[comp.sys.next] Aging MegaPixel

victor@tesla.math.yale.edu (Mladen Victor Wickerhauser) (04/14/91)

Well, we received 4 of Norm's BusinessLand demo cubes in the past 10 days,
just about 30 days after they were ordered.  My office was filled with NeXTs
for a while, and I started to notice that my own MegaPixel (bought 12/89) is
going out of focus!  Also, the new machines have a bluish tint, while mine is
a definite neutral gray.

Now, I leave my machine on all the time, with Gerrit's LockScreen application
blanking the screen, so the monitor stays warm but there are no burned out
areas.  This computer has been moved almost 1000 miles by car, too.  There
are, in other words, plenty of reasonable explanations for the los of focus,
but I never noticed any dramatic changes in the screen focus.  It took direct
comparison with new machines to bring it out.

Have any of you other old-timers noticed your cubes getting fuzzy?  Have you
tried to do anything, like having a CRT repairman adjust the screen?  Has any
linear EE type with an out-of-warranty MegaPixel (like mine) opened it up and
performed amateur surgery?  Did the patient recover?

Cheers,
Victor
--
------
Mladen Victor Wickerhauser, victor@math.yale.edu, (203)498-1011

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (04/14/91)

In article <30043@cs.yale.edu> victor@tesla.math.yale.edu (Mladen Victor Wickerhauser) writes:

>Have any of you other old-timers noticed your cubes getting fuzzy?

Yes.

>linear EE type with an out-of-warranty MegaPixel (like mine) opened it up and
>performed amateur surgery?

Yes.

>Did the patient recover?

Yes, fully. I highly recommend it, about once every 6 months.

All you need to do is:

(with you computer on, since you need to see how the screen is doing)

(0) You need a special tool---a TV repairman's adjustment tool, or
some good approximation. Supposedly you can such a tool for
a couple bucks at Radio Shack. But I fashioded my own; what you need is
essentially a long, thin, _non-conducting_ screwdriver (not Phillips).
I took the dowel from a VCR cleaner swab and carved the end into a wedge shape.
What ever you do, be sure you are protected from the high voltages
inside the monitor---so don't use a conducting object!

(1) Remove the plastic cover from the back of the MegaPixel display;
it is held on by 4 Hex bolts. Use your  NeXT HeX ToOL to unscrew these.

(2) on the back you will see holes in the perforated shielding; looking through
these, you will see holes labeled
``focus'' etc. (At least I think they were labelled...). Using
the special tool, insert it into the hole until you get to the
adjustment screw, and turn it to make the adjustment. It helps
to have two people, one to work the screw, on to watch the
screen. The best thing to watch on the screen is the trademark
"R" on the Websters Icon---you can get it to look clearly like an
"R" in a circle at optimal focus.

(3) Reassemble.

Note: I take no responsibility if you kill yourself trying this;
it worked for me, but I may be a lot smarter (or luckier) than you.

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) (04/15/91)

In article <30043@cs.yale.edu> victor@tesla.math.yale.edu (Mladen Victor Wickerhauser) writes:
>Have any of you other old-timers noticed your cubes getting fuzzy?  Have you
>tried to do anything, like having a CRT repairman adjust the screen?  Has any
>linear EE type with an out-of-warranty MegaPixel (like mine) opened it up and
>performed amateur surgery?  Did the patient recover?
>
>Cheers,
>Victor

Mine is fuzzy in its lower left corner, and the six at school are all a bit
on the blurry side -- some much worse than others.

I'd like to hear results, too.

--
MikeC
Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland

smb@data.com (Steven M. Boker) (04/15/91)

In article <30043@cs.yale.edu> victor@tesla.math.yale.edu (Mladen Victor Wickerhauser) writes:

>Have any of you other old-timers noticed your cubes getting fuzzy?  Have you
>tried to do anything, like having a CRT repairman adjust the screen?  Has any
>linear EE type with an out-of-warranty MegaPixel (like mine) opened it up and
>performed amateur surgery?  Did the patient recover?

Yes, focus is easy and the results are gratifying.  I'd recommend a tune
up every 6-8 months.  Get a nonconducting monitor adjustment screwdriver.
Power the cube down and take the back panel off the monitor.  Reconnect
the monitor and power the cube back up.  You will see a variety of adjustment
holes clearly marked.  Focus is the one that works for me.  Its a snap.
Just don't ground yourself to the high voltage generated by the monitor
as premature aging can be observed as a result.

Steve

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
 #  Steve Boker           #             "Two's bifurcation                  #

madler@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Mark Adler) (04/15/91)

>> a couple bucks at Radio Shack. But I fashioded my own; what you need is
>> essentially a long, thin, _non-conducting_ screwdriver (not Phillips).

More importantly than conducting, it must be non-ferrous--insulating the
end of a steel screwdriver won't do.  Barry's wooden screwdriver works,
as does the plastic jobbies you can get at Radio Shack.  The point is that
you're adjusting iron-core inductors, so more iron hopelessly confuses the
adjustment.

