[comp.sys.next] Urgent! Need a PD/SW graphing software w/ log functions

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (04/14/91)

Hi guys! I need a graphing software that takes text data file and
graph as accordingly. I need ability to select x-axis log scalling,
y-axis log scaling, or xy-axis log scaling. I know QuickPlot, but it
does do any log scaling... the statlab doesn't do that either.

or I thought Mathmatica might be able to take data points and graph them.
if so, can any one tell me how to do that?

say, I have 2 column of data, column 1 is to be log scaled and is to be
x-axis, and column 2 is normally scaled, and on y axis. Should be very
simple.

So PLEASE, if you know of anyway to do the graph, let me know NOW 'cause
the paper is due on Mon and I need to have it done by today April 14.
I know, I know, I should start working on that earlier, but I've been
studying in the hell, had almost 3 to 5 hrs of sleep for the last 3 weeks...
so PLEASE!!

Thanx a 10^9 in advance!!!!

--
cyliao@bagend.eng.umd.edu       o Q. Who am I?
      @wam.umd.edu      	o A. A NeXTed person with "small" HD and OD

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (04/15/91)

People! Please help! if you thought some one might had replied me, no, no
one had replied me yet, so please go ahead if you can help! Thanx a million!

follows the original posting:
================
>Hi guys! I need a graphing software that takes text data file and
>graph as accordingly. I need ability to select x-axis log scalling,
>y-axis log scaling, or xy-axis log scaling. I know QuickPlot, but it
>does do any log scaling... the statlab doesn't do that either.
>
>or I thought Mathmatica might be able to take data points and graph them.
>if so, can any one tell me how to do that?
>
>say, I have 2 column of data, column 1 is to be log scaled and is to be
>x-axis, and column 2 is normally scaled, and on y axis. Should be very
>simple.
>
>So PLEASE, if you know of anyway to do the graph, let me know NOW 'cause
>the paper is due on Mon and I need to have it done by today April 14.
>I know, I know, I should start working on that earlier, but I've been
>studying in the hell, had almost 3 to 5 hrs of sleep for the last 3 weeks...
>so PLEASE!!
>
>Thanx a 10^9 in advance!!!!

The data file is not that big, so re-type the data is not a big deal.
I do not know PostScript, so I cannot write my own program either, and I can
never get anything to work with IB... :-(

--
cyliao@bagend.eng.umd.edu       o Q. Who am I?
      @wam.umd.edu      	o A. A NeXTed person with "small" HD and OD
      @epsl.umd.edu		o    An Apple // guy
xxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxxx.xxxxxxx.xxx	o    An airplane pilot (I hope)

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (04/16/91)

	Well... NOT a SINGLE one had replied me, and I am a dead meat...
	This event tells me three things

	o There is no such a single piece of software available on NeXT that
	  is capable of ploting graph with log scaled axis.
	o Is some body going to write such a program? perhaps a modified
	  version of QuickPlot.
	o I really NEED to know how to use IB and PostScript, otherwise,
	  I can only program in PLAIN software, which is a WASTE of my NeXT!!
	  I need recommandation. what's the best way to learn them?

In article <1991Apr14.223255.1166@eng.umd.edu> cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) writes:
>People! Please help! if you thought some one might had replied me, no, no
>one had replied me yet, so please go ahead if you can help! Thanx a million!
>
>follows the original posting:
>================
>>Hi guys! I need a graphing software that takes text data file and
>>graph as accordingly. I need ability to select x-axis log scalling,
>>y-axis log scaling, or xy-axis log scaling. I know QuickPlot, but it
>>does do any log scaling... the statlab doesn't do that either.
[some deleted stuff]

>>So PLEASE, if you know of anyway to do the graph, let me know NOW 'cause
>>the paper is due on Mon and I need to have it done by today April 14.
>>I know, I know, I should start working on that earlier, but I've been
>>studying in the hell, had almost 3 to 5 hrs of sleep for the last 3 weeks...
>>so PLEASE!!
>>
>>Thanx a 10^9 in advance!!!!
>>
>The data file is not that big, so re-type the data is not a big deal.
>I do not know PostScript, so I cannot write my own program either, and I can
>never get anything to work with IB... :-(
--
cyliao@bagend.eng.umd.edu       o Q. Who am I?
      @wam.umd.edu      	o A. A NeXTed person with "small" HD and OD
      @epsl.umd.edu		o    An Apple // guy
xxxxxx@xxxxxx.xxxx.xxxxxxx.xxx	o    An airplane pilot (I hope)

cyliao@eng.umd.edu (Chun-Yao Liao) (04/17/91)

	First of all, thanks to EVERY ONE who replied me. I guess it's just
	because most people are hundred articles behind, so that I got a LOT
	of response at the due date night. There are three solutions.

	o GnuPlot: Lots people suggested downloading a copy. I did it as
	  followed the suggestion of the person who replied first. I am a C
	  novice, but was able to get ti work in about 1 hour or so. So
	  this should not be hard for everyone who needs a copy. And, it
	  really DOES the job. I love it! :-)

	o nxyplot: recently submitted to popular ftp sites. works under
	  OS 2.0 (I am still on 1.0, but should get my 040 AND 2.0 Today!!
	  that's another story)

	o QuickPlot: a hack to QuickPlot to allow QP to do log/log scaling

	Since I still can run nxyplot, I cannot tell anything about that.
	Thanks to pulliam@nasa.gov, I tried to mail you, but the maill keeps
	bouncing back.