[comp.sys.next] Emacs 2.0

jm36+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Gardiner Myers) (03/19/91)

Emacs 2.0, the NextStep front end to GNU emacs is available on the
purdue Next Archives (sonata.cc.purdue.edu and the other machine I
can't remember just now) as pub/next/2.0-release/source/Emacs-2.0.tar.Z

This is the much-awaited version that works with version 2.0 of the
NeXT OS.

--
_.John G. Myers		Internet: John.G.Myers@andrew.cmu.edu
			LoseNet:  ...!seismo!ihnp4!wiscvm.wisc.edu!give!up

kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) (03/22/91)

In article <wbtKsIS00WBwAAtUcx@andrew.cmu.edu> jm36+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Gardiner Myers) writes:
>Emacs 2.0, the NextStep front end to GNU emacs is available on the
>purdue Next Archives (sonata.cc.purdue.edu and the other machine I
>can't remember just now) as pub/next/2.0-release/source/Emacs-2.0.tar.Z
>
>This is the much-awaited version that works with version 2.0 of the
>NeXT OS.

Hm... Well, I got the tar from precisely the location you mentioned
and it does not compile on a NeXTstation running 2.0.  When you do a
make it looks for an include file called something like,
/usr/include/streams/error.h .  Now this file does exist on NeXT
version 1.0, but not in the extended shipment of 2.0.  I believe you
must have compiled the code on NeXT cube that used to have 1.0 on it,
but then was upgraded.  Possible?

Anyway, it looks like it will be great... but not yet.

Thanks

Peter Kocks
pkocks@chemistry.stanford.edu

charlie@wam.umd.edu (Charles William Fletcher) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.231100.11979@leland.Stanford.EDU> kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) writes:
>In article <wbtKsIS00WBwAAtUcx@andrew.cmu.edu> jm36+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Gardiner Myers) writes:
>>Emacs 2.0, the NextStep front end to GNU emacs is available on the
>>purdue Next Archives (sonata.cc.purdue.edu and the other machine I
>>can't remember just now) as pub/next/2.0-release/source/Emacs-2.0.tar.Z
>>
>>This is the much-awaited version that works with version 2.0 of the
>>NeXT OS.
>
>Hm... Well, I got the tar from precisely the location you mentioned
>and it does not compile on a NeXTstation running 2.0.  When you do a
>make it looks for an include file called something like,
>/usr/include/streams/error.h .  Now this file does exist on NeXT
>version 1.0, but not in the extended shipment of 2.0.  I believe you
>must have compiled the code on NeXT cube that used to have 1.0 on it,
>but then was upgraded.  Possible?
>
>Anyway, it looks like it will be great... but not yet.
>
>Thanks
>
>Peter Kocks
>pkocks@chemistry.stanford.edu

I just used the binary that was in the tar file (on an 040 cube) and it works
great--no little marks, no dissappearing emacs when you paste. Works great, so
why compile!

Charlie

brocher@urz.unibas.ch (Dominic Brocher) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.231100.11979@leland.Stanford.EDU>, kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) writes:
[... stuff deleted]

> Hm... Well, I got the tar from precisely the location you mentioned
> and it does not compile on a NeXTstation running 2.0.  When you do a
> make it looks for an include file called something like,
> /usr/include/streams/error.h .  Now this file does exist on NeXT
> version 1.0, but not in the extended shipment of 2.0.  I believe you
> must have compiled the code on NeXT cube that used to have 1.0 on it,
> but then was upgraded.  Possible?

Use  /usr/include.objc/error.h  instead. This file seems to have been
moved around a bit...

> Anyway, it looks like it will be great... but not yet.
>
> Thanks
>
> Peter Kocks
> pkocks@chemistry.stanford.edu

I hope it works.

--Dominic

ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Doug DeJulio) (03/22/91)

In article <1991Mar21.231100.11979@leland.Stanford.EDU> kocks@jessica.stanford.edu (Peter Kocks) writes:
>In article <wbtKsIS00WBwAAtUcx@andrew.cmu.edu> jm36+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Gardiner Myers) writes:
>>Emacs 2.0, the NextStep front end to GNU emacs is available on the
>>purdue Next Archives (sonata.cc.purdue.edu and the other machine I
>>can't remember just now) as pub/next/2.0-release/source/Emacs-2.0.tar.Z
>>
>>This is the much-awaited version that works with version 2.0 of the
>>NeXT OS.
>
>Hm... Well, I got the tar from precisely the location you mentioned
>and it does not compile on a NeXTstation running 2.0.

Hm.

While he was working on this, John only had access to my NeXTstation,
running 2.0.  He didn't use any cubes at all, and my NeXTstation
doesn't have any of the 1.0 stuff on it.

I just copied the sources out of ~jgm/src on my Slab, and did a make
from scratch on them.  It worked perfectly.  No problem whatsoever.

If, indeed, the version you got off the archive site doesn't work
under 2.0, the only explanation I can think of is that an outdated
copy is installed there.  The one on my machine is fine.

Since John doesn't read this newsgroup because he's not a NeXT user
these days, I'll forward your message off to him.
--
Doug DeJulio
ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu

geoff@ITcorp.com (Geoff Kuenning) (04/14/91)

(John Gardiner Myers) writes:

> Emacs 2.0, the NextStep front end to GNU emacs is available on the
> purdue Next Archives (sonata.cc.purdue.edu and the other machine I
> can't remember just now) as pub/next/2.0-release/source/Emacs-2.0.tar.Z

I picked this up, and it works quite nicely.  One hint, though:  the
code requires that your local site be listed in /etc/hosts.  I know
you're going to ask "why wouldn't it be", but I run a standalone home
system and I thought /etc/hosts didn't matter to me.  It took me quite
a while to figure out that the reason the mouse didn't work was
because it couldn't find the output of "hostname" in /etc/hosts.
--
	Geoff Kuenning   geoff@ITcorp.com   uunet!desint!geoff