[comp.sys.next] Workspace dock

severyn@athena.ecs.csus.edu (Niles Severyn) (04/25/91)

Here's one to try. Run a program on your dock, then quit, and then try to
remove it (or even move it).

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.204336.3351@csusac.csus.edu> severyn@athena.ecs.csus.edu (Niles Severyn) writes:

>Here's one to try. Run a program on your dock, then quit, and then try to
>remove it (or even move it).

Let's see, that seems to work.  I can move any icon from the dock
(I didn't remove any, though, just kept dragging and dragged 'em
back), whether running or not running.  I can quit a running one
and it will still drag off the dock.  I can drag the whole dock
downwards by dragging on the NeXT icon.  What's the problem?
(I'm using 040/2.0).

<> Missionaries: Making the world safe for hypocrisy.
<> -- Thomas Wolfe
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (Mike Matthews) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.204336.3351@csusac.csus.edu> severyn@athena.ecs.csus.edu (Niles Severyn) writes:

>Here's one to try. Run a program on your dock, then quit, and then try to
>remove it (or even move it).

I do that frequently.  So what's your point?

Are you sure the app is *really* quitting?
------
Mike Matthews, matthews@lewhoosh.umd.edu (NeXT)/matthews@umdd (bitnet)
------
Die?  I should say not, dear fellow.  No Barrymore would allow such a
conventional thing to happen to him.
		-- John Barrymore's dying words

declan@remus.rutgers.edu (Declan McCullagh/LZ) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.204336.3351@csusac.csus.edu>, severyn@athena.ecs.csus.edu (Niles Severyn) writes:

> Here's one to try. Run a program on your dock, then quit, and then try to
> remove it (or even move it).

Interesting...  When I tried that, nothing out of the ordinary
happened.  What happens on your machine, and what version of NeXTstep
are you using?

If anyone wants to freak someone out by _REMOVING_ a copy of a running
application from the icon dock, here's how to do it (I submitted this
to NeXT, and they didn't think it was fixed in 2.1).

Launch two applications on the dock (the top two don't count).
Position your pointer so the top pixel of the pointer is above the
white border of the lower docked icon and intruding one pixel into the icon
above it.

Quickly drag the icon away from the dock.  Presto!  You won't see a
white ghost image as you normally would.  If you drop the icon without
the white ghost image, it'll disappear from the dock, and some
applications (including the one you just sent into the void) will be
understandably confused.  $-)  More often than not, you'll see a
Workspace Error and you'll have to log out.

You can also temporarily get rid of that pesky Recycler that way...

-Declan