[comp.sys.next] Bad Blocks on Optical

athame@athena.mit.edu (Dirk Karis) (04/17/91)

My optical drive (from the businessland firesale) succumbed to the spinup/
spindown syndrome due to dust yesterday.  A quick cleaning solved the
hardware problem, but the disk that was in the the drive got munged.
Running fsck as root cleaned up all of those except for about ten
unreadable blocks, which show up every time I repeat the fsck -- it is
apparently not remapping them.  Short of reinitalizing t(I don't have
a backup of this disk; it's where I keep all the stuff i download from
various archive sites, so it could be recreated but its nearly 200 megs), I
can't find any way to remap the bad sectors. The closest I can come is
the 'bad' command to 'disk' which allows you to view and edit the bad
block table but there's no documentation on what all the numbers in it
mean that I can find. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dirk Karis
athame@athena.mit.edu

mheubi@.itr.uu.ch (Heubi Matthias) (04/23/91)

athame@athena.mit.edu (Dirk Karis) writes:

>My optical drive (from the businessland firesale) succumbed to the spinup/
>spindown syndrome due to dust yesterday.  A quick cleaning solved the

>Dirk Karis
>athame@athena.mit.edu

SPINUP/SPINDOW PROBLEM ? What is this exactly?
I had a problem with my drive, refusing to spin up and even to boot
the OS from OD. A few days later, the problem disappeared.
Is this due to dust pollution?
Matthias Heubi      / NeXT / Atari ST / HP-48SX /    mheubi@itrpe.uu.ch
Matthias Heubi      / NeXT / Atari ST / HP-48SX /    mheubi@itrpe.uu.ch