[net.followup] Thank you Bruce Springsteen

krahl@druky.UUCP (R.H. Krahl) (10/10/85)

btl@mtunf.UUCP (Bernie Lee) in net.general article 460 writes:

>I just don't see why everyone is making such a big
>deal about Springsteen's last concert.
>I (personally) think that his music has gone down hill
>compare to his older albums (ex:Greetings from Asbury Park).

Well Bernie...maybe you're getting old and senile?  There was nothing to hold
my mother back from going to both of Springsteen's Born in the USA road tours
that came to Denver.  I was fortunate enough to make this last one.  Bruce not
only draws the young crowd, but also the older.

The reason maybe you don't see why everyone is making such a big deal is you
probably haven't been to one of his explosive performances LIVE !  But even if
you have, your thinking that he has gone downhill is *your* opinion and you do
have a right to your opinion -- even if it isn't a very popular one.

--
  Rich Krahl @ AT&T -- The Right Choice.   UUCP: ..!ihnp4!druky!krahl
"You can't get what you want..'til you know what you want" -Joe Jackson

DISCLAIMER:  Opinions or statements expressed above do not necessarily
             reflect the views of my most humble employer.

hestenes@sdcsla.UUCP (Eric Hestenes) (10/11/85)

> I just don't see why everyone is making such a big
> deal about Springsteen's last concert.

ditto.

so many boneheads like the servant
( boss of the fans, servant of the media )
that net.bruce, net.boss and net.farm-aid are
only seconds away.

personally, i'm waiting for net.airheads,
a place i'll feel comfortable.

flames to: /dev/null

barb@pyuxa.UUCP (B E Nemeth) (10/11/85)

Oh, Pooh, Pooh to you Bernie Lee.
Fortunately your opinion is in the minority.

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (10/14/85)

THIS DISCUSSION DOES NOT BELONG IN NET.GENERAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
--
Suzanne Barnett-Scott

uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze
phone:	 (602) 998-4800
us mail: CalComp/Sanders Display Products Division
	 (Formerly Terak Corporation)
	 14151 N 76th street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260

galenr@iddic.UUCP (Galen Redfield) (10/14/85)

In article <1323@pyuxa.UUCP> barb@pyuxa.UUCP (B E Nemeth) writes:

>Oh, Pooh, Pooh to you Bernie Lee.
>Fortunately your opinion is in the minority.

(This refers to an earlier posting in which Bernie Lee  expresses
bewilderment that so many of Bruce Springsteen's fans think he is
the absolute ultimate, or something.)

Now I'm really confused.  Are you saying that his opinion is held
by  less  than  half of:  the readers on the net?  concert-goers?
adults?  all U.S. citizens?  creatures  of  the  universe?   Just
what  set  is  he  in  the  minority  of??   I  believe he is not
necessarily in a minority.

I think I understand what he is saying, though, but like  someone
once said, "There's no accounting for taste."  This is especially
true with music, or almost any art form, particularly the popular
contemporary  versions.  I saw Bruce perform in 1975, when he was
not very famous nationally.  I thought it was  one  of  the  best
live  performances  I had ever seen (great sound, tight band, all
that good stuff).  I haven't seen him recently, mostly due  to  a
change in lifestyle (got put food on the table, now), but I can't
believe that he has degraded at all; I might not identify as much
with  his  music now, but that doesn't mean that his music is any
less appealling than ten  years  ago,  just  because  it  doesn't
appeal  to  me.   He's more likely to be better than he was; he's
had more writing and performing experience, plus now  he  doesn't
have to *try* to sell anything.

Really, is it that hard to think beyond yourselves, people?

Can we not be a little more tolerant, even  congenial,  regarding
our differences in taste, ability, etc. etc. etc.????

I just hates to see bickerin', when they ain't no need fer it!!

Next  time  someone  says they don't like your favorite star, why
not  try  and  see  if  you  can  at   least   understand   their
bewilderment?  I'd bet it won't be that difficult.  The same goes
for the reverse situation; try to understand what the appeal  is,
even if it doesn't appeal to you.

Just a thought (or two).....

Warm regards,
Galen.

jeffw@tekecs.UUCP (Jeff Winslow) (10/15/85)

> Oh, Pooh, Pooh to you Bernie Lee.
> Fortunately your opinion is in the minority.

Oh, really? Have you asked everyone? And what would be so fortunate about it
even if it were true?

Personally, I've been trying to put together a convincing argument to show that
Springsteen is state-sponsored terrorism against my ears. But no luck so far.
Maybe I should look in the UN*X documentation?

						>w,
					    Jeff Winslow

(Oh, yeah, that's a thumbed nose.)

mer@prism.UUCP (10/15/85)

I have been going to see Bruce since 1977 or so, and have seen him 21
times at last count.  Every show was tremendous, and I saw him two or
three nights in a row several times.  I have never met *anyone* who has
seen him and not been overwhelmed by his show, including a couple of
people who didn't even like him much (I bought tickets for both of them,
since they wouldn't pay for tickets themselves).

I do, however, find the overwhelming media barrage ridiculous.  But Bruce
hasn't been courting this press coverage, and it is unfair to hold it
against him.  Yes, he is a hero to many people, but not because Newsweek
put him on the cover again, but because of who he is and what his music
means to us.  The coverage is a fad, just like the adolation of Michael
Jackson, but when it blows over (about now, since he's off tour), he will
still have the same millions of fans he had before.  After all, the ten
nights at Meadowlands were well before the media barrage, and the 200,000
tickets sold out in *one day*.

Bruce has been around for well over 10 (15?) years, and hasn't exactly
been a cult figure for most of it.  In fact, I consider myself a
relatively new fan, as I didn't see him at the famous Bottom Line concerts
or in any hall under several 1000 people (except for once when he sat in
with Beaver Brown for a couple of numbers).
Meredith Lesly {mit-eddie, ihnp4!inmet, wjh12, cca, datacube} !mirror!mer