[comp.sys.next] Dock Problems

cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (R Eric Bennett) (04/18/91)

Can anybody tell me why my NeXT (recently upgraded to 2.0) won't save my
Dock setup?  Everytime I log in, I get a blank Dock!

Thanks.
    /---------------------------/ R. Eric Bennett \-----------------------\
    \ cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (unix box ) | "Put a stamp on it!"     \
     +------------------------------------------|           -Fab 5 Freddy   +
    / cerberus@itl.itd.umich.edu    (NeXT cube) |           "Yo MTV Raps"  /

murphy@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu (William J. Murphy) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr18.083538.8689@engin.umich.edu> cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (R Eric Bennett) writes:
>Can anybody tell me why my NeXT (recently upgraded to 2.0) won't save my
>Dock setup?  Everytime I log in, I get a blank Dock!

This happened to me when we got our NeXT Station.  My account on the station
was made the way one typically adds users on a UNIX system.  Unfortunately,
I was missing some files in the .NeXT directory of my home directory.  I
would suggest that you look to see whether you have the same files as
user me.  The other thing is that if you don't use the preferences in
the login in window to "set"  the icons, they won't stay around when you
log in next.

One of you system-guru-types can probably provide the specifics.
Bill Murphy
murphy@gibbs.physics.purdue.edu

spa@fct.unl.pt (Salvador Pinto Abreu) (04/19/91)

on 18 Apr 91 08:35:38 GMT,
cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (R Eric Bennett) said:

>> Can anybody tell me why my NeXT (recently upgraded to 2.0) won't save my
>> Dock setup?  Everytime I log in, I get a blank Dock!

Probably your ~/.NeXT directory is owned by root. It sometimes happens.

To fix:
	% cd
	% su
	Password: ...
	# chown <YOUR UID> .NeXT

or:
	% cd
	% mv .NeXT .NeXT-JUNK
	% mkdir .NeXT

Once this is done, your changes will be saved.
--
-- Salvador Pinto Abreu		<spa@fct.unl.pt> or <mcsun!unl!spa>
				Universidade Nova de Lisboa, PORTUGAL