I can't find the cut command on the NeXT.  There is no man page either.
Is it there?  Am I being hopelessly SysV again?  If so, does NeXT/BSD
have an alternate?  I really need this for a lot of scripts I run.
--
Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				  412-471-5320
...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp			rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr5.125124.9067@investor.pgh.pa.us> rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) writes:
>I can't find the cut command on the NeXT.  There is no man page either.
>Is it there?  Am I being hopelessly SysV again?  If so, does NeXT/BSD

     No.  Yes.  No, but you can pick up the cut+paste package via
anonymous ftp from the comp.sources.unix archives at ftp.uu.net
(same machine as uunet.uu.net).  The last version of it that I
picked up had one minor, though irritating, bug, but it was fairly
easy to work around it.

>have an alternate?  I really need this for a lot of scripts I run.
>--
>Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA				  412-471-5320
>...!uunet!pitt!investor!rbp			rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "Well, I don't know, but I've been told, in the heat of the sun   *
*   a man died of cold..."  Oakland, 19 Feb. 1991, first time since  *
*  25 Sept. 1970!!!  Yippee!!!!  Wondering what's NeXT... :-)        *

In article <1991Apr8.234203.22046@mp.cs.niu.edu>
	bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) writes:
>     No.  Yes.  No, but you can pick up the cut+paste package via
>anonymous ftp from the comp.sources.unix archives at ftp.uu.net

But don't try naming SysV-style paste "paste"--NeXT already has a
(completely unrelated) utility by that name.

					-=EPS=-

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (04/09/91)

Scott Bennett writes
> In article <1991Apr5.125124.9067@investor.pgh.pa.us> rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us
(Bob Peirce #305) writes:
> >I can't find the cut command on the NeXT.  There is no man page either.
> >Is it there?  Am I being hopelessly SysV again?  If so, does NeXT/BSD
>
>      No.  Yes.  No, but you can pick up the cut+paste package via
> anonymous ftp from the comp.sources.unix archives at ftp.uu.net

If you grab cut+paste, be sensitive to the fact that there are programs
called "copy" and "paste" on the NeXT that allow you to share the
PasteBoard between the window server and your shell, which is pretty
nifty.  You might not want to clobber "paste", but to name it something
different.

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu (John R. Schutz) (04/11/91)

rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us (Bob Peirce #305) writes:

>I can't find the cut command on the NeXT.  There is no man page either.
>Is it there?  Am I being hopelessly SysV again?  If so, does NeXT/BSD
>have an alternate?  I really need this for a lot of scripts I run.

Well, a while back I posted a similiar request in another group.  Jon
LaBadie was nice enough to mail me a shell script he wrote to emulate
cut.  There are a couple things that are different from cut(1), but it
seems quite sufficient for normal use.  If anyone wants a copy of
this, e-mail me.  If enough want it, I will post.

							john

--
| John R. Schutz                     | Email&NeXTmail:                       |
| A learning NeXTie                  |		john@csrnxt1.ae.utexas.edu   |

scott@sage.uchicago.edu (Scott Deerwester) (04/20/91)

In article <474@heaven.woodside.ca.us> glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:
>   Scott Bennett writes
>   > In article <1991Apr5.125124.9067@investor.pgh.pa.us> rbp@investor.pgh.pa.us
>   (Bob Peirce #305) writes:
>   > >I can't find the cut command on the NeXT.  There is no man page either.
>   > >Is it there?  Am I being hopelessly SysV again?  If so, does NeXT/BSD
>   >
>   >      No.  Yes.  No, but you can pick up the cut+paste package via
>   > anonymous ftp from the comp.sources.unix archives at ftp.uu.net
>
>   If you grab cut+paste, be sensitive to the fact that there are programs
>   called "copy" and "paste" on the NeXT that allow you to share the
>   PasteBoard between the window server and your shell, which is pretty
>   nifty.  You might not want to clobber "paste", but to name it something
>   different.
>
>   --
>    Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
>    glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers
>    ..{adobe,next}!heaven!glenn		415-851-1785 (fax 851-1470)

The very first thing I do after a NeXT OS upgrade is:

# mv /bin/paste /bin/p

shortly followed by a make and a copy of paste(1) and cut(1) to
/usr/local/bin.
--
Scott Deerwester            | Internet: scott@tira.uchicago.edu  | ~{P;N,5B~}
Center for Information and  | Phone:    312-702-6948             |