[comp.sys.next] Twisted pair Ethernet, Mounting mounted volumes

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (04/21/91)

I want to connect a NeXT to a Mac over twisted pair Ethernet. They can
be very close physically if required. Do I absolutely need to use a
hub? If so, why?

The other question is whether or not it is possible to export a mounted
volume? That is, can you mounted( on another Mac say via Appletalk) a
NeXT HD that is mounted via Ethernet on the first Mac?

Philip McDunnough
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (04/21/91)

In article <1991Apr21.014333.12831@utstat.uucp>
philip@.utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) writes:

>I want to connect a NeXT to a Mac over twisted pair Ethernet. They can
>be very close physically if required. Do I absolutely need to use a
>hub? If so, why?

You probably have your reasons for wanting to do that, but if they
can be as close or closer than 185 meters, why not get a thin-wire
adapter for the Mac and use that.  It seems to me that would cost
a lot less than getting a transceiver for the NeXT end, if you
already have twisted pair to the Mac.

<> By necessity, by proclivity, and by delight, we all
<> quote.  In fact, it is as difficult to appropriate the
<> thoughts of others as it is to invent.
<> -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) (04/21/91)

Jess Anderson writes
> You probably have your reasons for wanting to do that, but if they
> can be as close or closer than 185 meters, why not get a thin-wire
> adapter for the Mac and use that.  It seems to me that would cost
> a lot less than getting a transceiver for the NeXT end, if you
> already have twisted pair to the Mac.

The NeXT '040 boards come with twisted pair transceivers built in.

--
 Glenn Reid				RightBrain Software
 glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us		NeXT/PostScript developers

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (04/21/91)

In article <481@heaven.woodside.ca.us>
glenn@heaven.woodside.ca.us (Glenn Reid) writes:

>Jess Anderson writes
>> You probably have your reasons for wanting to do that, but if they
>> can be as close or closer than 185 meters, why not get a thin-wire
>> adapter for the Mac and use that.  It seems to me that would cost
>> a lot less than getting a transceiver for the NeXT end, if you
>> already have twisted pair to the Mac.

>The NeXT '040 boards come with twisted pair transceivers built in.

Talk about having one's brain in standby!  My office NeXT is
plugged right into the T-10 net.  What was I thinking?  (Nothing.
apparently.)  I even wrote that guy a long letter this morning,
still blissfully unaware of being a dunce.  Shoulda had that nap
yesterday, I guess.

Btw, Glenn, I just got your book, "Thinking in PostScript."
Looks pretty good on first glance.  Bravo.  (You can't plug
it here, I suppose, but I can. :-)

<> A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science
<> into superstition, and art into pedantry.  Hence
<> University education. -- G.B. Shaw
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson
NeXTmail w/attachments: anderson@yak.macc.wisc.edu  Bitnet: anderson@wiscmacc
Room 3130 <> 1210 West Dayton Street / Madison WI 53706 <> Phone 608/262-5888

philip@utstat.uucp (Philip McDunnough) (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr21.132909.18543@macc.wisc.edu> anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) writes:

[quotes previous statement of his]

>>The NeXT '040 boards come with twisted pair transceivers built in.

>Talk about having one's brain in standby!  My office NeXT is
>plugged right into the T-10 net.  What was I thinking?  (Nothing.
>apparently.)  I even wrote that guy a long letter this morning,
>still blissfully unaware of being a dunce.  Shoulda had that nap
>yesterday, I guess.

Ok I'm the guy. Several people have responded to me. One in particular
was most helpful. However, please be patient. This is all new to me.
I would prefer to use what looks like telephone wire( this is what I
take is twisted pair wiring) to go from a MacIIci to a NeXT 040 cube.
The reasons are partially esthetic. Now I'm quite willing to get whatever
board I have to on the Mac side. There are Nubus boards that support
"thin" wiring and twisted pair. I do not care about performance( to a
point).

Assuming I get a NuBus Mac Ethernet board with a "phone jack" in it, can
I just plug the "phone wire" into the mac and into the NeXT. Software is
another issue which I'll raise at a later date.

