[comp.sys.next] HELP! CAN'T GET MY '040 TO WORK!

stuart@previous.ADS.COM (Stuart Crawford) (04/12/91)

I've upgraded successfully to 2.0, and have done the fix to ensure that the
boot block is written.  When the '040 is installed and we turn on the
machine, a window comes up saying "Loading from Network" (with a fancy animated
icon!) and everything just hangs.

Our system guy is stumped and is having difficulties getting help from NeXT
and/or Businessland.

We are running a non-NetInfo network here.  We get the same problem even if we
try to power up in single user mode.

Any suggestions?  Thanks in advance,

Stuart
--

	Stuart

In article <STUART.91Apr11102946@previous.ADS.COM>
	stuart@previous.ADS.COM (Stuart Crawford) writes:
>                        When the '040 is installed and we turn on the
>machine, a window comes up saying "Loading from Network" (with a fancy animated
>icon!) and everything just hangs.

Use the `p' command in the ROM monitor to set "verbose test mode"
to yes.  The default setting is for people with IQs slightly
above room temperature, and former Macintoy users.  If you want
to know what's happening (and, more importantly, what's not
happening) at boot time, you need to have the real UNIX console
window visible.

					-=EPS=-

stuart@previous.ADS.COM (Stuart Crawford) (04/12/91)

Many thanks to all who replied with useful advice.  I'm up and running.
--

	Stuart

ifjrs@acad3.alaska.edu (STANNARD JOHN R) (04/20/91)

In article <1482@toaster.SFSU.EDU>, eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes...
>In article <STUART.91Apr11102946@previous.ADS.COM>
>	stuart@previous.ADS.COM (Stuart Crawford) writes:
>
>Use the `p' command in the ROM monitor to set "verbose test mode"
>to yes.  The default setting is for people with IQs slightly
>above room temperature, and former Macintoy users.  If you want

Really, Eric!  Do you ALWAYS get out of bed on the wrong side?
What is the point of your "devastating" remarks you so often
indulge in?  You have plenty of good information for people,
which you OFTEN share, and I'm sure it is much appreciated,
but LIGHTEN UP on people (known or unknown) that don't match
the exact same life experiences that you've had.  Grow up.

John

--

John Stannard
ifjrs@acad3.fai.alaska.edu		BITNET:  IFJRS@ALASKA

"God is the Answer!"   "Oh?? ... er, ... What was the Question?"

--

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr20.062540.27379@ims.alaska.edu>
ifjrs@acad3.alaska.edu writes:

>In article <1482@toaster.SFSU.EDU>, eps@toaster.SFSU.EDU
>(Eric P.  Scott) writes...

>>In article <STUART.91Apr11102946@previous.ADS.COM>
>>stuart@previous.ADS.COM (Stuart Crawford) writes:

>>Use the `p' command in the ROM monitor to set "verbose test mode"
>>to yes.  The default setting is for people with IQs slightly
>>above room temperature, and former Macintoy users.  If you want
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

>Really, Eric!  Do you ALWAYS get out of bed on the wrong side?
>What is the point of your "devastating" remarks you so often
>indulge in?  You have plenty of good information for people,
>which you OFTEN share, and I'm sure it is much appreciated,
>but LIGHTEN UP on people (known or unknown) that don't match
>the exact same life experiences that you've had.  Grow up.

Where does all this parental judgment come from, anyway?  So
what if he *did* get out of bed on the wrong side?  It's not
hurting anyone, and I think a person ought -- at least -- to
get up or be irrascible or however they like.  If anyone was
put off by that remark, let them think of room temperature
in degrees Kelvin.  Besides, IQ tells how big your gas tank
is, not what kind of fuel nor what sort of engine you have
under the hood.  Just now it's 300 degrees K.  in here, and
if Eric gets to ya, chill out yerself.  When someone feeds
your face, you don't give them grief over the plate it's
served up on, do you?  Same thing with feeding your mind,
which Eric is rather generous about, I think.  Besides, I
*like* tart remarks, for the sheer fun of it.

<> Man invented language to satisfy his deep need to
<> complain. -- Lily Tomlin
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson