[net.auto] best car

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (01/25/86)

In article <773@grkermi.UUCP> markm@grkermi.UUCP (Mark S. Miller) writes:

>> The superbird didn't fare that well on the race circuit.  220 mph was great
>> on a track by itself, but the thing was pretty poor when it had to run in a
>> pack of slower cars.
>
>Now, I'm a little rusty on my Mopar lore, but as I recall the
>SuperBird/Daytona dominated for the years they ran. In fact, they did
>so well that the Reg's were changed to stop them. As I recall a
>Superbird held the record at Daytona (200 something or other mph)
>until just a couple of years ago.

Sounds like the stock car equivalent of Porsches.  Regulations change
continuously to stop Porsche domination of various race series.
Witness Can-Am (917 was too fast), IMSA (935, 962), World Endurance
Championship (917, 935, 956, 962C), and things such as the possibility
of the Porsche Indy-car way back when.  Racing executives are mostl
interested in having a wide variety of cars winning, and will change
the rules if one company really does a good job and begins dominating.
It isn't enough to have a variety of winning drivers, they have to be
in different cars as well.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watrose!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979