[comp.sys.next] NFF

wjs@fred.cs.washington.edu (William Shipley) (12/29/89)

Does anyone have any info on the "neutral file format" used by ray.app?
It really diminishes this demo's fun to not be able to create custom scenes.

-william shipley

PS: I've figured out light sources, that's about it.

jasmerb@mist.cs.orst.edu (Bryce Jasmer) (12/30/89)

In article <10249@june.cs.washington.edu> wjs@fred.cs.washington.edu.cs.washington.edu (William Shipley) writes:
>Does anyone have any info on the "neutral file format" used by ray.app?
>It really diminishes this demo's fun to not be able to create custom scenes.

NFF files are used by the program Ray which is just a front end for the
MTV Ray Tracer. You can get the MTV ray tracer and a bunch of extra files
that detail what NFF is and there are some sample NFF files (teapot and
some futuristic jet).

I will put these files on the cs.orst.edu archives in the directory:
/pub/next/ray

Bryce Jasmer
jasmerb@cs.orst.edu

mark@epsoft.UUCP (Mark Chamberlain) (04/14/91)

How do I display NFF files on a NeXT?

There are a number of NFF files and utilties on the archive-server at purdue, but there don't
seem to be any programs to actually display them, or convert them to something displayable.

TIA, Mark
---
Epsilon Software Limited, 38 Chandos Way, Golders Green, London, NW11 7HF
keeper of the Uk NeXT User Group - uunet!epsoft!nextug

tsui@copper.ucs.indiana.edu (Yufeng Tsui) (04/14/91)

In article <9104140312.AA02776@epsoft> mark@epsoft.UUCP (Mark Chamberlain) writes:

>How do I display NFF files on a NeXT?

I am not sure about 2.0 but in 1.0 there is a program called
ray-tracer that will let you do that.  After the race trace, you can
convert the filt to tiff or eps.  It will take a while on a 030...

--yufeng