[comp.sys.next] Adjusting image size on monitor

lastole@athena.mit.edu (Lars A Stole) (04/16/91)

I recently received my 400MB slab and noticed that the image on the monitor began over an inch from the bottom edge of the glass.  This is much more than what I've seen on other slabs, and so I was hoping to stretch the image vertically about one-half inch.  On my old PC, my VGA monitor had two internal screws which you could adjust for vertical and horizontal size.  Does anyone know if similar screws exist in the NeXT monitor?  Has anyone tried to adjust the vertical size?

Lars Stole
MIT, Dept. of Economics

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr16.150858.8123@athena.mit.edu> lastole@athena.mit.edu (Lars A Stole) writes:
>I recently received my 400MB slab and noticed that the image on the monitor began over an inch from the bottom edge of the glass.  This is much more than what I've seen on other slabs, and so I was hoping to stretch the image vertically about one-half inc
>h.  On my old PC, my VGA monitor had two internal screws which you could adjust for vertical and horizontal size.  Does anyone know if similar screws exist in the NeXT monitor?  Has anyone tried to adjust the vertical size?
>
>Lars Stole
>MIT, Dept. of Economics

The NeXT monitor (old - no microphone) has adjusments for  width, height,
horizontal and vertical center, linearity - (don't touch this unless you
want images larger on the upper potion of the screen or the lower portion
of the screen), cutoff (contrast), white level (brightness), linear focus,
and focus.  These screws are located under ths plastic housing.

I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU DO WITH THIS INFORMATION.
IF YOUR MONITOR IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY - LET QUALIFIED SERVICE PEOPLE
DO THE ADJUSTMENTS.

Now that I have given the standard disclaimer.

I readjusted my monitor by putting  marks on the glass with a dry marker.
I made a line on each side of the monitor about 3/8 from the bezel.  I then
adjusted the image to fit, using width, height, horizontal and vertical
center.  I then adjusted the white level and cutoff to set the maximum and
minimum levels to my taste.  I then used the focus to make the image
sharp.  (I was initially adjusting to focus the moitor, but while I had it
open I figured what the hell.)

BTW - After my upgrade ('040) my monitor lost its sharp image - so it needed
adjusting just to look at.

                      Kent
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */