[comp.sys.next] Those offscreen pixels

flynn@shillelagh.cse.nd.edu (Patrick J. Flynn) (04/13/91)

In article <492@rosie.NeXT.COM>, jgraves@next.com (John Graves) writes:

>The file /usr/include/nextdev/video.h defines the number of visible pixels in a
> horizontal line and the size of a horizontal line in VRAM (1120 and 1152,
> respectively).
> Similarly, there are 832 visible vertical lines, but physically 910 fit into VRAM.

Hmm.

Script started on Fri Apr 12 14:01:08 1991
1csh>dc
10 k
1120 1152 / 832 910 / * p q
.8888888887
3csh>^D
script done on Fri Apr 12 14:01:53 1991

So what does NextStep do (if anything) with the 1/9 of VRAM that won't fit
on the screen?  I hate to see memory go to waste ;-)

--
Patrick J. Flynn, CompSci&Engg, UnivNotreDame, flynn@cse.nd.edu  ('til 7/1)

mikem@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Mike Morton) (04/14/91)

Patrick Flynn wrote:
>So what does NextStep do (if anything) with the 1/9 of VRAM that won't fit
>on the screen?  I hate to see memory go to waste ;-)

The same problem comes up for the Macintosh, where variable screen depth
means that as much as 7/8 or more of your VRAM may be unused.

Anyone want to figure out a way to use this memory on either machine as
a secondary disk cache?  Then you could call it a "videodisk" ;-)

 -- Mike Morton // P.O. Box 11299, Honolulu, HI  96828, (808) 676-6966 HST
      Internet: mikem@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
    (anagrams): Mr. Machine Tool; Ethical Mormon; Chosen Immortal; etc.

userCONK@mts.ucs.UAlberta.CA (Kenny Leung) (04/17/91)

In article <12453@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, mikem@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Mike Morton) writes:
>Patrick Flynn wrote:
>>So what does NextStep do (if anything) with the 1/9 of VRAM that won't fit
>>on the screen?  I hate to see memory go to waste ;-)
>
>The same problem comes up for the Macintosh, where variable screen depth
>means that as much as 7/8 or more of your VRAM may be unused.
>
>Anyone want to figure out a way to use this memory on either machine as
>a secondary disk cache?  Then you could call it a "videodisk" ;-)
>
> -- Mike Morton // P.O. Box 11299, Honolulu, HI  96828, (808) 676-6966 HST
>      Internet: mikem@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu
>    (anagrams): Mr. Machine Tool; Ethical Mormon; Chosen Immortal; etc.

The extra memory is probably used for imaging things off screen
and then moving them on-screen.  This is used to give the illu-
sion of better performance.  Ever wonder where the pictures
are being imaged when Writenow or some other application displays
a box labelled "Imaging Graphic"?
#! r