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */
/*                                                           */
/*   Kent L. Shephard  : email - kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com   */

osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn) (04/11/91)

In article <ad0y02uI06zI01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L. Shephard) writes:
[Stuff deleted]
>Also I purchased the hardware today.  I don't really trust my good old
>reliable bookstore anymore.
>/*   Kent L. Shephard  : email - kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com   */

Never, ever, ever, trust a University.

-
-John H. Osborn
-osborn@cs.utexas.edu

tjb@IceCube.unh.edu (Thomas J. Baker) (04/12/91)

In article <a93f02rR066T01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L. Shephard) writes:
>Well my '040 upgrade is here.  Total 8 week turnaround, not great, not
>bad.  Just long enough for you to be impatient and short enough so you
>don't cancel the order.
>
>Now here's the problem I now have a $1000 piece of worthless hardware.
>You see someone neglected to ship my 2.0/2.1 optical disk.  My upgrade
>board is totally useless until I get my software.  Why the hell send the
>hardware if you don't ship the software needed to run the hardware?
>Am I missing something?  I don't think so, but if I am let me know.
>
>Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh! I'm in HELL.  I'm being tortured.  I can see my upgrade
>but I can't use it.  Somebody, anybody, save me.

...stuff deleted...
>/*   Kent L. Shephard  : email - kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com   */

I ordered my upgrade from MIT the same week I got my BL firesale cube,
last November.  I have called an average of once a week, starting in
late February.  I got pretty close back in mid-March, when there were
two left, but one was DOA.  I am "next on the list" with the possibility
of another shipment "in the next two weeks."

Sometimes I think I should be more upset (with who?) but my '030 1.0a
cube is still (personally speaking) better than any Mac, DECstation, or
anything else I've used, excepting maybe an '040 2.1 cube.  So I wait
patiently, knowing that when it arrives, it will be worth the wait.  It
wouldn't be so bad if all the new software everyone was writing still
worked under 1.0a, but on the bright side, it will make the upgrade
arrival even more rewarding.

Still waiting...

tjb

| INTERNET: tjb@IceCube.unh.edu                  USPS:        Thomas Baker |
|   USENET: uunet!IceCube.unh.edu!tjb                         P.O. Box 213 |
|     NeXT: tjb@IceCube.unh.edu                           Durham, NH 03824 |

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (04/12/91)

In article <19111@cs.utexas.edu> osborn@cs.utexas.edu (John Howard Osborn) writes:
>In article <ad0y02uI06zI01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L. Shephard) writes:
>[Stuff deleted]
>>Also I purchased the hardware today.  I don't really trust my good old
>>reliable bookstore anymore.
>>/*   Kent L. Shephard  : email - kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com   */
>
>Never, ever, ever, trust a University.

     Absolutely, at least w.r.t. state universities, and I would
consider that admonition deficient inasmuch as it stops short of
including all other government bureaucracies.  Unlike NeXT :-),
their continued existence is completely independent of their
reputations.

>-
>-John H. Osborn
>-osborn@cs.utexas.edu

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "Well, I don't know, but I've been told, in the heat of the sun   *
*   a man died of cold..."  Oakland, 19 Feb. 1991, first time since  *
*  25 Sept. 1970!!!  Yippee!!!!  Wondering what's NeXT... :-)        *

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (04/12/91)

Howard Osborn) writes:

>>Never, ever, ever, trust a University.

>Absolutely, at least w.r.t. state universities, and I would
>consider that admonition deficient inasmuch as it stops short of
>including all other government bureaucracies.  Unlike NeXT :-),
>their continued existence is completely independent of their
>reputations.

My goodness, all these cynics lurking about.  The primary
focus of all large organizations -- and of most small ones --
is to continue themselves in existence, which if I apply it
to myself seems not at all unreasonable.  I agree with you
about entities like NeXT, which will quickly disappear if
they screw up too massively.  Neither governments nor major
corporations -- especially banks -- are subject to such
"corrections," for they depend on you and me to buy up their
mistakes.  But one can try to maintain a cheerful outlook
nevertheless, t'was ever thus, in one way or another. :-)

<> Ours is a world where people don't know what they want and
<> are willing to go through hell to get it. -- Don Marquis
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu (04/13/91)

writes:
>>In article <ad0y02uI06zI01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com> kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com
(Kent L. Shephard) writes:
	[...material deleted...]

>>Never, ever, ever, trust a University.

	Unless experience indicates otherwise.  In the interest of encouraging
	continued good conduct, it's probably good to give credit where credit
	is due and I have had entirely satisfactory dealings with the
	University of Maryland Computer Emporium and have seen other posts
	in this newsgroup that indicated satisfactory experiences with sales
	(and service) there.

>      Absolutely, at least w.r.t. state universities, and I would
> consider that admonition deficient inasmuch as it stops short of
> including all other government bureaucracies.  Unlike NeXT :-),
> their continued existence is completely independent of their
> reputations.

	Well, I've even had generally good experiences with the USPS (so maybe
	I'm atypical) and I've had some pretty bad experiences with commercial
	enterprises (some of which have indeed NOT experienced a continued
	existence but, then, even bureaucracies aren't all that secure
	nowadays) so I guess I'd say be wary but also don't write anyone off
	out of hand.

c.f.waltrip

Internet:  <waltrip@capsrv.jhuapl.edu>

Opinions expressed are my own.