[comp.sys.next] Does the WM read the .logout upon logging out?

das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) (04/13/91)

I have some programs that will give me grief if I do not explicitly kill
them off upon logging out.  Is there any way to attach some kind of checking
that would be done before the logout is completed?  If the WM reads the
.logout file (not likely, I guess) I could do it there.  Any suggestions?
Douglas Scott
zardoz!doug%woof.columbia.edu

isbell@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Art Isbell) (04/14/91)

In article <1991Apr13.040002.13291@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) writes:
>I have some programs that will give me grief if I do not explicitly kill
>them off upon logging out.  Is there any way to attach some kind of checking
>that would be done before the logout is completed?  If the WM reads the
>.logout file (not likely, I guess) I could do it there.  Any suggestions?

Apparently, loginwindow has both a LoginHook that is executed after login is
successfully completed but before Workspace launches and LogoutHook that is
executed after Workspace terminates.  These hooks are set (I did have to fish
for this solution :-) by root writing to the defaults database:

	dwrite loginwindow LogoutHook executable_path_name

I say "apparently" because I have been unable to get nphoon from the NeXT
archives to run using it as the LoginHook executable.  Actually, I wrote a
shell script that adds the directory where nphoon and its required executables
reside to PATH before running nphoon.  If I explicitly run this executable from
the command line, it works fine, but nothing seems to happen if I add the shell
script to /etc/rc.local or as LoginHook (actually, something happens, but the
background window is not replaced by a view of the moon in its current phase as
is supposed to happen, although the intensive computation and bit
transformations seem to be happening).  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

--
Art Isbell                 |\   |         |    |  |   \   315 Moon Meadow Lane