[comp.sys.next] Improv Problem!

h5346866@rick.cs.ubc.ca (bradley don head) (04/17/91)

Help! Workspace won't recognize *.wks and *.imp anymore!
When I first installed Improv, everything was fine. Now
when I try to launch the file as an Improv file, the
workspace fires up Edit. In the Tools Inspector, Edit is
the only available application to launch. Here's the
strange part - if I "un-dock" Lotus Improv from my dock
and re-dock it, then the workspace suddenly recognizes
the Lotus file name extensions!

So how do I get it to recognize them all the time?

A few points about my setup:
I have Lotus.app installed in /LocalApps which is a link
to /MyExternalDisk/LocalApps

Thanks
--
   /__   /    /  ___/                       Brad Head  <h5346866@rick.cs.ubc.ca>
     /  /____/  /__                               University of British Columbia

In article <1991Apr16.195343.29691@rick.cs.ubc.ca>
	h5346866@rick.cs.ubc.ca (bradley don head) writes:
>                                          Here's the
>strange part - if I "un-dock" Lotus Improv from my dock
>and re-dock it, then the workspace suddenly recognizes
>the Lotus file name extensions!

This is *documented* in the WriteNow file on Improv Disk 1.

					-=EPS=-
--
The .rtfd extension means "Read This Document!"

francisr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Rob Francis) (04/24/91)

In article <1493@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
>In article <1991Apr16.195343.29691@rick.cs.ubc.ca>
>	h5346866@rick.cs.ubc.ca (bradley don head) writes:
>>                                          Here's the
>>strange part - if I "un-dock" Lotus Improv from my dock
>>and re-dock it, then the workspace suddenly recognizes
>>the Lotus file name extensions!
>
>This is *documented* in the WriteNow file on Improv Disk 1.
>
>					-=EPS=-
>--
>The .rtfd extension means "Read This Document!"
      ^^^^
Are you paraphrasing here?

Anyway, another way to get around this is to add where Improv lives on
your system to the Workspace Appplication Path.  You can do this with
a 'dwrite command'.  The only trick is not leaving out what is already
there.  a command like
dwrite Workspace ApplicationPath /NextApps:/NextDeveloper:/Users/user/Apps:\
/And/so/on/and/so/forth
will write all the proper places to look for an application to start
up an *.extention

Whatever you dwrite WILL write over what is already there, so don't
forget anything.  I messed up the first time, and had to go around
finding all of the places I missed.  Unfortunately, a 'dread -l'
doesn't show what is already there.  Hope this helps.

Rob

scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.181401.13855@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> francisr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Rob Francis) writes:
   Anyway, another way to get around this is to add where Improv lives on
   your system to the Workspace Appplication Path.  You can do this with
   a 'dwrite command'.  The only trick is not leaving out what is already
   there.  a command like
   dwrite Workspace ApplicationPath /NextApps:/NextDeveloper:/Users/user/Apps:\
   /And/so/on/and/so/forth
   will write all the proper places to look for an application to start
   up an *.extention

   Whatever you dwrite WILL write over what is already there, so don't
   forget anything.  I messed up the first time, and had to go around
   finding all of the places I missed.  Unfortunately, a 'dread -l'
   doesn't show what is already there.  Hope this helps.

To reset the behaviour, do 'dread Workspace ApplicationPaths | dremove'.
Thus removing the stuff from the database, and reinvoking the defaults.

The ones that belong in there are:

~/Apps:/LocalApps:/NextApps:/NextDeveloper/Apps:/NextAdmin:/NextDeveloper/Demos

(This is from a 2.1 system, which fixed the /LocalApps omission, I
believe).  How does one find that out?  What I did was do
'strings /usr/lib/NextStep/Workspace.app/Workspace' to get a list
of the probable strings in the executable, and then searched for
ApplicationPaths.  Luckly enough, there was the default for it right
above.  Sometimes one isn't that lucky, but this will work on lots
of executables, if you need to find out about that type of thing . . .

PS:  What I wouldn't do for real docs on this system . . . it looks
like there are a lot of neato magic hidden defaults there in Workspace,
but who'd ever know?

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad

jmynatt@ragnarok (Jim Mynatt) (04/24/91)

In article <1991Apr23.181401.13855@bronze.ucs.indiana.edu>
francisr@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Rob Francis) writes:
> In article <1493@toaster.SFSU.EDU> eps@cs.SFSU.EDU (Eric P. Scott) writes:
> >In article <1991Apr16.195343.29691@rick.cs.ubc.ca>
> >	h5346866@rick.cs.ubc.ca (bradley don head) writes:
> >>                                          Here's the
> >>strange part - if I "un-dock" Lotus Improv from my dock
> >>and re-dock it, then the workspace suddenly recognizes
> >>the Lotus file name extensions!

<cruft deleted>

> Anyway, another way to get around this is to add where Improv lives on
> your system to the Workspace Appplication Path.  You can do this with
> a 'dwrite command'.  The only trick is not leaving out what is already
> there.  a command like
> dwrite Workspace ApplicationPath /NextApps:/NextDeveloper:/Users/user/Apps:\
> /And/so/on/and/so/forth
> will write all the proper places to look for an application to start
> up an *.extention

<more cruft>

in NextAnswers workspace.658:
Q:  What are the default search paths for the Workspace Manager and how can I
modify the default?

Q:  How can I change the application that starts up when I double-click a
particular file type?

A: When determining to what application a file belongs, the Workspace Manager
searches in the following places in the order given:

	~/Apps:/LocalApps:/NextApps:/NextDeveloper/Apps:/NextAdmin:\
	/NextDeveloper/Demos

To modify the default search path, you can use the dwrite command in a shell to
add to the defaults database:

	localhost> dwrite Workspace ApplicationPaths\
		~/Apps:/LocalApps:/NextApps:/NextDeveloper/Apps:\
		/NextAdmin:/NextDeveloper/Demos:~/MyApps

Note that each path should be separated by a colon.  Remember to include the
default paths when adding new paths (if you still want to include them).

When you double-click a file and the application that starts up is not the
application you intended to use to open that file, you can change the default
application with the Inspector in the Workspace Manager.  Select a document of
the type for which you want to change its default application (e.g.,
"myFile.eps").  Choose Inspector from the Workspace Manager's Tools menu.  From
the pop-up menu at the top of the Inspector panel, choose Tools.  The panel
that is displayed shows all applications capable of opening that file.  Select
the application you want to use to open the file and click the OK button.  Now,
when you double-click a file of that type, it will start up that application.
Of course, if you want to use another application to open that file, you can
still first start up that application and open the file by choosing Open from
its File menu (or equivalent).

See also QA97, QA309, QA480.