[comp.sys.next] Icon problems

dejnsen@engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.163521.9274@umiami.ir.miami.edu> therbert@umiami.ir.miami.edu writes:
>I am a new Color NeXTstation user who is also trying to post
>to NEWS for the first time.
>
>After solving problems with Kermit (I'm not on Ethernet yet),
>I am having a lot of trouble with ICON 2.0 - Black background
>which I cannot reset, quits spontaneously (or so it seems),
>can't set defaults at less than 32 bit, and prints only a
>small spot of garbage.  Am I doing anything right here?

  Icon, as far as I can tell, only prints lassoed selections. To print
a whole document, select it all (command-a I think). I don't know what
exactly you mean by "background" in Icon--the default "ink" it uses *is*
transparent, and shows up as black on screen in a document (this is very
useful in making the neat Workspace icons that you can see stuff through;
in fact, Icon was created specifically for making Workspace icons--hence the
name ;-). You may be able to dump opaque paint into the document with the
funnel (paintcan?). And as for Icon quitting spontaneously--yes it does,
it's a demo, unstable and undocumented, so get used to it. Keith Ohlfs
said as much in one or another help panel right in the application. You
get what you pay for I guess.  ;-)

>After Kermit, compliling c programs, using Tek, printing Mac
>files, and getting Robots, I thought my first week was great! -
>Then I was brought to my knees by ICON!

  As who hasn't been?