[comp.sys.next] 2.1 Update: Archive site?

asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) (04/24/91)

I've no idea who posted it, but I remember some time back, that
someone said he and a group of folks pitched in to buy the 2.1
upgrade.  He said that he was going to put it on a anon ftp site so
that all us folks not wishing to fork over $50 for it, and yet were on
internet could get it.  Well, where is the site, and what has
happened?  Is it there yet or not?

-k

zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) (04/24/91)

In article <7313@mace.cc.purdue.edu> asd@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Kareth) writes:

>I've no idea who posted it, but I remember some time back, that
>someone said he and a group of folks pitched in to buy the 2.1
>upgrade.  He said that he was going to put it on a anon ftp site so
>that all us folks not wishing to fork over $50 for it, and yet were on
>internet could get it.  Well, where is the site, and what has
>happened?  Is it there yet or not?
>
>-k

I did post something along those lines a couple of weeks ago.  Unfortunately,
that is probably not going to happen.  A person from NeXT sent me email
about what I wanted to do.  The person from NeXT was very nice about the
whole thing, and while I can still share it with a few people, he/she did
not want me to make it available via anon ftp.  He/she gave me permission
to post the email he/she sent me.  If enough people would be interested,
I could post this email to this group.

BTW, I ordered the upgrade at least one-two weeks ago, but haven't gotten it
yet.

(I'm getting on a soapbox here...)
I tend to order my NeXT products through my old school, rather then from my
current school.  The people at my old school bend over backwards to serve
the customer.  When I ordered my 105 NeXT, I only had to put down a $250
deposit rather then the full amount.  A week later when I decided I should
have bought a 200Mb Slab, the person at my old school changed my order without
any fuss.  When I just ordered the Tech Doc, he said that I could pay for
it when it came in.  It is this type of service that makes a customer loyal
to a particular store.

Andrew
zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

louie@sayshell.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr24.080917.28349@neon.Stanford.EDU> zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:

>The person from NeXT was very nice about the
>whole thing, and while I can still share it with a few people, he/she did
>not want me to make it available via anon ftp.

Legally, what's the difference between two or three close friends and
a few hundred not quite as close friends?

It seems to me that it is in everyones best interest to get this
software (which fixed bugs folks are complaining about) into the hands
of as many people as possible.

Those of us who are paranoid about such things will wait until we get
our "official" copy from the vendor, while other will use what's
available.  And of course, NeXT should be well within their rights to
tell you to jump in a lake if you should happen to have problems
installing "unofficial" updates.

louie