[comp.sys.next] NeXT to go with 88K

tsych@pyrthoth.pyramid.com (Terry Sych @ Pyramid Technology Corp.) (04/11/91)

from San Jose (CA) Mercury News (Bits & Bytes) 4/10/91:

"... the company is doing something concrete to build up its
sales.  A Next source said company engineers are hard at work
on the new Next machine, which will be based on Motorola's
yet unannounced 88110 RISC microprocessor.  The good news
is the new computer will be a screamer in the $8,000 to
$10,000 range.  The bad news: Software written for the
current Nexts won't run on the new one, since they use another
Motorola microprocessor family.  A simplified software
conversion program is planned, however."

--Terry

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) (04/11/91)

tsych@pyrthoth.pyramid.com (Terry Sych @ Pyramid Technology Corp.) writes:

>from San Jose (CA) Mercury News (Bits & Bytes) 4/10/91:

>sales.  A Next source said company engineers are hard at work
>on the new Next machine, which will be based on Motorola's
>yet unannounced 88110 RISC microprocessor.
     ^^^^^^^^^^^^

  Formally unannounced, but very strongly hinted at...

>is the new computer will be a screamer in the $8,000 to
>$10,000 range.

  Educational price $5000??  I'll buy one!

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"If it weren't for your gumboots, where would you be?   You'd be in the
hospital, or in-firm-ary..."  F. Dagg

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/11/91)

In article <151480@pyramid.pyramid.com> tsych@pyrthoth.pyramid.com (Terry Sych @ Pyramid Technology Corp.) writes:

   from San Jose (CA) Mercury News (Bits & Bytes) 4/10/91:

   "... the company is doing something concrete to build up its
   sales.  A Next source said company engineers are hard at work
   on the new Next machine, which will be based on Motorola's
   yet unannounced 88110 RISC microprocessor.  The good news
   is the new computer will be a screamer in the $8,000 to
   $10,000 range.  The bad news: Software written for the
   current Nexts won't run on the new one, since they use another
   Motorola microprocessor family.  A simplified software
   conversion program is planned, however."

What is the chip in the new Data General Aviions?  Moto. has made some
grandiose claims about what they are going to do with the Motorola
line, but that is a couple of years down the road.  I hope NeXT is
getting a good deal because MIPSs processors are better.  They give
the performance results that they claim.

-Mike

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:

>In article <151480@pyramid.pyramid.com> tsych@pyrthoth.pyramid.com (Terry Sych @ Pyramid Technology Corp.) writes:

>What is the chip in the new Data General Aviions?

  The same 88100 as it's always been, but with new 88204 Cache MMUs
[they have 64K of cache on-chip vs 16K in the plain 88200].
  Motorola made a semi-announcement of their plans for the 88110
[superscalar/out of order execution etc/3-5x speed of 88100] at last
year's Hot Chips.  I doubt they'll get them out before the beginning of
'92 though [and if the 040 is anything to go by, don't expect them even
then].

>Moto. has made some
>grandiose claims about what they are going to do with the Motorola
>line, but that is a couple of years down the road.  I hope NeXT is
>getting a good deal because MIPSs processors are better.  They give
>the performance results that they claim.

  True, the MIPS R4000 would probably be just as good a chip as the
88110.  However, don't judge the 88K by Data General's Aviions.  There
are other 88K machines which do get much closer to what Motorola
claims [e.g. Harris NightHawk].

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Fame, fame, fame...  What's it good for?  Ab-so-lute-ly nothing

oneill@fornax.UUCP (Richard Oneill) (04/12/91)

In article <151480@pyramid.pyramid.com>,
   tsych@pyrthoth.pyramid.com (terry sych @ pyramid technology corp.) writes:
>from san jose (ca) mercury news (bits & bytes) 4/10/91:
>
>[...]  a next source said company engineers are hard at work
>on the new next machine, which will be based on motorola's
>yet unannounced 88110 risc microprocessor.

i'm probably opening a can of worms here, but anyone care to comment on
the ramifications of this decision. not with regard to *what* risc processor
they have chosen, but just the fact that they are going to be changing
processor architecture at all.

does this mean that anyone buying a 68040 next today is buying something
that will very soon be obsolete. in my department we will soon be throwing
out sun3's because aparrently sun isn't keen on supporting them any more.
is this going to happen with next and, if so, after how long.

what about software? are software houses going to be keen on shipping two
versions of their products for the next, one for the 68k, one for 88k.

thoughts anyone ?

