[net.auto] Diesel-powered Cars - My dollars worth

balfanz@ihlpg.UUCP (Balfanz) (01/13/86)

I've heard a lot of discussion and complaints about diesel-powered
cars, well, here's my dollars worth:

We own a 1981 Oldsmobile 98 diesel-powered car.  My husband and I
have both been brought up around diesel-powered construction and farm
equipment, but this is our first diesel car.  Below is some history
of the car:

   - We are the second owners (it was previous ownered by a salesman
     friend of ours)

   - The car now has about 125,000 miles on it

   - The car got a new transmission at about 75,000 miles (the
     original transmission was the same as my brother-in-law had in
     his Pontiac Astre; why they stuck it in a full-sized car behind a
     diesel, I'll never understand; maybe they thought the engine
     wouldn't last longer than the transmission)

   - At 100,000 miles, it was given a valve job (which it did need and
     really wasn't that unusual)

   - The car has one new injection pump, one new set of injectors and
     three new glow plugs

We haven't had any serious problems like I've heard from other
Oldsmobile or Cadillac diesel owners!

Some of the people I've talked with don't realized that diesel-powered
engines are different from gasoline-powered engines.  And I don't mean
their operation, but their maintenance and the level of "abuse" they
take.

   - Our Owner's Manual recommends that the oil be changed every
     7,000 miles (by the way it says the same if the engine is
     gasoline), but a diesel engine gets dirtier internally and should
     be changed more often than a gasoline engine!

   - You have to be fussier about fuel!  If you get water in your fuel
     or if you don't get a good winter-blended fuel, you're going to
     have problems!  Diesel engines can't handle "junky" fuel like a
     gasoline engine.

     Also, I'd like to add that diesel fuel is an oil.  Don't try to
     thin your diesel fuel with gasoline in the winter!  The first
     choice should be No. 1 diesel fuel.  If that isn't available, there
     are some good anti-gel agents on the market that can be added to
     your tank.  And, as a last resort you could use a little kerosene.
     But, don't use gasoline unless it's a very, very last resort, and
     even then, be careful to not use too much!

   - A diesel engine doesn't handle the "abuse" of short-trip driving as
     well as gasoline engine does.  A diesel engine needs long trips
     that heat up the engine and burn out impurities more than gasoline
     engines do.

   - Because of how a diesel engine operates, it gets "hot spots".  So,
     if the engine has been working hard (e.g., you've been doing 55 MPH
     down the highway for the past hour), then you should let the engine
     idle for a few minutes when you stop (before you turn it off) to
     let the engine temperature even out.

rjb@akgua.UUCP (rjb) (01/15/86)

Why buy a Diesel at all ??

Pro:

1) Good Gas Mileage
2) You get to eat at Truck Stops (?)

Con:

1) You pay a premium to get the D (is this still true ?)
2) Savings at the pump are almost zero on a per gallon basis
3) Terrible Acceleration
4) Excessive Engine Noise (admittedly subjective)
5) Below average resale
6) Design problems caused by bastardization of gas/diesel engines

Conclusion:

You are left with the gas mileage savings to amortize the premium
over the car life while you pray the sucker holds together.

Unless you are an over the road sales person who really racks up
the miles, why buy one ??

Bob Brown {...ihnp4!akgua!rjb}

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (01/16/86)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh

> Why buy a Diesel at all ??
> Pro:
> 1) Good Gas Mileage
> Con:
> 1) You pay a premium to get the D (is this still true ?)
> 2) Savings at the pump are almost zero on a per gallon basis
>
> You are left with the gas mileage savings to amortize the premium
> over the car life while you pray the sucker holds together.

I considered paying a $2000 premium to get a Volvo diesel.  Considering
I drive a car 120,000 miles and would get 25 mpg of gas versus 40 mpg of
diesel, a diesel would save me 1,800 gallons or about $1,800.  Thus a net
loss of $200.  Needless to say I didn't go the diesel route.

wcs@ho95e.UUCP (#Bill.Stewart.2G202.x0705) (01/16/86)

In article <2052@akgua.UUCP> rjb@akgua.UUCP (rjb) writes:
>Why buy a Diesel at all ??
I was talking with the airport-limo driver on my last trip; his company
drives big station wagons equipped with Buick small-truck diesel engines.
>Pro:
>1) Good Gas Mileage
He said they get about 35-40 mpg, instead of the 8 mpg such things
usually get.  That's about 700 miles / tank of fuel.
>Con:
>3) Terrible Acceleration
Wasn't too bad, and it did OK on the Jersey Turnpike.
>4) Excessive Engine Noise (admittedly subjective)
Well, a bit.
>5) Below average resale
But the suckers often last 300K miles, though they're driven in a much
different environment than I normally encounter.
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 2G-202, Holmdel NJ 1-201-949-0705 ihnp4!ho95c!wcs

cuda@ihuxf.UUCP (Mike Nelson) (01/16/86)

I think that all diesels should be required by law to have exhaust stacks
at least 6 feet above the roof of the vehicle or say a minimum of 10 or
12 feet in the air.  Most semis already do this.  The problem with
diesel cars are not in the car but in having to sit behind one at a stop
light.  They step on the accelerator and you can't see or breath for
the next block or two.  In a car at least you can roll up the windows
but motorcycles put you right where the action is.  If the exhaust exited
up high it would at least have time to diffuse a little before being
inhaled.

					Mike Nelson
					ihuxf!cuda

tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor J. Smedley) (01/16/86)

>From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh
>
>[...]
>
>I considered paying a $2000 premium to get a Volvo diesel.  Considering
>I drive a car 120,000 miles and would get 25 mpg of gas versus 40 mpg of
>diesel, a diesel would save me 1,800 gallons or about $1,800.  Thus a net
>loss of $200.  Needless to say I didn't go the diesel route.

Do you really think that gas will cost $1.00 a gallon for the entire
120,000 miles? I'd guess at an average price of $2-$4 or even more for
that period of time. Gas already costs at least $2/gal in most of the
world. And *very* much more in some places.

Trevor J. Smedley                    University of Waterloo

{decvax,allegra,ihnp4,clyde,utzoo}!watmum!tjsmedley

warren@ihwpt.UUCP (warren montgomery) (01/17/86)

> I think that all diesels should be required by law to have exhaust stacks
> at least 6 feet above the roof of the vehicle or say a minimum of 10 or
> 12 feet in the air.  Most semis already do this.  The problem with
> diesel cars are not in the car but in having to sit behind one at a stop
> light.  They step on the accelerator and you can't see or breath for
> the next block or two.

Diesel fumes smell like roses compared to the toxic waste that I
have inhaled from large new looking cars on very cold days.  I don't
know whether it's poor design, poor maintenance, or poor gas, but
something makes these things emit fumes that smell like something
that died a week ago, burn your eyes, and send you into a coughing
fit.  Maybe the exhaust should exit in front of the car -:) .  That
way the owners would either maintain them better or get something
less offensive!

--

Warren Montgomery,  ihesa!warren

dbrichards@watnot.UUCP (the vegit man) (01/19/86)

>I think that all diesels should be required by law to have exhaust stacks
>at least 6 feet above the roof of the vehicle or say a minimum of 10 or
>12 feet in the air.  Most semis already do this.  The problem with
>diesel cars are not in the car but in having to sit behind one at a stop
>light.  They step on the accelerator and you can't see or breath for
>the next block or two...
>					Mike Nelson

Gosh, Mike, I think you MUST be talking about those American diesels:-). My
dad's 300D puffs smoke only when you REALLY step on it (usu. highway passing),
and even then, the volume of the smoke is small (a cloud about the size of ...
a portable 12" [30cm] TV set).  Smell? Well, it DOES smell (doesn't everything?)
but it smells a LOT nicer than the exhaust from our 81-model European (non-
Diesel) sedan, whose emission-controlled exhaust consistently makes me gag.

 - Dennis

 Dennis Richards                R:"Batman, there's a Polaris-type missile headed
 Faculty of Mathematics            straight at us!"
 University of Waterloo         B:"Hang on, Robin, this might be tricky."

    UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,decvax,utzoo,clyde}!watmath!watnot!dbrichards
    CSNET: dbrichards%watnot@waterloo.CSNET
    ARPA:  dbrichards%watnot%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.ARPA

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (01/20/86)

In article <11398@watnot.UUCP> dbrichards@watnot.UUCP (the vegit man) writes:

>Gosh, Mike, I think you MUST be talking about those American diesels:-). My
>dad's 300D puffs smoke only when you REALLY step on it (usu. highway passing),
>and even then, the volume of the smoke is small (a cloud about the size of ...
>a portable 12" [30cm] TV set).  Smell? Well, it DOES smell (doesn't everything?)
>but it smells a LOT nicer than the exhaust from our 81-model European (non-
>Diesel) sedan, whose emission-controlled exhaust consistently makes me gag.
>
> - Dennis

Gee, Dennis, who at home gets to wash the circular scum marks off the
left-rear of the Benz?  :-)

Batman: "Robin, I think it's because our hearts are pure..."

-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

dbrichards@watnot.UUCP (the vegit man) (01/24/86)

In article <494@eneevax.UUCP> hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) writes:
>In article <11398@watnot.UUCP> dbrichards@watnot.UUCP (the vegit man) writes:
>>
>>Gosh, Mike, I think you MUST be talking about those American diesels:-). My
>>dad's 300D puffs smoke only when you REALLY step on it (usu. highway passing),
>>and even then, the volume of the smoke is small (a cloud about the size of ...
>>a portable 12" [30cm] TV set).  Smell? Well, it DOES smell (doesn't everything?)
>>but it smells a LOT nicer than the exhaust from our 81-model European (non-
>>Diesel) sedan, whose emission-controlled exhaust consistently makes me gag.
>>
>> - Dennis
>
>Gee, Dennis, who at home gets to wash the circular scum marks off the
>left-rear of the Benz?  :-)
>
>Batman: "Robin, I think it's because our hearts are pure..."
>
>-dave

Well, Dave, it's like this:
	1) The fuel port is on the RIGHT rear of the car. :-)
	2) One DOESN'T spill Diesel on a Benz. Period.
	3) When the unthinkable DOES happen, one wipes it off. Promptly.
I can't remember there ever being any serious (or more than minor) problems
with regard to fuel spillage.

goudreau@dg_rtp.UUCP (01/28/86)

In article <11407@watnot.UUCP> dbrichards@watnot.UUCP (the vegit man) writes:
>In article <494@eneevax.UUCP> hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) writes:
>>In article <11398@watnot.UUCP> dbrichards@watnot.UUCP (the vegit man) writes:
>>>
>>>Gosh, Mike, I think you MUST be talking about those American diesels:-). My
>>>dad's 300D puffs smoke only when you REALLY step on it (usu. highway passing),
>>>and even then, the volume of the smoke is small (a cloud about the size of ...
>>>a portable 12" [30cm] TV set).  Smell? Well, it DOES smell (doesn't everything?)
>>>but it smells a LOT nicer than the exhaust from our 81-model European (non-
>>>Diesel) sedan, whose emission-controlled exhaust consistently makes me gag.
>>>
>>> - Dennis
>>
>>Gee, Dennis, who at home gets to wash the circular scum marks off the
>>left-rear of the Benz?  :-)
>>
>>-dave
>
>Well, Dave, it's like this:
>	1) The fuel port is on the RIGHT rear of the car. :-)
>	2) One DOESN'T spill Diesel on a Benz. Period.
>	3) When the unthinkable DOES happen, one wipes it off. Promptly.
>I can't remember there ever being any serious (or more than minor) problems
>with regard to fuel spillage.
>
> - Dennis

Sorry Dennis, but I don't think Dave was talking about fuel spillage;
he probably meant exhaust residue.  My family had one of the infamous
GM late-70s diesels, and the crap that build up below and behind the
exhaust pipe was tremendous.  It doesn't wash off that easily either.

Bob Goudreau