[comp.sys.next] Lisp upgrade

STENGEL@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Robert F. Stengel) (04/24/91)

Although the Version 2.0-compatible ACL is now available from Franz, NeXT has y
et to ship this version to Cube owners who wish to upgrade from the 030 to the
040.  Although we bought the 040 upgrade several months ago, we have not instal
led it because one user MUST have ACL.  What's holding the distribution up?  I
understand that NeXT wanted to bundle the ACL upgrade with one or two other upg
rades that are not ready yet.  Trouble is, we don't need those other upgrades a
nd we DO need the ACL upgrade NOW.  Calls to NeXT tell us it is coming "real so
on now."  Calls to our local sales rep (Forrestal Village, Princeton, NJ) are n
ot returned.  Just who is minding the store?

cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu (04/24/91)

In article <12691@pucc.Princeton.EDU> STENGEL@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Robert F. Stengel) writes:
   Although the Version 2.0-compatible ACL is now available from
   Franz, NeXT has yet to ship this version to Cube owners who wish to
   upgrade from the 030 to the 040.
   [... stuff deleted ...] Just who is minding the store?

Perhaps NeXT intends to ship the app on the new 2.88MB floppies and is
having trouble with their suppliers for this part? NeXT has taken the
rap for late-shipping a lot lately when actually, some of their
suppliers have not been able to keep pace with NeXT's demand.

This sounds like a "good news, bad news" situation to me. It's good
news that lots of folks want NeXTs and bad news that the suppliers
can't keep pace with the demand.
--
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster,
 and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

agm@cs.brown.edu (Axel Merk) (04/24/91)

In article <12691@pucc.Princeton.EDU> STENGEL@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
|Although the Version 2.0-compatible ACL is now available from Franz, NeXT has y
|et to ship this version to Cube owners who wish to upgrade from the 030 to the
|040.  Although we bought the 040 upgrade several months ago, we have not instal
|led it because one user MUST have ACL.  What's holding the distribution up?  I
|understand that NeXT wanted to bundle the ACL upgrade with one or two other upg
|rades that are not ready yet.  Trouble is, we don't need those other upgrades a
|nd we DO need the ACL upgrade NOW.  Calls to NeXT tell us it is coming "real so
|on now."  Calls to our local sales rep (Forrestal Village, Princeton, NJ) are n
|ot returned.  Just who is minding the store?

I second all of the above.

Axel

anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) (04/24/91)

I received the ACL upgrade to 3.1.20 (the '040, OS2 compatible version
with no visible enhancements beyond 3.1) from Franz (not NeXT) last
week. This also contains Franz's modified version of NeXT's modified
version of the emacs-18.55 sources.

The situation is somewhat confused by the fact that I have actually
paid Franz for a year's maintenance - I was paying them for ACL for my
Suns, and I included the NeXT maintenance on the same PO. And nothing
on the paperwork that came with the upgrade allows me to determine
whether I got this as a result of the postcard I sent to NeXT when I
upgraded my cube, or as a result of my maintenance agreement with
Franz.

Oh - it came on (8) 1.44 Mbyte floppies, so there's no issue of
availability of the media.

--Steve Anderson

mikel@Apple.COM (Mikel Evins) (04/25/91)

In article <ANDERSON.91Apr24075737@sapir.cog.jhu.edu> anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu (Stephen R. Anderson) writes:
>The situation is somewhat confused by the fact that I have actually
>paid Franz for a year's maintenance - I was paying them for ACL for my
>Suns, and I included the NeXT maintenance on the same PO. And nothing
>on the paperwork that came with the upgrade allows me to determine
>whether I got this as a result of the postcard I sent to NeXT when I
>upgraded my cube, or as a result of my maintenance agreement with
>Franz.

Apparently, you got it because of your maintenance
agreement. The folks at 800-848-NeXT say that they haven't
started shipping yet, so presumably yours came from
Franz. They say they hope to start shipping upgrades
in a week or so ("by the end of the month").

>Oh - it came on (8) 1.44 Mbyte floppies, so there's no issue of
>availability of the media.

When I mentioned this, the NeXT phone-person
said, "Oh, then it didn't come from us." I assume
this means they'll be shipping it on 2.88MB
floppies.

scott@mcs-server.gac.edu (Scott Hess) (04/25/91)

Just to get in a wee bit of public whining (well, not much):

In article <CNH5730.91Apr23205539@maraba.tamu.edu> cnh5730@maraba.tamu.edu writes:
   In article <12691@pucc.Princeton.EDU> STENGEL@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Robert F. Stengel) writes:
      Although the Version 2.0-compatible ACL is now available from
      Franz, NeXT has yet to ship this version to Cube owners who wish to
      upgrade from the 030 to the 040.
      [... stuff deleted ...] Just who is minding the store?

   Perhaps NeXT intends to ship the app on the new 2.88MB floppies and is
   having trouble with their suppliers for this part? NeXT has taken the
   rap for late-shipping a lot lately when actually, some of their
   suppliers have not been able to keep pace with NeXT's demand.

Well, on the one hand, this is true.  But, on the other hand, it is
an _excuse_ - NeXT is responsible to 'we the people who ordered NeXTs'
to have enough of what they need to deliver.  It's not so much that
the suppliers can't keep pace with an increased demand - I don't
even think we are out of the backlog announced last Sept. at the
"Big Bash", so they should have been prepared.  I do think that
NeXT was just in an unlucky position - the stuff just wasn't
feasable in the timeframe proposed.  But some of the ridiculous
time spans I've heard make me wonder . . .

[Now, with a completely different set of hands -scott]

On the one hand, this is the price we pay for running too close
to the leading edge.  On the other hand, the business market is
not going to care too much for NeXT if this becomes a habit.
Hopefully they learn from "this" - "this" being the lack of
CPU, the lack of 400M hard disks, the lack of floppy media,
the lack of optical media, the lack of JPEG, etc, etc.  If
NeXT ever plans to be selling >50,000 machines/year, all of
the elements will have to be there _before_ the machine is
promised.  Maybe this is why Apple has more boring machines
(side note - Apple also makes more money :-).

Please don't take this as anything but constructive criticism.
I never really complained (well, not publicly) about my machine,
or anything.  And I really could care less when LISP ships, or
whether I can get ODs or 2.88M floppies.  Except to the extent
other people do - especially those people out there who just
happen to have more money than I do, and thus have more machine-
purchase ability than I do.  I've got my machine, and I love it,
and I hate it when I have to use the old, decrepit machines
in the lab here, with their measly 8M/40M/68030 . . . :-> [ <--
Yes, that is an evil grin :-) ]

Later,
--
scott hess                      scott@gac.edu
Independent NeXT Developer	GAC Undergrad