[comp.sys.next] Anyone bought 200 or 300MB SCSI for less than $2000?

davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) (04/19/91)

A local vendor wants $1900 for a 200 MB *or* 380 MB drive (with power
supply and enclosure).  The department's budget won't stretch that
far, so I was wondering if anyone had recently bought a reasonable
SCSI disk for about $1500 or so.

Thanks in advance,
dan davison
davison@uh.edu
DAVISON@UHOU
Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison@uh.edu/DAVISON@UHOU
myself.

mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) (04/20/91)

In article <1991Apr19.010531.427@menudo.uh.edu> davison@menudo.uh.edu (Dan Davison) writes:
>A local vendor wants $1900 for a 200 MB *or* 380 MB drive (with power
>supply and enclosure).  The department's budget won't stretch that
>far, so I was wondering if anyone had recently bought a reasonable
>SCSI disk for about $1500 or so.

Here is a small and (more or less) random sampling of drives
larger than 300 MB for less than $2000, taken from the ad
pages of the MacWeek issue for 4/9/91:

Wren 337MB external $1199
Frog Systems Inc. (800) 654-FROG

Fujitsu 357MB internal $1298
Fujitsu 680MB internal $1698
Mac Direct 60 E. Chestnut 145
Chicago, IL 60611 (800) 621-8461

Wren 300MB internal $1199
Wren 600MB internal $1599
Relax technology
3101 Whipple Road
Union City, CA. 94587 (415) 471-6112

Wren 337MB external $1395
Wren 613MB external $1749
Wholesale 54
520 S. 52nd St. Ste. 204
Tempe, AZ 85281 (602) 350-1191

These are all SCSI drives. I don't know for certain
that any of them will work with the NeXT, but so far,
with 5 different kinds of SCSI drives I have managed
to get all of them to work with my cube. I also
have no relationship with any of the above
companies; not even as a customer.

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (04/20/91)

In <51721@apple.Apple.COM> mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) writes:

>Here is a small and (more or less) random sampling of drives
>larger than 300 MB for less than $2000, taken from the ad
>pages of the MacWeek issue for 4/9/91:

<bunch o prices>

Forget these places!  Go FAST ACCESS!  (708-530-4206) Here's there
prices!  Note: all prices are w/o drive enclosures.  A 2drive
enclosure will run ya $263 from them.

Fuji 415MB	$1160 (compare to the 300MB's!  Wow!)
Fuji 778MB	$1398 ($238 more for 300MB more?  Can't beat that!)
Fuji 1.2GB	$2150 (the cheapest I've seen for a 1.2GB otherwise is
			$600 more)

If there is someplace that can beat these prices, I'd LOVE to know!
Personally, I'm getting the 1.2GB.  It's fast, huge, and CHEAP!

-k

davidc@contact.uucp (Ice Weasel) (04/22/91)

In article <7281@mace.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:

>Fuji 415MB	$1160 (compare to the 300MB's!  Wow!)
>Fuji 778MB	$1398 ($238 more for 300MB more?  Can't beat that!)
>Fuji 1.2GB	$2150 (the cheapest I've seen for a 1.2GB otherwise is
>			$600 more)
>
>If there is someplace that can beat these prices, I'd LOVE to know!
>Personally, I'm getting the 1.2GB.  It's fast, huge, and CHEAP!

Connor Peripherals is readying release of an entire line of SCSI products.

There will be a 500 Meg drive for around $1,100 U.S. (suggested)
and also a 200 Meg Drive for around $500 U.S. (suggested).

These drives are all 3.5" in size.

I've seen the product sheets and they compare well with any of the
others out there. I certainly like the pricing... I guess we'll see
the drive distributors hacking away at the salable price soon enough.

--
Dave Carlton (davidc@ziebmef.mef.org!white.toronto.edu)
"There's more than one way to skin a cat", Lydia thought, as she