[comp.sys.next] Now I'm really p*ssed.

matthews@is-next.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (04/19/91)

Damn.

I recently posted having problems getting a Fujitsu 2263 booting after a
format with Rory Bolt's formatter program and a BuildDisk on NeXTStep 2.1.
The problem was it didn't have a recognizable blk0 boot block (unknown binary
format or something like that).

It wasn't the Fujitsu 2263.  It's doing the same damn thing on my 2261.

Has ANYONE successfully done a BuildDisk after upgrading to NeXTStep 2.1?

And, how the HELL can I fix this problem?  Now I have it set so I can boot
off my internal drive (must still have a boot block there, and I booted from
floppy <if anyone hasn't gotten that program from the archives, DO SO, it'll
save your life>, mounted the drives, copied sdmach from the external to the
internal, and told it to boot of sd(1,0,0) -- it finds sdmach and goes on
booting off the external after that), but that's an ugly hack and I get some
funny errors.

Speaking of errors, I get panics frequently now when I try to shut down, and
it just as frequently fails to unmount the root partition.

Just what the h*ll is happening to my system, anyway?
------
Mike Matthews, matthews@is-next.umd.edu/matthews@umdd (bitnet).
------
Insert a stupid quote of your choice...

abe@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Vic Abell) (04/19/91)

In article <8446@umd5.umd.edu> matthews@is-next.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) writes:
>Damn.
>
>The problem was it didn't have a recognizable blk0 boot block (unknown binary
>format or something like that).

Have you tried using /etc/disk to write the boot block?

	% su
	# /etc/disk -b /dev/*

waltrip@capd.jhuapl.edu (04/20/91)

In article <8446@umd5.umd.edu>, matthews@is-next.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) writes:
> Damn.
>
> I recently posted having problems getting a Fujitsu 2263 booting after a
> format with Rory Bolt's formatter program and a BuildDisk on NeXTStep 2.1.
> The problem was it didn't have a recognizable blk0 boot block (unknown binary
> format or something like that).
>
> It wasn't the Fujitsu 2263.  It's doing the same damn thing on my 2261.

	Was Rory Bolt's formatter program also run first on the 2261?

> Has ANYONE successfully done a BuildDisk after upgrading to NeXTStep 2.1?

	[...bunch of scary stuff which I wish I could help with but can't
	    omitted...]

c.f.waltrip

Internet:  <waltrip@capsrv.jhuapl.edu>

Opinions expressed are my own.