[comp.sys.next] slip or ppp?

dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) (04/23/91)

 Has anyone heard any news about slip or ppp being avaiable for the NeXT?

--
/ Nik Gervae aka dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu | "It'll be finished next week, \
| CS/Linguistics stud. & NeRD at UM (go blow) | I promise!"--me               |

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (04/23/91)

In article <1991Apr23.030748.7894@engin.umich.edu> dejnsen@caen.engin.umich.edu (Nik Anthony Gervae) writes:

> Has anyone heard any news about slip or ppp being avaiable for the NeXT?

Yes. The Spring 1991 Sofware and Peripherals guide just came out
(get one from your local next rep.)

There, under Connectivity and Communications, we see two offerings:

"Morning Star Point to Point Protocols (PPP)
A functional replacement for SLIP that allows computers to
route TC/IP over the serial line. $500. Avail. 2nd quarter 1991.
Morning Star Technologies, Inc
1-800-558-7827
614-451-1883"

and:

"SLiP-IN
A commercial grade implementation of SLIP to support
dialup, leased, and hardwired interconnections among NeXT computers, and from
NeXT computers to SLIP servers. $295. Avail April 1991.
Marble Associates,
617-891-5555"

So, it looks like the promised land is here.

PS: Get your Spring Software guide---lots of new goodies on the way.
We've even got our own COBOL compiler now!

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

bennett@mp.cs.niu.edu (Scott Bennett) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.054224.22092@math.ucla.edu> barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
>  [text deleted  --SJB]
>>

>So, it looks like the promised land is here.
>
>PS: Get your Spring Software guide---lots of new goodies on the way.
>We've even got our own COBOL compiler now!

     GASP!!!  Tell me it's not true!!  All those poor, helpless NeXTs...
Can you imagine how twisted the dear things will become?

>--
>Barry Merriman
>UCLA Dept. of Math
>UCLA Inst. for Fusion and Plasma Research
>barry@math.ucla.edu (Internet)

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG
                                  Systems Programming
                                  Northern Illinois University
                                  DeKalb, Illinois 60115
* Internet:       bennett@cs.niu.edu                                 *
* BITNET:         A01SJB1@NIU                                        *
*  "Spent a little time on the mountain, Spent a little time on the  *
*   Hill, The things that went down you don't understand, But I      *
*   think in time you will."  Oakland, 19 Feb. 1991, first time      *
*  since 25 Sept. 1970!!!  Yippee!!!!  Wondering what's NeXT... :-)  *

ddj@zardoz.club.cc.cmu.edu (Doug DeJulio) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.054224.22092@math.ucla.edu> barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:
>"Morning Star Point to Point Protocols (PPP)
>route TC/IP over the serial line. $500. Avail. 2nd quarter 1991.
                                   ^^^^

>"SLiP-IN
>NeXT computers to SLIP servers. $295. Avail April 1991.
                                 ^^^^

What the hell?  It's *FREE* for the Sun, and it's *FREE* for PC
compatibles.  I can't afford $300 for most software.

Maybe a free version of PPP and/or SLIP would make a reasonable summer
project.

Maybe I'll get SoftPC and run PPP on *it*.
--
DdJ