I take it there is this issue of a transceiver, which sounds like something
to match impedance. Would this be inside the NuBus card in the Mac, or
would it look like an Appletalk connector at 5times the price? Or, would
I need a "hub" which sounds expensive.

Could someone just explain this in very simple terms please. I seem to be
getting conflicting answers( anywhere from it's impossible to use thin wire).

Philip McDunnough
philip@utstat.utoronto.ca

ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) (04/22/91)

On 21-Apr-91 in Re: Twisted pair Ethernet, ..
user Philip McDunnough@utstat writes:
>>>The NeXT '040 boards come with twisted pair transceivers built in.
>
>>Talk about having one's brain in standby!  My office NeXT is
>>plugged right into the T-10 net.  What was I thinking?  (Nothing.
>>apparently.)  I even wrote that guy a long letter this morning,
>>still blissfully unaware of being a dunce.  Shoulda had that nap
>>yesterday, I guess.

>Assuming I get a NuBus Mac Ethernet board with a "phone jack" in it, can
>I just plug the "phone wire" into the mac and into the NeXT. Software is
>another issue which I'll raise at a later date.
>
>I take it there is this issue of a transceiver, which sounds like something
>to match impedance. Would this be inside the NuBus card in the Mac, or
>would it look like an Appletalk connector at 5times the price? Or, would
>I need a "hub" which sounds expensive.
>
>Could someone just explain this in very simple terms please. I seem to be
>getting conflicting answers( anywhere from it's impossible to use thin wire).

I am trying to do a similar thing, namely connect two NeXTstations with
one phone cord.  Apparantly a hub is needed to allow a network of
computers to send and recieve on a twisted-pair wire.  From my
understanding, the reason why you cannot just connect the two machines
with a phone wire is that the hub crosses the wires in the twisted pair.
 This leads to the conclusion that you can cross the wires in a phone
cord and make a two machine 10baseT network.  I have not tried this yet.
 Does anyone know if such a scheme would work?

Len

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (04/22/91)

In article <Yc4Wm5u00WBLA2Ka98@andrew.cmu.edu> ls1i+@andrew.cmu.edu (Leonard John Schultz) writes:
   I am trying to do a similar thing, namely connect two NeXTstations with
   one phone cord.  Apparantly a hub is needed to allow a network of
   computers to send and recieve on a twisted-pair wire.

If all you want to connect is two machines, then thin-wire is the way
to go. Go get some coax, two BNC connectors and two Terminators (the
non-Arnold Schwarzenegger type). It's a much simpler proposition.
--
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
 and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

dlw@Atherton.COM (David Williams) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr21.223849.21607@utstat.uucp>, philip@utstat.uucp
(Philip McDunnough) writes:
>Ok I'm the guy. Several people have responded to me. One in particular
>was most helpful. However, please be patient. This is all new to me.
>I would prefer to use what looks like telephone wire( this is what I
>take is twisted pair wiring) to go from a MacIIci to a NeXT 040 cube.
>The reasons are partially esthetic. Now I'm quite willing to get whatever
>board I have to on the Mac side. There are Nubus boards that support
>"thin" wiring and twisted pair. I do not care about performance( to a
>point).
>Assuming I get a NuBus Mac Ethernet board with a "phone jack" in it, can
>I just plug the "phone wire" into the mac and into the NeXT. Software is
>another issue which I'll raise at a later date.
>I take it there is this issue of a transceiver, which sounds like something
>to match impedance. Would this be inside the NuBus card in the Mac, or
>would it look like an Appletalk connector at 5times the price? Or, would
>I need a "hub" which sounds expensive.
>Could someone just explain this in very simple terms please. I seem to be
>getting conflicting answers( anywhere from it's impossible to use thin wire).

I too have a similar situation...I have a Mac IIx and an 030 NeXT
cube...I'd like to eventually link them together via Ethernet. Rumor has
it that NeXT will be incorporating support for Ethertalk "Apple's
localtalk over ethernet media" in a future release of the NeXT OS.

Twisted pair sounds nice...AS long as I don't have to buy a "hub". If
twisted pair turns out to be the reasonable answer I will have even more
of an incentive to upgrade to an 040 to get it!

So networking wiring guru's whats the scoop?

David Williams
dlw@atherton.com