[comp.sys.next] Floppy Drives for Cube

kehoe@fortuity.sf.ca.us (Daniel Miles Kehoe) (04/24/91)

Newsgroups: comp.sys.next

In comp.sys.next article
<1991Apr22.165919.20049@bellcore.bellcore.com>
kph@blackhole.bae.bellcore.com (Keith P. Hawkins) wrote:
> I'm trying to choose between DIT's Cube Floppy 2.9

> and PLI's SuperFloppy 2.8

> I read the article in the March/April edition of NextWorld which

> seems to indicate that they both feature very similar capabilities.

Apologies if the article didn't make the choice clear (Seth Ross and
I wrote that one). DIT buys the drives from PLI; the hardware is
identical except for the case. DIT bundles the FloppyWorks software
as added value, for an added cost.

Buy the PLI drive, if it's cheaper, unless:
You work with 1.4MB Mac disks a lot and want the convenience of the
DIT FloppyWorks s/w (even so, Dayna's DOSMounter for the Mac offers
cheaper convenience).

I say don't buy any drive if you know someone with a floppy drive
who'll let you transfer software to optical disk (if you have an OD,
that is). But that's a personal attitude.

If you want a drive for regular "sneakernet" (transferring files
between PC or Mac and NeXT), look at Ethernet-based transfer options
instead (they're faster). We haven't done the article about that yet.

Hope this helps. Incidentally, the tables that accompanied the
NeXTWorld article were garbled by production gremlins, so don't be
surprised if you can't figure them out (I sure can't).

Regards,
Daniel Miles Kehoe

kehoe@fortuity.sf.ca.us