[comp.sys.next] Gnu make problems with IB code

guppy@henry.mit.edu (Harold Youngren) (04/15/91)

While I am posting stuff, I recently had to get Gnu make up on my slab
for an X plotting application.  It seems to work great on most "standard"
unix-type Makefiles (and adds some nice feature, particularly for dealing with
libraries). Unfortunately Gnu make apparently barfs on IB generated applications.

Has anybody else had this problem?  Any fixes?

					Hal Youngren  guppy@henry.mit.edu

finn@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Lee Samuel Finn) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr15.023458.20404@athena.mit.edu> guppy@henry.mit.edu (Harold Youngren) writes:
>While I am posting stuff, I recently had to get Gnu make up on my slab
>for an X plotting application.  It seems to work great on most "standard"
>unix-type Makefiles (and adds some nice feature, particularly for dealing with
>libraries). Unfortunately Gnu make apparently barfs on IB generated applications.
>
>Has anybody else had this problem?  Any fixes?
>
>					Hal Youngren  guppy@henry.mit.edu

Yeah, don't use GNU make for IB apps.

Seriously, I've named GNU make gmake, and use it for everthing but
stuff made by the IB. As I recall the problem is that GNU make doesn't
do includes in the way that NeXT's /bin/make does, and it looked to me
to be easier to rename it then to futz with it to get all the
functionality of /bin/make (on the NeXT).