[comp.sys.next] Function of .NextTrash

das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) (04/17/91)

Can someone tell me the exact function(s) of the .NextTrash file **other**
than as the recepticle for things dumped in the Recycler?

I noticed my disk was getting full, so I did a complete listing of all files
that had been created or modified in the last day.  To my surprise, there were
several very large .snd files in my .NextTrash -- files that I had been moving
from my hard disk to my O.D. via the Workspace manager, but had certainly not
put in the Recycler?  Does the NeXT use that as a temp directory, and perhaps
not remember to clean it up?

I almost never use the Recycler myself, so I know I didnt put them there.

Thanks for any info.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Douglas Scott          Columbia University Computer Music Studio
Internet: <doug@woof.columbia.edu> <das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu>
UUCP: ...!columbia!woof!zardoz!doug          Phone: (703)765-4771

clp@home.HarvardSq.COM (Charles L. Perkins) (04/17/91)

In article <1991Apr17.030222.4675@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) writes:
> ........Does the NeXT use that as a temp directory, and perhaps
> not remember to clean it up?
>
> I almost never use the Recycler myself, so I know I didnt put them there.

In certain cases (e.g., when you Replace in during a copying operation), the
 Workspace Manager will make a copy of the old, clobbered file for you.

Although this is a nice feature is you occasionally bash things accidentally,
 it does have some strange side-effects (like disk space going away if you
 forget to periodically clean the trash).
								     Charles

jim@ljkiraly.lerc.nasa.gov (L J "Jim" Kiraly) (04/18/91)

In article <6420@husc6.harvard.edu> clp@home.HarvardSq.COM (Charles L. Perkins) writes:
->In article <1991Apr17.030222.4675@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
->das15@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Douglas A Scott) writes:
->> ........Does the NeXT use that as a temp directory, and perhaps
->> not remember to clean it up?
->In certain cases (e.g., when you Replace in during a copying operation), the
-> Workspace Manager will make a copy of the old, clobbered file for you.
->
->Although this is a nice feature is you occasionally bash things accidentally,
-> it does have some strange side-effects (like disk space going away if you
-> forget to periodically clean the trash).

I had similar problems, and also found myself a little too quick with
the command-r key combination- so I added some stuff to the
/private/adm/daily script to dump the recycler every night.  It works
fine and I can recover stuff that I didn't mean to delete and not
worry about disk space being wasted.  Here's what I added:

# Empty the Recycler(s) (Added by Jim 03/18/91)
echo 'emptying recycler(s) for jim, root, and auxdisk'
rm -r -f /jim/.NeXT/.NextTrash/*
rm -r -f /jim/.NeXT/.NextTrash/.[a-zA-Z]*
rm -r -f /.NeXT/.NextTrash/*
rm -r -f /.NeXT/.NextTrash/.[a-zA-Z]*
rm -r -f /auxdisk/.NextTrash/*
rm -r -f /auxdisk/.NextTrash/.[a-zA-Z]*