[comp.sys.next] CAN U DIG IT?

me@spirea.UiB.NO (My Account) (04/12/91)

Hi all.

Good news today - my upgrade arrived in its entirety :-)

2.0 upgrade went smoothly (I'm on a 030 cube with optical and 40mb accelerator, 16 MB RAM)

040 upgrade wasn't any problem either, I (wisely) have been collecting comp.sys.next articles in anticipation of this ;-)

Maneuvered around the twists of the new optical data cable and the turns of filter installation...

Figured I can use the SIMM puller on my teeth after the upgrade - hey gang, this'll be fun!

I powered up, and before I got a chance to see some real action, got the ROM monitor instead - 8-(

I was wondering if there was anybody out there in netland who know what:

"Exception #2 (0x8) at 0x1004046" means???

memory seems fine (it worked when I put it back in the 030...), 1/2 is parity (I bought) and 1/2 isn't (NeXT original) but parity is disabled.
"bod" gives nothing - the system hangs.
single user mode ditto.  I checked all the cables.  Twice.  I even tried some spares.  No go.

Yes, I've contacted NeXT, and of course been referred to B'Land (a firesale baby).  Left a msg at B'Land - hope they call back sometime soon...

If anyone has had a similar experience, feel free to share it with me, and what you had to do to fix things right.

Thanks.

sincerely,
"halfway there"

BTW - thanks to all those who tried to help with installing the Conner CP3100, I tried with 2.0 and got what else? - an error message.  I'm returning the drive under warranty and requesting a Quantum in the same (sane?) size in return.

Thor-Lee Legvold
University of Bergen
Norway (no - there aren't polar bears in the streets, so don't ask)
ppstl@nobergen.earn (or .bitnet)
ppstl@cc.uib.no
and now on NeXT... (this ones still working :-)
me@fiol.uib.no

--
Thor-Lee Legvold                 |         ppstl@nobergen.earn (or .bitnet)
University of Bergen             |         ppstl@cc.uib.no

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr11.225639.17131@ulrik.uio.no> me@spirea.UiB.NO (My Account) writes:
>Hi all.
>
>Good news today - my upgrade arrived in its entirety :-)
>
>2.0 upgrade went smoothly (I'm on a 030 cube with optical and 40mb accelerator, 16 MB RAM)
>
>040 upgrade wasn't any problem either, I (wisely) have been collecting comp.sys.next articles in anticipation of this ;-)

stuff deleted.

>I was wondering if there was anybody out there in netland who know what:
>
>"Exception #2 (0x8) at 0x1004046" means???

I had the same problem while doing my upgrade.

>memory seems fine (it worked when I put it back in the 030...), 1/2 is parity (I bought) and 1/2 isn't (NeXT original) but parity is disabled.
>"bod" gives nothing - the system hangs.
>single user mode ditto.  I checked all the cables.  Twice.  I even tried some spares.  No go.

It IS a memeory problem.  For some reason the NeXT wants to see parity
memory before it sees non-parity memory, even if parity checking is
disabled.  I have 8meg non-parity and 4 meg parity.  I tried all
combination of 4 meg blocks and the only one that worked was 4 meg parity
first, 8 meg non parity last.  I did that and it boots with no problem.

>Yes, I've contacted NeXT, and of course been referred to B'Land (a firesale baby).  Left a msg at B'Land - hope they call back sometime soon...
>
>If anyone has had a similar experience, feel free to share it with me, and what you had to do to fix things right.

like I said my problem was exactly the same last week.  Try my solution
and let me know what happens.

>Thanks.
>
>sincerely,
>"halfway there"
>
>Thor-Lee Legvold                 |         ppstl@nobergen.earn (or .bitnet)
>University of Bergen             |         ppstl@cc.uib.no
>NORWAY                                |        and now on NeXT...
>Hvor mye for datter'n din...? |        me@fiol.uib.no

            Good luck, KeNT
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */