[comp.sys.next] ARC and/or ZIP on NeXT

morro@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu (04/20/91)

Hi,

I have been trying to compile Howard Chu's version of Unix ARC (5.21) on
one of our NeXTs but without much success.  Things work fine until I get
to the libtws.a part (I can supply the make output if anyone's interested)
and then it bombs.  First, it complained about no table of contents, but
I fixed that with ranlib.  Then it complains about some symbol definitions,
but I am not enough of a C expert to figure this out.  Would anyone know
how to get this to work, or better yet, would anyone have a working version
of ARC (and/or ZIP) for the NeXT ?  Our machines are '030 running version
2.0 of the OS.  Thanks !

                                       - John

Internet:	duchow@ucrac1.ucr.edu
		morro@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu
		duchow@watnxt3.ucr.edu

BITNET:		duchow@UCRVMS
		morro@DRYCAS

heal@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu (Loren E. Heal) (04/20/91)

morro@drycas.club.cc.cmu.edu writes:
>but I am not enough of a C expert to figure this out.  Would anyone know
>how to get this to work, or better yet, would anyone have a working version
>of ARC (and/or ZIP) for the NeXT ?  Our machines are '030 running version

ftp to mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu, 128.174.201.12, in /unix.
--
Loren E. Heal : heal@mrcnext.cso.uiuc.edu, (UUCP)!uiucuxc!m.c.u.e!heal

madler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (04/21/91)

I have Arc 5.21c working on my NeXT.  I got it from simtel20.army.mil
in pd1:<misc.unix> as arcsrc.tar-z (which you would rename to
arcsrc.tar.Z and extract in the usual way).  Here are my notes on how
to compile it:

41. Compiled arc from arcsrc.tar.Z (simtel20).  Changed:
    a) added -Dabort=abortx to line 31 of Makefile,
    b) added -bsd to line 35 of Makefile,
    c) added -object -s to lines 54 and 57 of Makefile,
    d) deleted memset() function in arcmisc.c.
    Did a "make arc" and a "make marc" (ignore warning from make marc).
    Put arc and marc in /usr/local/bin.  Moved arc.1 to /usr/man/man1.

Enjoy.

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

Binaries and man pages for the three most popular PC-compatible
archivers--arc (and marc), zoo (and fiz), and unzip, are (and
have been for some time, although I rebuilt the tar file
recently) available for anonymous FTP from sutro.sfsu.edu
[130.212.15.230] as pub/PC-unarchivers.tar.Z

The binaries were built under 1.0, and linked with -lsys_s, so
they will run on 1.0/1.0a, 2.0, and 2.1 systems.

There are no functional changes from the publicly available
sources.

					-=EPS=-