[comp.sys.next] Colour Palette on a ColorStation

spinner@wpi.WPI.EDU (Bevan R S Wang) (04/12/91)

	I need to know how many colours (the colour palette) is on the
	NeXT ColorSystem.  I have called NeXT five times already and
	I get a different answer every time.... so far I NeXT says:

	It has a palette of 4096 and you can have 256 colours on the
	screen at once.

	It has a palette of 16.2 million and 256 colours at once.

	It has a palette of 16.2 million with 4096 colours at once.

	Now I doubt the last one, but the first sounds "dinky" and the
	second sounds about right.

	Any help will be appreciated....thanks in advance

	Bevan Wang
Bevan R.S. Wang
Internet: spinner@wpi.wpi.edu
America Online: Bevan Wang

robertl@bucsf.bu.edu (Robert La Ferla) (04/13/91)

I think the problem stems from the definition of a color palette.  There
are two types of palettes, software and hardware.  The hardware palette is
what the video hardware can reproduce on the screen independent of the actual
colors that your monitor can reproduce.  The software palette is known as
the "color wheel" and allows you to select colors from a virtual palette.
The virtual palette is 32 bit color (24 bit color + 8 bit transparency) for
a total of 16,777,216 colors plus transparency.

The NeXTStation Color has 16 bit color which is 4 bits red, 4 bits green,
4 bits blue and 4 bits transparency (alpha channel)  The color content is
then 12 bits so 2^12 = 4096 colors available on the hardware color palette.
The number of colors available on the screen at once is 4096.  Please note
that the NeXTStation Color uses dithering to give the impression of more
colors (32 bit color.)

The NeXTDimension has 32 bit color which is 8 bits red, 8 bits green,
8 bits blue and 8 bits transparency.  The color content is then 24 bits so
2^24 = 16,777,216 colors.  The number of colors on the screen is limited
to the number of pixels on the screen because there are less than 16,777,216
pixels.  How could you display more colors than pixels given a single monitor?
You can't.

Robert La Ferla
Lotus Development Corporation
Advanced Technology Group / Improv

#include <std.disclaimer>

sstreep@elvis (Sam Streeper) (04/14/91)

In article <SPINNER.91Apr12100158@wpi.WPI.EDU> spinner@wpi.WPI.EDU (Bevan R S
Wang) writes:

> 	I need to know how many colours (the colour palette) is on the
> 	NeXT ColorSystem.  I have called NeXT five times already and
> 	I get a different answer every time.... so far I NeXT says:
>
> 	(blah blah blah)...

The display hardware is 12 bits (4 each of red, green, and blue) meaning
any pixel can be any of 4096 colors.  You are actually pretty well
insulated from the hardware, though;  Using postscript, you can set
any color you desire, and things will be drawn using a dither pattern
that most closely approximates the set color.  The result is that you
"apparently" get a lot more than the actual 4096 colors, and the display
is not grossly different from a 24 bit display (where any pixel can be one
of 16 million colors)

----- Begin wayward color lookup table discussion --------------

By the way, NeXTstation hardware does NOT utilize color lookup tables.
In other words, every pixel has a specified color rather than an index
into a table that specifies the color.

If a system has 256 colors onscreen from a pallette of 4096, that means
every pixel has 8 bits specifying an index into a color table
with 256 entries, each of which is a 12 bit color specification.  Color
lookup tables have a few keen features, but they can also be a big pain
in the rear.

-sam
--
Opinions are not those of my employer.  They're not even mine.  They're
probably wrong besides.  How did they get in here, anyway?

mitroo@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Varun Mitroo) (04/14/91)

In article <495@rosie.NeXT.COM> sstreep@elvis (Sam Streeper) writes:

>By the way, NeXTstation hardware does NOT utilize color lookup tables.
>In other words, every pixel has a specified color rather than an index
>into a table that specifies the color.
>
>If a system has 256 colors onscreen from a pallette of 4096, that means
>every pixel has 8 bits specifying an index into a color table
>with 256 entries, each of which is a 12 bit color specification.  Color
>lookup tables have a few keen features, but they can also be a big pain
>in the rear.

Does this mean that the color station  is capable of only displaying 16
shades of gray?  That seems quite limiting for some uses.

--
			Varun Mitroo
			mitroo@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu

dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) (04/14/91)

In article <SPINNER.91Apr12100158@wpi.WPI.EDU> spinner@wpi.WPI.EDU (Bevan R S Wang) writes:

>	I need to know how many colours (the colour palette) is on the
>	NeXT ColorSystem.  I have called NeXT five times already and
>	I get a different answer every time.... so far I NeXT says:
>
>	It has a palette of 4096 and you can have 256 colours on the
>	screen at once.
>
>	It has a palette of 16.2 million and 256 colours at once.
>
>	It has a palette of 16.2 million with 4096 colours at once.
>

>	Now I doubt the last one, but the first sounds "dinky" and the
>	second sounds about right.
>
>	Any help will be appreciated....thanks in advance
>
>	Bevan Wang
>--

  Three Strikes! NeXTstation color is 16-bit color, with no (to my knowledge
color lookup tables), so you get 4096 colors plus transparency, and you don't
get any others. The 4096 colors are, as far as I know, hard coded/wired into
the system. You get all 4096 at once, and that's it. Now the NeXTdimension
has all those 32 bits at once (but as someone else said you can't have any
more at once than the number of pixels you got on screen!).
  With a base color system offering 4096 different on-screen colors, I'm not
gonna complain (even though I can't afford it...besides, I'd get a NeXTdim
first--save up my money. You'll want an OD of some sort for work with 32-bit
color (or even 16)).
  Happy painting!

