[net.auto] Diesel-powered Cars - a questio

mcmullen@convexs.UUCP (01/29/86)

/* Written 11:18 am  Jan 24, 1986 by pwb@fritz.UUCP in convexs:net.auto */
/* ---------- "Re: Diesel-powered Cars - a questio" ---------- */
In article <1611@hound.UUCP> rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) writes:
>[]
>>...are the european diesels better?
>
>You bet they are.
>In addition to mileage delivered, you can expect extended engine
>life. The thing is, you can't just throw any old design together
>and expect more than a GM disaster.  Spend many years at it and
>you, too, can design a VW diesel.
>
>--
>
>"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

The VW diesel engine was not designed  as a  `real' diesel,  but is a
conversion of the gasoline engine introduced  with the  Rabbit in the
mid 70's (just as the early GM auto  diesels were  conversions).  The
European auto manufacturers that utilize diesel engines designed from
the  ground  up as  diesels (and  distribute them  in the  U.S.)  are
Mecedes  Benz,  Peugot,  and Volvo  (I'm not  sure about  the new BMW
diesel).  These `real' diesel can deliver extremely  long engine life
provided they are cared for properly, though parts and  labor tend to
be VERY expensive.

I owned a `78 diesel Rabbit for eight years  and 150,000  miles.  The
rings  started  to  allow  substantial  compression  blowby at 80,000
miles.  At 100,000 miles one cylinder lost  its rings  entirely.  The
engine was diligently maintained and cared for (I  grew up  on a farm
...  I know how to care/maintain/rebuild  diesel engines).   When the
earlier  VW  diesels  developed substantial  compression blowby, they
tended to pick up oil from the overhead cam and blow it  into the air
intake (via the crankcase ventilation), causing  a `runaway' (diesels
can run on motor oil, imagine doing  65mph and  accelerating down the
freeway with your foot OFF the  accelerator, at  the head  of a black
cloud).    This was  enough of  a problem  that VW  ordered a factory
recall that  inserted a  baffle in  the crankcase  ventilator hose to
slow down the air velocity (thus reducing the amount of oil picked up
off the cam).  Of course this didn't solve the real  problem, it just
caused  the  compression  blowby  to  find  an  alternate route, like
blowing  the  oil stick  out.   But it  at least  solved VW's lawsuit
problem with VW diesel owners.

If I ever get another diesel, it will be a `75 Mecedes Benz 240D.

			Phil Bonesteele
			FileNet Corp.
			Costa Mesa, CA
			{ucbvax,decvax,hplabs}!trwrb!felix!pwb
/* End of text from convexs:net.auto */

mcmullen@convexs.UUCP (01/29/86)

/* Written  3:18 pm  Jan 28, 1986 by mcmullen@convexs.UUCP in convexs:net.auto */
/* Written 11:18 am  Jan 24, 1986 by pwb@fritz.UUCP in convexs:net.auto */
/* ---------- "Re: Diesel-powered Cars - a questio" ---------- */
I would like to add my zwei pfennig to this discussion:

>The VW diesel engine was not designed  as a  `real' diesel,  but is a
>conversion of the gasoline engine introduced  with the  Rabbit in the

I have heard from VW service people, that the orginal Wabbit L4 was
designed to be used as either a diesel or gasser.  The diesel is
still the original 1600 cc (1597 actually) whereas the gasser
has been increased to 1800.  BTW there is a European 16 valve version
that is currently being sold as  the GTX Scirocco (sp?).

Volvo diesels are actually 6 cylinder versions of the VW unit according
to C&D.  I have not seen this fact in any other publication, but
find it interesting considering the reputation of Volvo-Penta diesels.
                        Jim Mc Mullen
                        Convex Computer
                        Richardson, TX
                        UUCP: allegra@convex