[comp.sys.next] Other GUIs on NeXT hardware?

dsaltarelli@cmcvx1.claremont.edu (saltarelli, donald joseph jr.) (04/16/91)

I think I read something in Personal Workstation which said that some co. was
going to come out with a Motif interface that ran Motif and other apps on the
NeXT...  Anybody heard anything similar?

I'm interested in the next, but I'm wondering about whether the platform is
going to survive.  Does anybody know how many and which applications are
available for NeXT right now?  What does NeXTStep have to offer over Sun's Open
Look?

Is the main reason to by a NeXT the price/performance ratio, or something I'm
overlooking?

D.J.

"Anyone can spot wrong answers. It take a truly creative mind to spot wrong
questions." - Anthony Jay

asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Adam Smith) (04/19/91)

dsaltarelli@cmcvx1.claremont.edu (saltarelli, donald joseph jr.) writes:

> Is the main reason to by a NeXT the price/performance ratio, or something I'm
> overlooking?

Three weeks ago I would have asked similar questions.

Now, after have my machine for a couple of weeks, I would say that you are
missing something that you can only gain by having a NeXT. There is an
indescribable thrill to these damn things. I have worked, almost
continually, on Macs and PCs for almost three years now and the NeXT is SO
far superior to either platform I can scarcely believe it.

In short, if you had asked me if you should buy a NeXT three weeks ago, I
would have said "well, it depends...".
Today I say "unless you have a specific purpose for your computer that needs
to be addressed immediately and will be it's primary function and the NeXTB
does not currently address it, buy one. These things are too good to leave
alone.

  asmith@questor.wimsey.bc.ca         The Chameleon Papers - Vancouver, BC
                   Graphic Artist - Bad Mood Guy - NeXT user
   Human beings are a great disappointment to me, and it doesn't help one
                       bit that I am one  --SF
                   Fingers Down The Throat Of Love