[comp.sys.next] Q: Switching off the Display without switching off the NeXT

hwr@pilhuhn.ka.sub.org (Heiko W.Rupp) (04/22/91)

Hi,
when one has a NeXT running all day (e.g as a uucp-server) one doesen't
want the Display on all day. Dimming it prevents the burn in on the screen,
but the heating for the tube is still on and the monitor still consumes
energy.

Does someone has a solution for this e.g. with a add-on switch for the monitor
or so ? Or is there a software-solution for that ?

-Heiko

--
Heiko W.Rupp, Gerwigstr.5, D-7500 Karlsruhe 1   |   hwr@pilhuhn.ka.sub.org
Tel: +49 7021 693642  (voice only)              |   uk85@dkauni2.bitnet

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (04/22/91)

In article <1905a88d.ARN0152@pilhuhn.ka.sub.org> hwr@pilhuhn.ka.sub.org (Heiko W.Rupp) writes:
>Hi,
>when one has a NeXT running all day (e.g as a uucp-server) one doesen't
>want the Display on all day. Dimming it prevents the burn in on the screen,
>but the heating for the tube is still on and the monitor still consumes
>energy.
>
>Does someone has a solution for this e.g. with a add-on switch for the monitor
>or so ? Or is there a software-solution for that ?

I work at an Audio/Video store, and I spoke the the "Techies" there a few
months ago about this very same problem.

I was told quite simply that if I could make the screen turn black, I was
fine. Leaving the monitor powered on is no big deal if the guns aren't
on (black). This would be analagous to leaving an audio amplifier or
preamplifier on 24hours per day, even when not listening. This is a
practice followed by most "audiophiles." Also, power drain is minimal,
so I was told not worry about it. If you are worried about, you are
probably better off powering off your machine.

--
MikeC
Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland

hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu (Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy)) (04/23/91)

After using the NeXTStation Monochrome 400 for the first full month
and receiving my electric power bill I can make the following
non-authoritative statement about power consumption:
I had the station on practically the whole month (it was off perhaps
fro about 20 hours total).  My Power bill has gone up by about $ 7 for
the month (i.e., 52 kWh). This averages to a consumption of about 72 W
which seems somewhat low. Given the fluctuation in consumtion by other
appliances, one might assume that 100--150 W is a correct ballpark figure.
It would still be nice if one could switch the monitor off, though,
when away from the machine for more than, say, 4 hours.

Greetings,
Hardy
			  -------****-------
Meinhard E. Mayer (Hardy);  Department of Physics, University of California
Irvine CA 92717; (714) 856 5543; hardy@golem.ps.uci.edu or MMAYER@UCI.BITNET

trevor@telesoft.com (Trevor Bourget @lone) (04/23/91)

In <1905a88d.ARN0152@pilhuhn.ka.sub.org> hwr@pilhuhn.ka.sub.org (Heiko W.Rupp) writes:

>Hi,
>when one has a NeXT running all day (e.g as a uucp-server) one doesen't
>want the Display on all day. Dimming it prevents the burn in on the screen,
>but the heating for the tube is still on and the monitor still consumes
>energy.

>Does someone has a solution for this e.g. with a add-on switch for the monitor
>or so ? Or is there a software-solution for that ?

This may not sound like an ideal solution, but I haven't seen any
original suggestions for this problem in a while, so I'll bite.
According to the documentation (Network and System Administration
Manual), if the monitor (and therefore the keyboard) is not plugged in
at boot time, the system will alternatively go to serial port 'A' to
use it as a console.  So presumably you could connect up an old
terminal to the serial port and boot your machine after unplugging the
monitor.  I haven't actually tried this, so don't sue me if it doesn't
work.

-- Trevor Bourget (trevor@telesoft.com or uunet!ucsd.edu!telesoft!trevor)

p.s. Come to think of it, this might be a way for those NeXTstation
color wannabees to buy their slab and sort of use it for a while until
they can get the cash to get a color monitor (no, Virginia, you can't
use the monochrome monitor; it's not the same cable).  It's not
NeXTStep, but at least it's UNIX.

jchin@wimsey.bc.ca (Joseph Chin) (04/23/91)

NOTE: On older cubes (probably around the first four thousand), the power
supply will not operate if the monitor is not plugged in. The older power
supply requires a minimum amount of operating load to be present.

:-) Joe
jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca

 * "Kill the body and the head will die" (Hunter S. Thompson) *
 *    NeXT --> The ultimate electronic publishing platform!   *
 ********** Joseph Chin --> jchin@van-bc.wimsey.bc.ca *********