[comp.sys.next] MIDI

fuchs@czar.Princeton.EDU (Ira Fuchs) (11/30/90)

No hardware hacking is required. A standard midi interface connected to the
NeXT serial port does the trick.

gessel@carthage.cs.swarthmore.edu (Daniel Mark Gessel) (11/30/90)

I (and others) are interested in pluggin' the NeXT into MIDI equipment.

Mainly, how much (if any, preferably none) hardware hacking is needed?

Thanks,

Dan.

--
Daniel Mark Gessel                          Independent Software Consultant
Internet: gessel@cs.swarthmore.edu                   and Developer

velasco@magilla.ucsd.edu (Gabriel Velasco) (11/30/90)

fuchs@czar.Princeton.EDU (Ira Fuchs) writes:

>No hardware hacking is required. A standard midi interface connected to the
>NeXT serial port does the trick.

The "standard" midi interface is larger.  It is the size of the standard DIN
connector.  You have to get an adapter to change the size to mini-DIN.

 <>___,     /             /  | ... and he called out and said, "Gabriel, give |
 /___/ __  / _  __  ' _  /   | this man an understanding of the vision."      |
/\__/\(_/\/__)\/ (_/_(/_/|_  |_______________________________________Dan_8:16_|

wisdom@pico.cs.umn.edu (Scott Wisdom) (12/01/90)

>>No hardware hacking is required. A standard midi interface connected to the
>>NeXT serial port does the trick.
>
>The "standard" midi interface is larger.  It is the size of the standard DIN
>connector.  You have to get an adapter to change the size to mini-DIN.

For the 030 systems, this adapter is pretty standard - I'm currently using
a standard apple serial port<->midi interface and cable. It plugs right in
and works fine.

HOWEVER - This has all changed with the 040 systems. The apple interface
will no longer work as is. Two pins in the cable have to be tied together.
I don't remember what these are, but I'll be getting the info any day now,
so if anyone is interested, e-mail me and I'll send you the info.

Also, batteryless interfaces may have problems. STUDIO 3 will work fine, from
what I understand. The 'standard' apple interface will work with midi out, but
not midi in. In anycase, NeXT is aware of this. they will probably offer a
special cable or somesuch to take care of the problems, I would guess. In other
words, this will have no bearing on the systems ability to use midi.

-Scott Wisdom
Coda Music Software Hacker
wisdom@heckle.cs.umn.edu    <----- send e-mail here.

cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (R Eric Bennett) (12/02/90)

In article <4385@idunno.Princeton.EDU> fuchs@czar.Princeton.EDU (Ira Fuchs) writes:
>No hardware hacking is required. A standard midi interface connected to the
>NeXT serial port does the trick.

Sorry, but you need to be a little more specific just in case the original
poster doesn't know the standard interface to which you refer is a Mac MIDI
interface.  There are tons of standards depending on which platform you're
talking about, IBM, Apple, Atari...  Since NeXT doesn't have a standard MIDI
interface, it's better to qualify the standard of which you speak as a Mac
standard interface.

cerberus@caen.engin.umich.edu (unix box ) | "Put a stamp on it!"
cerberus@itl.itd.umich.edu    (NeXT cube) |           -Fab 5 Freddy
"Don't make me wait... Come in to my house."    -Queen Latifah

fuchs@idunno.Princeton.EDU (Ira Fuchs) (12/02/90)

|> Sorry, but you need to be a little more specific just in case the original
|> poster doesn't know the standard interface to which you refer is a Mac MIDI
|> interface.  There are tons of standards depending on which platform you're
|> talking about, IBM, Apple, Atari...  Since NeXT doesn't have a standard MIDI
|> interface, it's better to qualify the standard of which you speak as a Mac
|> standard interface.

I apologize for not being more specific. You are correct that I was referring
specifically to the MAC Midi interface which does work just fine. I did think, however,
that any Midi interface that had the appropriate cable to connect to the NeXT serial
port would work on the NeXT. I was not aware that there were any other differences
in the NeXT Midi Interface. I have not tested any other interfaces.

jimh@welch.jhu.edu (Jim Hoffman) (03/14/91)

Hello!

	I'm a new viewer of the this news group.  I was hoping for some
infomation about MIDI software that is avaible for the NeXT and what
configuration would I need to make use of the machine as a "Central
Contral" for a mobile studio.  What about color?  Does it enhance your
editing abilitites.  i.e.  Colorized graph of the sampled sound.

Also, does anyone know how far advance the interface to DAT is?

Thank you!!!!

Jim   jimh@welchlab.welch.jhu.edu

kls30@duts.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L Shephard) (04/16/91)

Who makes a MIDI adapter that works with an upgraded cube that does NOT
cost a fortune?  I'd like to buy one real quick.

Also has anyone else experienced Ensamble problems on a '040.  The program
acts real strange on my cube while just playing a 3 part piece.  It hangs
and the little pointer spins but nothing happens most of the time.

       Thanks, KeNT
--
/*  -The opinions expressed are my own, not my employers.    */
/*      For I can only express my own opinions.              */

In article <beKT02da06Tu01@JUTS.ccc.amdahl.com>
	kls30@DUTS.ccc.amdahl.com (Kent L. Shephard) writes:
>Also has anyone else experienced Ensamble problems on a '040.  The program
>acts real strange on my cube while just playing a 3 part piece.  It hangs
>and the little pointer spins but nothing happens most of the time.

Ensemble wants lots of real memory.  On a 16MB machine it gets
wedged pretty easily.  On a 32MB machine I haven't had any
problems... with Ensemble claiming nearly 8MB all for itself
(oink! oink!).

					-=EPS=-