[comp.sys.next] Tool Inspector Buttons

charlie@wam.umd.edu (Charles William Fletcher) (04/17/91)

The application that is activated when you "double-click"
on an icon may be set with the buttons in the Tool Inspector.
(For example, a .ps file may be set to go the Previewer or to Edit.)

Question: How do I add buttons in the Tool Inspector window so that
I may access other application (like YAP on my example.) I've checked
the docs but haven't turned up anything. Anyone know how to do this
or where to look for help?

Thanks,
Charlie
cwf@wam.umd.edu

youki@newmars.ics.osaka-u.ac.jp (Youki Kadobayashi) (04/18/91)

> The application that is activated when you "double-click"
> on an icon may be set with the buttons in the Tool Inspector.
> (For example, a .ps file may be set to go the Previewer or to Edit.)

I think the "double-click approach" is not suitable for UNIX.  I've
written an application which is based on "drag-and-drop" approach; it
enables you to process one file with various tools. For example, you
can compress a .ps file, Yap it, Preview it, or Edit it, just by
dragging an icon from the Workspace to the window representing the
application.

I think this software is useful in 1.0, but I'm not sure if it's also
useful in 2.0, since I don't know what is improved in 2.0, and what
facilities Workspace Manager2.0 provide.

I think I can help you if Canon begins shipping 2.0 in Japan.  I've
never heard of such a good news. I'm eagerly awaiting for 2.0.

Possible alternative is that some kind soul makes adaptation to
NextStep 2.0. You can obtain the source code and documentation from
cs.orst.edu, in directory ~ftp/pub/next/sources/SystemWorks.tar.Z.
--
Youki Kadobayashi
Dept. of Info. and Comp. Sci, Osaka University, Japan

charlie@wam.umd.edu (Charles William Fletcher) (04/18/91)

In article <YOUKI.91Apr18174435@newmars.ics.osaka-u.ac.jp> youki@newmars.ics.osaka-u.ac.jp (Youki Kadobayashi) writes:

>> The application that is activated when you "double-click"
>> on an icon may be set with the buttons in the Tool Inspector.
>> (For example, a .ps file may be set to go the Previewer or to Edit.)
>
>I think the "double-click approach" is not suitable for UNIX.
              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
   YES! I fully agree. There are times when the "d-c" approach is right,
like starting up an application. But for the general use of UNIX it isn't.
Consider 'make'-you should just be able to drag your program icon onto
the make icon and the file is 'make'd'(?)-someone want to give me the
proper verb here--BTW, this is the way an Iris (SGI) OS works. Anyway,
I thought about this in the early NeXT days-after all the Black Hole (re:
Recycler) works this way, but it was my understanding that it was difficult
if not impossible (?) due the the priority levels of the icons and window.
I will be very interested in seeing your code. 2.0 (re:2.1) is GREAT-
but it still lacks this feature.

-charlie

>  I've
>written an application which is based on "drag-and-drop" approach; it
>enables you to process one file with various tools. For example, you
>can compress a .ps file, Yap it, Preview it, or Edit it, just by
>dragging an icon from the Workspace to the window representing the
>application.
>
>I think this software is useful in 1.0, but I'm not sure if it's also
>useful in 2.0, since I don't know what is improved in 2.0, and what
>facilities Workspace Manager2.0 provide.
>
>I think I can help you if Canon begins shipping 2.0 in Japan.  I've
>never heard of such a good news. I'm eagerly awaiting for 2.0.
>
>Possible alternative is that some kind soul makes adaptation to
>NextStep 2.0. You can obtain the source code and documentation from
>cs.orst.edu, in directory ~ftp/pub/next/sources/SystemWorks.tar.Z.
>--
>Youki Kadobayashi
>Dept. of Info. and Comp. Sci, Osaka University, Japan

eht@cs.cmu.edu (Eric Thayer) (04/19/91)

[stuff about dragging to App icon deleted]

If you are interested, take a look at /NextDeveloper/Examples/Acceptor.  You
may find what you want there.

mcohen@speech-sun.ntt.JP (USR2-Group) (04/19/91)

Wrt writing applications that accept files drug into them, check out
Jayson Adams' Acceptor, in 2.0 NextDeveloper/Examples.