I found that the single "focus" adjustment wasn't good enough for my
old MegaPixel, since I could not focus all the corners of the screen at
the same time.  Eventually the thing started dimming and NeXT replaced
it for free, even though it was out of warranty.  (I was impressed.)

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

shanega@athena.mit.edu (Shane G. Artis) (04/15/91)

In article <1991Apr14.221901.7133@wam.umd.edu> mikec@wam.umd.edu (Michael D. Callaghan) writes:
>In article <30043@cs.yale.edu> victor@tesla.math.yale.edu (Mladen Victor Wickerhauser) writes:
>>Have any of you other old-timers noticed your cubes getting fuzzy?  Have you
>>tried to do anything, like having a CRT repairman adjust the screen?  Has any
>>linear EE type with an out-of-warranty MegaPixel (like mine) opened it up and
>>performed amateur surgery?  Did the patient recover?
>>
>>Cheers,
>>Victor
>
>Mine is fuzzy in its lower left corner, and the six at school are all a bit
>on the blurry side -- some much worse than others.
>
>I'd like to hear results, too.
>

>--
>MikeC
>Michael D. Callaghan, MDC Designs, University of Maryland
>mikec@wam.umd.edu

My MP display is about 2 years old and still is as sharp as the new
NeXTstation at the MIT microcomputer center.  I have very slight
burn-in of the dock icons which I just began to notice, so now I slide
the dock off the bottom.  I used to leave my cube on all the time with
brightness down, but I turn it off at night now.  I have no bad pixels
and no blurry areas.  I also do not have any skewing of horizontal or
vertical lines.  In summary - it's just fine!

victor@tesla.math.yale.edu (Mladen Victor Wickerhauser) (04/23/91)

Hello,
I received several different answers to my question of how to focus a fuzzy
MegaPixel, ranging from "nothing can really be done" to "a trivial
operation." So I went to Radio Shack and bought a TV alignment tool (=plastic
screwdriver, $0.99) and took off the back.  There are 7 holes in a metal
shield, and two of them are labelled "Focus" and "CYK Focus".  The "CYK Focus
hole exposes a metal screw that is very hard to turn and seems to have no
effect, but the "Focus" hole exposes a hex-screw that the alignment tool just
fits, and it refocussed the screen just fine.  The best procedure I found is
to put a large Edit window on the screen, full of text, and try to get the
best compromise between the edges and the center.  Also, wisdom dictates
leaving the back off until you have used the screen for a while.

Below are the replies I received via e-mail:
Regards,
Victor
------

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 91 13:20:00 PDT
From: grd@ccrma.stanford.edu
To: victor@lom1.math.yale.edu
Subject: out-of-focus screen

Take the back off your display.  There is a special tool

(not special to NeXT: any TV repair supplier will have them)
used for adjusting the focusing pots you'll find there.
A trivial operation. At our lab, we focus the screens regularly.

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 91 21:30:06 PDT
From: madler@cobalt.cco.caltech.edu (Mark Adler)
To: victor@tesla.math.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Aging MegaPixel
Newsgroups: comp.sys.next

I received my NeXT around August 1989, and around December 1990, the
MegaPixel display started to lose it.  It would go out of focus and
also get intermittently dimmer.  Someone on the net suggested I call
NeXT, even though my warranty had run out.  I did, and NeXT replaced
the monitor, gratis!  I was impressed.  My usage was to leave it on
all the time, but most of the time the monitor was blanked using
Bryce Jasmer's LockScreen 2.1.

I tried making some adjustments myself, and I could improve the focus
over some parts of the screen, but could not focus the entire screen
at once.

I now turn my NeXT off when I'm not using it, hoping that this may
increase the lifetime of my relatively new monitor.  It helps that
my machine boots a lot faster now with 2.0 and a 68040.

Mark Adler
madler@pooh.caltech.edu

Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 17:07:17 -0500
From: songer@ecn.purdue.edu (Christopher M Songer)
To: victor@tesla.math.yale.edu
Newsgroups: comp.sys.next

I've got one. It has not yet showed signs of aging, but it will. I cannot be
completely fixed. You can tweak some adjustments in the back to help it, but
NeXT had production problems in their early models.

Here at Purdue there is a lab of NeXTs, and the early ones are going. Every
so often they adjust them, but there is nothing that can really be done. I'm
planning on buying a new one when it gets too bad.  -Chris

Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 12:39:51 MDT
From: jpm@spectrum.lanl.gov (Pat McGee)
To: victor@tesla.math.yale.edu
Cc: jpm@spectrum.lanl.gov

Victor,
   I was told last week by one of our service-persons that the cause
to the tube going out of focus, and also loosing brightness, was that
there was a very slow air leak into the CRT.  Apparently there was
a bad batch of tubes from the supplier (Sony?).

   I was also told that the supplier is warrantying then to NeXT, and
that NeXT was warrantying them to their customers, regardless of
length of time you've had them.

   We've reportedly had 5-6 of ours go bad (out of ~40).

   I have no personal knowledge of any of this; I'm just passing
on what I was told.

Pat McGee, jpm@lanl.gov

--
------