[comp.sys.next] Cheaper RAM exists!

kickaha@gargoyle.uchicago.edu (Brian Boonstra) (04/20/91)

Having received my NeXTstation color recently, a friend and I opened the
case to obtain part numbers for the 4 MB SIMMs used by the color machines.
I believe the same RAM is used for the new Cubes.
 Anyway, thanks to William Pietri, those quirky 72 pin dual ported 4 MB
SIMMs have been found to be identical to the 4MB SIMMs used by the PS/2 Model
70 (IBM part no. 2933).
 In addition, and again thanks to William, the best deal on these babies is
from South Coast Electronics, (800) 289-8801 [or (213) 208-3260 for you
international types]. They're out of LA, and I can recall having been
satisfied when I bought Mac memory from them a couple years back. Apparently
they even KNOW they're stocking NeXT RAM - but only if you speak with
one of the sales reps named Hani. Otherwise just say you're looking for
PS/2 Model 70 RAM. William says they're asking about $300 for 4MB SIMMs.
 I hope this is some help to those who are looking to upgrade their color
machines.

     \\\\\\\\\
     /Kickaha/
     \\\\\\\\\

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (04/21/91)

On 19-Apr-91 in Cheaper RAM exists!
user Brian Boonstra@gargoyle. writes:
> Anyway, thanks to William Pietri, those quirky 72 pin dual ported 4 MB
>SIMMs have been found to be identical to the 4MB SIMMs used by the PS/2 Model
>70 (IBM part no. 2933).

Now this is the most important question.  Those 72 pin 4 MB simms look
ALOT like the 72 pin jobs used in the Macintosh IIfx.  This is important
bacause the going price for those IIfx simms is $150 as opposed to $300
for the PS/2 Model 70 simms.  Does anyone know for sure or can anyone
find out if these simms are the same.