	Richard.

--
Composing a suitably apt and witty .signature is left | oneill@fornax.UUCP
as an exercise for the reader.                        | oneill@cs.sfu.ca

amanda@visix.com (Amanda Walker) (04/12/91)

torrie@cs.stanford.edu (Evan Torrie) writes:

   >yet unannounced 88110 RISC microprocessor.
	^^^^^^^^^^^^
     Formally unannounced, but very strongly hinted at...

That's a real strong hint, then.  I picked up a data sheet at Motorola's
booth at Uniforum... :)
--
Amanda Walker						      amanda@visix.com
Visix Software Inc.					...!uunet!visix!amanda

gumby@Cygnus.COM (David V. Wallace) (04/12/91)

   Date: 11 Apr 91 17:29:06 GMT
   From: oneill@fornax.UUCP (Richard Oneill)

   In article <151480@pyramid.pyramid.com>,
      tsych@pyrthoth.pyramid.com (terry sych @ pyramid technology corp.) writes:
   >from san jose (ca) mercury news (bits & bytes) 4/10/91:
   >
   >[...]  a next source said company engineers are hard at work
   >on the new next machine, which will be based on motorola's
   >yet unannounced 88110 risc microprocessor.

   i'm probably opening a can of worms here, but anyone care to comment on
   the ramifications of this decision. not with regard to *what* risc processor
   they have chosen, but just the fact that they are going to be changing
   processor architecture at all.

NeXT has in the past played its cards close to its chest -- this is
the first time I've seen "a next source" quoted in an article.  The
NYT thing, on the other hand, claimed that it was a Moto source who
told them NeXT had chosen the 88K.  Is that because NeXT chose the 88K
or because NeXT, while investigating what chip to use next, talk to
Moto?

Speculating is fun (I do some below) but I wouldn't lay my money on
anything without hearing it from NeXT.

   does this mean that anyone buying a 68040 next today is buying something
   that will very soon be obsolete. in my department we will soon be throwing
   out sun3's because aparrently sun isn't keen on supporting them any more.
   is this going to happen with next and, if so, after how long.

For folks with source I doubt it will be an issue for a while.  After
all, the next compiler is the GNU compiler which can be retargetted to
a variety of machines.

And as far as the 88K goes, it turns out that you could make a tool
which would convert 68K binaries into 88K binaries (as long as they
ran completely in user space).  This is hard to do in general; it's
just due to certain architectural similarities that you can get away
with it in this particular combination.  Who knows about performance
though...

melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) (04/12/91)

In article <GUMBY.91Apr12060409@Cygnus.COM> gumby@Cygnus.COM (David V. Wallace) writes:

   And as far as the 88K goes, it turns out that you could make a tool
   which would convert 68K binaries into 88K binaries (as long as they
   ran completely in user space).  This is hard to do in general; it's
   just due to certain architectural similarities that you can get away
   with it in this particular combination.  Who knows about performance
   though...

Call me crazy, but I don't think developers should have too many
problems just recompiling their programs.  The word alignment is the
only one that springs to mind, assuming that they have written their
programs in Objective C and not assembler.

-Mike

songer@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu (Christopher M Songer) (04/12/91)

So if they go to another architecture, is it as simple as just recompiling?
What about the .nib files IB produces. I've heard them touted as a small
executable taged onto the beginning of your program, are 68K nib files
going to work with an IB for 88K?

-Chris

scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (04/13/91)

In article <2473@fornax.UUCP> oneill@fornax.UUCP (Richard Oneill) writes:
   In article <151480@pyramid.pyramid.com>,
      tsych@pyrthoth.pyramid.com (terry sych @ pyramid technology corp.) writes:
   >from san jose (ca) mercury news (bits & bytes) 4/10/91:
   >
   >[...]  a next source said company engineers are hard at work
   >on the new next machine, which will be based on motorola's
   >yet unannounced 88110 risc microprocessor.

   i'm probably opening a can of worms here, but anyone care to comment on
   the ramifications of this decision. not with regard to *what* risc processor
   they have chosen, but just the fact that they are going to be changing
   processor architecture at all.

First, consider the time-frame we are talking about here - realistically,
the processor has not even been truly announced, yet (or so they're
saying), meaning that any machine based on it is probably 18 to 24
months out.  By that time, there had darn well better be at least one
more generate of NeXT out there - else, I'm very worried for the market.
That one, of course, will be a 68040, probably running faster, maybe with
more graphics support - but basically the same machine we all know and
love.

But, obsolesence?  What do we want?  When my mother was asking me if
I'd really make good use of the machine I bought, or would I have stopped
using it within 9 months (like the previous machine I bought - an
Apple II, if you must know), my answer was that I'd be surprised if
I even have the same machine by then - I'll probably have already
upgraded.  It depends on what you want the machine to do, I guess.
If you want to do secretarial work on it, well, there will be enough
68000-based machines out there before a RISC machine gets out to
make it well worth publishers time to support it.  Beyond any
differences in cost between the RISC machines and the CISC machines.

But, seriously, there will certainly be another processor after the
next one used, be it CISC or RISC.  The 68000 class of machines is
over ten years old, and though it's not a bad architecture, it
can't hurt to open some windows and let in some fresh air.  After
all, ten years is about 12 hardware generations or so . . .

I'd bet that any RISC machine NeXT comes out with is going to be a
prime opportunity for them to recoup some of the profit margins they
are missing now - after all, you've gotta charge more for the fast
machine than you do for the slow one, else no one'll buy the slow
one!  So, don't expect the 88110 (was that the right number) based
NeXT, should it ever exist, to cost $3300 educational pricing . . .
rather, it will cost $8000, while the 40Mhz '040 version that's sold
in the same time-frame will probably be $3000 . . .

In a more global sense, I think that a port of NextStep, by NeXT, to
any non-68000 architecture is a great leap forward.  With two
architectures under their belt, the third would be quite a bit
simpler (unless the first two were extrememly similar).  That would
mean that NextStep could start to propagate to other machines,
which is a Good Thing.  For NeXT to really succeed, I think they need
to interoperate well with DEC machines, Sun machines, and other
established workstation vendors - what better way than to actually
be running NextStep on them?

I have no doubts about whether NeXT is working with some of the
RISC hardware out there.  The only thing that remains to be seen is
What, When, and How Much . . .

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

pfkeb@ebnextk.SLAC.Stanford.EDU (Paul Kunz) (04/13/91)

NextStep 1.0 .nib files produced on '030 NeXT are readable, editable, and
otherwise completely compatible with NextStep 1.0 on an IBM RS/6000 under
AIX.  Thus, if the byte order is the same (big endian), NextStep compiled
on other machines should not have trouble with .nib files.

On the other hand, once a .nib file has been edited by NextStep 2.0,
its not longer usuable for NextStep 1.0 machine, be it '030, '040, or
RS/6000.  Such is the price for progress, i.e. the really neat new
features in 2.0.

.nib files do not contain executable code, as I understand it (someone
correct me if I'm wrong), rather they are imbedded in your executable
code so that the Application object in each application can read it and
reproduce the objects you dragged into your application with the Interface
Builder.

gumby@Cygnus.COM (David V. Wallace) (04/13/91)

   Date: 12 Apr 91 14:40:00 GMT
   From: melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger)

   Call me crazy, but I don't think developers should have too many
   problems just recompiling their programs.

