[comp.sys.next] Making the slab portable

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (04/15/91)

I was wondering whether anyone has come up with a solution to making
the NeXTstatioon into a "slabtop" computer, i.e., semi-portable.
What I have in mind is a D-19 connector with a switch or push-button
connected to it, to replace the power-on button on the keyboard; this
would allow one to connect a terminal or PC/MAC terminal emulator to
one of the serial ports running a getty, without having the monitor
connected at all.

I am thinking of the possiblity of taking the "slabtop" from home
(where I use it most of the time) to the office, where I can connect
it to  ethernet, load/unload software/NeXTmail, etc.

At present I see no way of doing this without spending an extra $
700-800 for a second monitor/keyboard/mouse to keep at the office (if
these are sold separately). We have plenty of terminals sitting
around, or better, if I can just start up the NeXT after xonnecting it
to the network, I could rlogin and do all my housekeeping remotely.

And while we are on the subject of wishful thinking: the same D-19
connector could be outfitted with a cable, a toggle switch, and
another  D-19 connector, and inserted between the slab and the
monitor, allowing one to switch off the monitor and save 150 W of power.

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

sherwood@space.UAlberta.CA (Sherwood Botsford) (04/18/91)

In article <HARDY.91Apr14140546@golem.ps.uci.edu> hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) writes:
>I was wondering whether anyone has come up with a solution to making
>the NeXTstatioon into a "slabtop" computer, i.e., semi-portable.

The classic way to make a slabtop  (I like that name...) would be to build
a megapixel lcd screen into one face of the slab, then have a stand on the back
much as a free standing picture frame does.  If you prefer the monitor, you
lay it flat, and hook up as usual. Keyboard clips to an appropriate dent in the
case.  Move the floppy drive into the keyboard.  (Be rather awkward putting
in a floppy while the critter is standing on edge.)  A handle on one edge,
trackball in the keyboard, or separate mouse (wireless preferably) (Hmm.
Make the keyboard wireless too.)  If next could ad the GO type pen interface
the thing would be usable in lecture halls & airplanes...  The mind boggles.

My boss has a toshiba 386 based transportable.  He would slaughter innocent
children will glee to get a next slaptop.  (I would too, but I can't afford
a plain next, let alone all the legal fees for the slaughter... )

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (04/19/91)

Let's not get "carried away"!

Greetings,
Hardy