[comp.sys.next] Looking in from the outside

elston@edwards-tems.af.mil (Mark Elston, NSI Inc., Edwards AFB CA) (04/13/91)

I am considering purchasing a NextStation in the next couple of months (when I
can get the $$ together and my wife won't chew me up and spit me out for it).
I have some of the 'glossy' documentation from Next, Inc. but I have been
hearing (OK, reading) in this newsgroup of some things available not
specifically mentioned in the ads.

What is SoftPC?  Is it an add in board? Software?  How much does it slow down
the system?

Does the system come standard with TeX?

How easy is it to access the DSP chip?  I do some math work that I could speed
up with access to some in-hardware fft routines.....

I have seen ads for NextStep (I think) interfaces to Mathematica.  Is it
difficult to devise something like this on your own?

The trouble with glossies is that you often wonder just how much is hype. :-)

BTW, Thanks to all those who responded to my previous questions about the Next
(Perceptions about the Next).  By and large response was very favorable and I
have been quite reassured that Next is a platform that could very well carry me
for a long time.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.
elston@edwards-tems.af.mil  | #include <witty_saying>                     |
In real life -- Mark Elston | #include <std_disclaimer>                   |
 Hero of the Oppressed. :-) | #define time fleeting                       |

luther@uop.edu (Pat Luther) (04/17/91)

elston@edwards-tems.af.mil (Mark Elston, NSI Inc., Edwards AFB CA) writes:

>I am considering purchasing a NextStation in the next couple of months (when I
>can get the $$ together and my wife won't chew me up and spit me out for it).

>What is SoftPC?  Is it an add in board? Software?  How much does it slow down
>the system?
SoftPC is a software program from Insignia that emulates an IBM. Programs
under it run at about the speed of a slow 386, or a fast 286. It doesn't slow
down anything else, and is the only way I know of to do multitasking in DOS :-)

>How easy is it to access the DSP chip?  I do some math work that I could speed
>up with access to some in-hardware fft routines.....
Very easy. The system comes with a whole slew of routines specifically for that,
and a debuger for 65001 assembly code.

>I have seen ads for NextStep (I think) interfaces to Mathematica.  Is it
>difficult to devise something like this on your own?
Probably not, with interface builder, but I believe the NeXT version of
Mathematica comes with a decent interface. I haven't gotten my copy yet,
though, so I can't tell you anything about it for sure.....

>The trouble with glossies is that you often wonder just how much is hype. :-)
Most of it. Such is the nature of advertising....The NeXTstation truly is an
amazing machine for the price, compared to the competition, though , IMHO.

>BTW, Thanks to all those who responded to my previous questions about the Next
>(Perceptions about the Next).  By and large response was very favorable and I
>have been quite reassured that Next is a platform that could very well carry me
>for a long time.

>Thanks in advance.
You're welcome.

>Mark.