Believe me it's a severe hassle since you have to rebuild everything,
run it through your QA, change your documentation and price list, get
your support folks to know about the change (since people will ask new
questions about it, even if the hackers know it's the same).  All this
is easier for little companies than for big ones.

The converter I mentioned would be some sort of stopgap users could
use though; I wasn't anticipating that companies would use it and ship
the product that way!

edwardj@microsoft.UUCP (Edward JUNG) (04/14/91)

The 88110 has been announced by Motorola. The latest Data General
Aviion workstations use this newest incarnation of the 88k RISC
architecture. These machines were introduced a few months ago,
and according to InfoWorld, started shipping last month.

Specifications are available from Motorola.

--
Edward Jung
Microsoft Corp.

My opinions do not reflect any policy of my employer.

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (04/15/91)

scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) writes:

>First, consider the time-frame we are talking about here - realistically,
>the processor has not even been truly announced, yet (or so they're
>saying), meaning that any machine based on it is probably 18 to 24
>months out.  By that time, there had darn well better be at least one
>more generate of NeXT out there - else, I'm very worried for the market.

	This isn't necessarily the case. Given the upward compatibility
of the 88000 and 88100, announcement and delivery could follow in short
order. As an analogy, industry observers expect product announcements to
*accompany* Intel's release of the first 486SX.

>But, seriously, there will certainly be another processor after the
>next one used, be it CISC or RISC.  The 68000 class of machines is
>over ten years old, and though it's not a bad architecture, it
>can't hurt to open some windows and let in some fresh air.  After
>all, ten years is about 12 hardware generations or so . . .

	This line of thinking could, as well, argue that the internal
combustion engine is dated because it's 100+ years old.

>I'd bet that any RISC machine NeXT comes out with is going to be a
>prime opportunity for them to recoup some of the profit margins they
>are missing now - after all, you've gotta charge more for the fast
>machine than you do for the slow one, else no one'll buy the slow
>one!  So, don't expect the 88110 (was that the right number) based
>NeXT, should it ever exist, to cost $3300 educational pricing . . .
>rather, it will cost $8000, while the 40Mhz '040 version that's sold
>in the same time-frame will probably be $3000 . . .

	Now we're in the realm of sheer speculation and wishful thinking.
Some of us have better things to do with our time.

-----------
uunet!media!ka3ovk!raysnec!shwake				shwake@rsxtech

robertl@bucsf.bu.edu (Robert La Ferla) (04/15/91)

> In a more global sense, I think that a port of NextStep, by NeXT, to
> any non-68000 architecture is a great leap forward.  With two
> architectures under their belt, the third would be quite a bit
> simpler (unless the first two were extrememly similar).  That would
> mean that NextStep could start to propagate to other machines,
> which is a Good Thing.  For NeXT to really succeed, I think they need
> to interoperate well with DEC machines, Sun machines, and other
> established workstation vendors - what better way than to actually
> be running NextStep on them?

NeXTStep 1.0 has been running on the IBM RS/6000 for quite some time.  A
while back, Paul Kunz posted a message about his application "Reason"
running on an IBM RS/6000 Model 550 at 53 MIPS and 23 MFLOPS.  The RS/6000
is a RISC architecture.

Robert La Ferla
Lotus Development Corporation
Advanced Technology Group / Improv

kan@bugs-bunny.rtp.dg.com (Victor Kan) (04/16/91)

Edward> The 88110 has been announced by Motorola.

I don't know about this.

Edward> The latest Data General
Edward> Aviion workstations use this newest incarnation of the 88k RISC
Edward> architecture.

Really?  I guess I should ask my boss to replace my AV310c 88100
workstation with one of those 88110 workstations. :-)

Seriously, the recently announced AViiON 7000 and 8000 quadprocessor
servers still use the 88100 cpu, but do use the new 64Kb cache/MMU
chips.