[comp.sys.next] StandAlone Network

songer@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu (Christopher M Songer) (04/22/91)

Hi,

     I received alot of requests for this so here goes, be aware that
while I have not tried it (Radio Shack doesn't have all the parts), I
know someone who has:

     If you want to turn your standalone NeXT into a standalone on a
network of one machine, here's what you do: First you need to terminate
the network properly. I'm not sure how to do this with twisted pair, but
for the coax connection, get a splitter and two fifty ohm terminators.
(for the make your own crowd, one 25 ohm terminator and no splitter will
obviously do the trick, but it will probably have to be a custom job, I think
50 ohm is the kind you are going to find in the store.) Hook it up to the back
of your computer. This will make the hardware happy and if you watch your
machine boot, it should not longer say there is no network.

     The final thing is to make sure that netinfo and /etc/hosts have
the same data for your machine name and address. Some non-next programs
pull the address from /etc/hosts and if there is a descrepancy, it will
hose the program up. I'm not exactly sure how to do this last part, but
I can't imagine it is very hard.

-Chris
songer@ecn.purdue.edu

DWN2@psuvm.psu.edu (04/22/91)

In article <1991Apr22.144630.1102@noose.ecn.purdue.edu>,
songer@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu (Christopher M Songer) says:

>Hi,

>     I received alot of requests for this so here goes, be aware that
>while I have not tried it (Radio Shack doesn't have all the parts), I
>know someone who has:

>     If you want to turn your standalone NeXT into a standalone on a
>network of one machine, here's what you do: First you need to terminate
>the network properly. I'm not sure how to do this with twisted pair, but
>for the coax connection, get a splitter and two fifty ohm terminators.

The more common way to set this up is to connect a BNC Tee to the thin ethernet
jack.  To the Tee, attach a cable of ethernet type wire (coax) so that the wire
simply forms a short loop. The wire, of course, has BNC connectors on the ends.
The reason that I suggest this approach is that the other day I was in Radio
Shack looking for the BNC Tee, the BNC ended cable, and the above mentioned
terminators.  Radio Shack had the Tee, the wire, but no terminators.  A check
of the catalogue by the sales person concluded that Radio Shack doesn't carry
any BNC terminators (hard to beleive).  Anyway, this loop is pretty standard
fare for checking out the net setup on a single machine.

>-Chris

>songer@ecn.purdue.edu

Dave

jmynatt@ragnarok (Jim Mynatt) (04/24/91)

In article <91112.113412DWN2@psuvm.psu.edu> DWN2@psuvm.psu.edu writes:
> The more common way to set this up is to connect a BNC Tee to the thin
ethernet
> jack.  To the Tee, attach a cable of ethernet type wire (coax) so that the
wire
> simply forms a short loop. The wire, of course, has BNC connectors on the
ends.
> Anyway, this loop is pretty standard
> fare for checking out the net setup on a single machine.

NO NO NO...  Ethernet is not, never has been, and never will be a ring (loop).
IEE 802.3 "A physical layer standard specifying a LAN with the CSMA/CD access
method on a BUS topology.  Ethernet LANs follow the 802.3 standard"

BUS topology is not a ring.  It is a two wire (single wire with shield)
configuration terminated at each end with 50ohm resistors.  The minimum network
is simply a tee with two terminators.  Of course all of the above refers to
thin net not 10BASE-T (twisted-pair) in which the NeXT is connected to a
twisted-pair hub such as Cabletron's 10Base-T TPMIM-T Module using 4 wires (one
pair twisted together for transmitting and one pair twisted together for
receiving).

jim
standard disclaimer on my opinions.