[net.auto] What's a Superbird?

gmack@cisden.UUCP (Gregg Mackenzie) (01/18/86)

In article <2800@ut-ngp.UUCP> mberns@ut-ngp.UUCP (Mark Bernstein) writes:

>>       1970 Plymouth Superbird.
>
>What on earth is a Plymouth Superbird?  :-)   (I really don't know!)
>And why is (was) it so wonderful?

Basically it was a Road Runner, hence the name.  The Superbird (and
it's predecessor the '69 Dodge Daytona) was the result of some of the
earliest serious aerodynamics studies performed by the major car
companies throughout the mid- to late-sixties.  The studies showed
that a wedge-shaped, wind-cheating nose was required to cut resistance
around the front of the car.  They then found that the special nose
made it hard to keep the rear end on the ground, so a special stabilizer
was added to the rear.  It rose 2-1/2 ft from the rear deck (in later
tests they discovered that the hight of the stabilizer didn't make much
difference as long as the horizontal bar was parallel to the ground).

All of this was done for pure functionality without any regard to
styling.  However, the effect was that the car looked like it was
doing +100-mph sitting in the showroom.

The influence of these cars can still be seen 15 years later in your
sporty cars with their sleek front ends and rear-deck spoilers.

There were ~1900 Superbirds built and they came in various configurations
of 440 AT with 4-bbls and 6-packs, and 426 Hemi with 4-spd.  The wimpy
model produced a mere 425 hp.  Pure, American muscle.  I don't remember,
but I think they only built about 700 Daytonas.

The Hemi models were capable of *+180mph* speeds...as is!...right off the
showroom floor!  And they were perfectly street legal.  The effect was
that you could buy a genuine race car for $4700 from your local car
dealer.  Why anyone would ever want to go that fast on the street, I'll
never know.

Gregg Mackenzie
cisden!gmack

rdz@ccice6.UUCP (Robert D. Zarcone) (01/22/86)

I would like to add just one thing to your excellent review.  Both of these
cars were sold really only so Chrysler could be more competitive in NASCAR
racing.  Ford was beating their pants off and NASCAR had (has?) a rule that
a car could not compete as a Grand National "stock" car unless the manufacturer
produced at least 500 of that body style (and engine configuration?) per
year.  If I remeber correctly, Chrysler was quite succesful in racing with
this design.  I believe it was dropped because of Ford's withdrawl from
racing and nose diving muscle car sales in general.