[comp.sys.next] UUCP/Mail setup problem

messer@cs.ubc.ca (Joerg Messer) (04/19/91)

  I was wondering if someone with UUCP experience has seen the following
problems whilst trying to get a UUCP/Mail connection setup. I've managed
to get UUCP working, but I'm having problems trying to get sendmail to
process the mail spool files once they've arrived on my NeXTstation.
Mail files from the mail relay machine just end up in the X. and TM.
directories without geting any further. Also, if I try to send mail
using "mail -v", I get the following error messages.

  joerg@bdc.ubc.ca... Connecting to bdcsun via uucp...
  can't get working directory; will try to continue
  uux failed. code -1
  joerg@bdc.ubc.ca... unknown mailer error 255
  joerg/dead.letter... Sent

I've checked the sendmail configuration and it appears to be forwarding
things correctly. I've also played with the permissions on the UUCP
spooling directories without getting anywhere. If anyone has any
suggestions on how I might diagnose this little problem, I'd love
to hear from you.

Joerg Messer   				        joerg@bdc.ubc.ca
Biosciences Data Centre
2204 Main Mall
University of British Columbia               Ph:  (604) 228-6527
Vancouver, Canada, V6T 1W5                   Fax: (604) 228-2416

JKIGHT@auvm.auvm.edu (Jeff Kight) (04/19/91)

======================================================================== 56
In article <1991Apr19.033813.29488@cs.ubc.ca>, you say:

>  I was wondering if someone with UUCP experience has seen the following
>problems whilst trying to get a UUCP/Mail connection setup. I've managed
>to get UUCP working, but I'm having problems trying to get sendmail to
>process the mail spool files once they've arrived on my NeXTstation.
>Mail files from the mail relay machine just end up in the X. and TM.
>directories without geting any further. Also, if I try to send mail
>using "mail -v", I get the following error messages.
>
>  joerg@bdc.ubc.ca... Connecting to bdcsun via uucp...
>  can't get working directory; will try to continue
>  uux failed. code -1
>  joerg@bdc.ubc.ca... unknown mailer error 255
>  joerg/dead.letter... Sent
>
>I've checked the sendmail configuration and it appears to be forwarding
>things correctly. I've also played with the permissions on the UUCP
>spooling directories without getting anywhere. If anyone has any
>suggestions on how I might diagnose this little problem, I'd love
>to hear from you.

ok...we had the same prob...there seems to be a little discrepancy with
how uucp handles domain names...

if you look in the /usr/spool/uucp directory...you will notice something
like bdc.ubcX...

When uucp creates the spool directories, it uses the fullname (ie including
domain) but when it references your host (ie to send/receive mail it goes
with your definition of probably just bdc.

So what happens is you have spool files based on the whole domain, but
when it looks to add stuff based on the UUCP node name, it cant find an
equivalent spool file...

Now, if you have a machine with the name longer than 6 (I think) characters,
you don't have the problem because its truncated after that...

Anyhow...what should you do?...either change the node name or the uucp
node name...after I did that...it worked fine...

(ie sinai.umd.edu was giving spool files like sinai.uX, when I changed the
 node name to sinai (same thing in the L.sys) everything was fine)

---
Jeff Kight                                          jkight@auvm.auvm.edu
University Computing Center                           jkight@auvm.bitnet
The American University                                   (202) 885-2281
Washington DC  20016-8019

jkight@is-next.umd.edu (Jeff Kight) (04/19/91)