[comp.sys.next] Windows taller than display..

salc@aristotle.shearson.com (Sal Cataudella) (04/11/91)

Hi folks,
	in the process of viewing some GIF files on a NeXT workstation,
I noticed that some GIF files create windows which are taller than the display.
The result is, of course, that I can't see the remaining portion of the GIF.
I cannot resize the window since the resize 'hot spots' are not in reach, and
the window cannot be picked by the title and pushed up enough to make the
window's resize region visible.

My questions are, will NeXT ever put resize regions on the top of the window as
well as the bottom? If not, is there some PostScript code that could be sent
to the WindowServer that would allow you to externally move a window
up/down/left/right so that it could be resized?

thanx,

Sal
--
 Sal Cataudella
 Internet: salc@alfred.shearson.com

In article <SALC.91Apr10162114@aristotle.shearson.com>
	salc@alfred.shearson.com writes:
>	in the process of viewing some GIF files on a NeXT workstation,

with what software?

>I noticed that some GIF files create windows which are taller than the display.

GIF files don't create windows.  GIF viewers create windows.
If the windows are taller than the display, your software is BROKEN.
1.0 applications should be using - getScreenSize: (Application);
- constrainFrameRect:toScreen: (Window) should prevent the
problem in 2.x applications.

					-=EPS=-

sutter@skat.usc.edu (Carl Sutter) (04/17/91)

In article <SALC.91Apr10162114@aristotle.shearson.com>
 salc@alfred.shearson.com writes:

>Hi folks,
>	in the process of viewing some GIF files on a NeXT workstation,
>I noticed that some GIF files create windows which are taller than the
> display.

Yes, I know that ViewGIF2 has this problem.  It is purely a missing
feature of that program.  Unfortunately, I have not had the time to
update the program for OS 2.0, and to include features such as this.

- Carl Suttter
sutter@usc.edu

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (04/17/91)

   In article <SALC.91Apr10162114@aristotle.shearson.com>
    salc@alfred.shearson.com writes:
   >I noticed that some GIF files create windows which are taller than the
   > display.

There are currently 3 GIF viewers for the NeXT, and one of these has
implemented the feature which sets huge images into a scrollview
automatically. You might want to get all 3, since each has at least
one neat feature which the other two do not.

It would be great to have the 3 apps superceded by one which would
have all the features and more.
--
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
 and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."