  Nik
--
/ Nik Gervae aka dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu | "It'll be finished next week, \
| CS/Linguistics stud. & NeRD at UM (go blow) | I promise!"--me               |

edwardm@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Edward McClanahan) (04/18/91)

Sam Streeper explains:

> ----- Begin wayward color lookup table discussion --------------
>
> By the way, NeXTstation hardware does NOT utilize color lookup tables.
> In other words, every pixel has a specified color rather than an index
> into a table that specifies the color.
>
> If a system has 256 colors onscreen from a pallette of 4096, that means
> every pixel has 8 bits specifying an index into a color table
> with 256 entries, each of which is a 12 bit color specification.  Color
> lookup tables have a few keen features, but they can also be a big pain
> in the rear.

This may be misleading, however.  Just because a system can display all
4096 possible colors on the screen at the same time (from a "pallette" of
4096 colors) does not mean it LACKS a Color Lookup Table.  One justification
for a CLT pointed out several months ago that it can be used to tweak the
mapping (away from 1-to-1) to allow for deficiencies in the D->A converter
and the relative strengths of the RGB guns (as well as the surrounding
lighting).

Also, it is possible to modify entries in the CLT during the page update
cycle (i.e. as the display hardware is reading the pixel "values" from
memory, using these "values" to index into the CLT to find the Digital RGB
values to convert to Analog values to send to the RDB guns in the monitor).
Obviously, this method must be applied every screen refresh (30-?? times
per second).

So, I still have not heard a definitive statement as to the lack or
existence of a CLT on the NeXT (4-bit mono, 12-bit color, or 24-bit color).
Does anybody know for sure?

  Edward McClanahan
  Hewlett Packard Company     -or-     edwardm@cup.hp.com
  Mail Stop 42UN
  11000 Wolfe Road                     Phone: (480)447-5651
  Cupertino, CA  95014                 Fax:   (408)447-5039

tgingric@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Tyler S Gingrich) (04/20/91)

In article <32370001@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com> edwardm@hpcuhe.cup.hp.com (Edward McClanahan) writes:
>Sam Streeper explains:
>
>> ----- Begin wayward color lookup table discussion --------------
>>
>> By the way, NeXTstation hardware does NOT utilize color lookup tables.
>> In other words, every pixel has a specified color rather than an index
>> into a table that specifies the color.
>>
>> If a system has 256 colors onscreen from a pallette of 4096, that means
>> every pixel has 8 bits specifying an index into a color table
>> with 256 entries, each of which is a 12 bit color specification.  Color
>> lookup tables have a few keen features, but they can also be a big pain
>> in the rear.
>
>This may be misleading, however.  Just because a system can display all
>4096 possible colors on the screen at the same time (from a "pallette" of
>4096 colors) does not mean it LACKS a Color Lookup Table.  One justification
>for a CLT pointed out several months ago that it can be used to tweak the
>mapping (away from 1-to-1) to allow for deficiencies in the D->A converter
>and the relative strengths of the RGB guns (as well as the surrounding
>lighting).
>
>Also, it is possible to modify entries in the CLT during the page update
>cycle (i.e. as the display hardware is reading the pixel "values" from
>memory, using these "values" to index into the CLT to find the Digital RGB
>values to convert to Analog values to send to the RDB guns in the monitor).
>Obviously, this method must be applied every screen refresh (30-?? times
>per second).
>
>So, I still have not heard a definitive statement as to the lack or
>existence of a CLT on the NeXT (4-bit mono, 12-bit color, or 24-bit color).
>Does anybody know for sure?

Just to add fuel to this fire, stir the pot, and generally create havoc and
confusion throughout the civilized world........

The following is taken (without permission) from the NeXT add on pages 32/33
of volume 5 number 14 MacWEEK (4/16/91):

  "......
   If, on the other hand, you choose to go
   the NeXTstation Color route, you'll have
   the option of enhancing your presentation
   with your choice of over 4,000 colors from
   a palette of over 16 million.
   ...."

So, either the color station does some sort of 'color-lookup' or the marketing
folks at NeXT don't know their machines.  (Yes, I agree, this is VERY possible)

Tyler

PS: I've seen a demo color station.  I WISH I could afford one.  All I have
is a mere NeXTStation.....    :-)    :-)    :-)

jfreem@uncecs.edu (Joe Freeman) (04/21/91)

You always wonder, when replying to a message posted from a  competing
company, whether they have a machine or are doing corporate research.

The Color Lookup Table (CLT) question is actually a two part question.

1)  Does the NeXTStation Color use a CLT
2)  Does the user have access to it.

The NSC is a 12 bit display that can do 4096 simul. colors (4 bits rgb).
The system software has postscript interpolate for all color values
not in the base palette.  This allows smooth blending from one color in the
CLT to another.  A user just asks for a color and the system returns
closest.  The whole idea is to get nice color, avoid hardware depend.
and stop the flashing window syndrome.  You know, where you go to some
workstation, set the colors for one widnow and all the others change
colors because they lost their colors in the CLT.

The actual colors on the display are created using RAMDACs with more
than 4 bit resolution.  Extra bits are used for gamma correction,
compensation for non linearity in the displays.  The CLT is not
accessable by users or their programs.  Animation should probably
be done with compositing.

(I think the above information is correct. But, who knows.)

--
Joe Freeman	jfreem@uncecs.edu
The opinions espressed here are my own and are not shared by my employer  or