[comp.sys.next] Pissed at NeXT, Inc.

tyc@cbnewse.att.com (felix.a.lugo) (04/25/91)

	Do people at NeXT, Inc. actually care about NeXT's future?  If so,
	why do they show such lack of interest towards their customers?

	On January 10th I ordered the 2.0 Tech Docs directly from NeXT, Inc.
	(where else, huh?)  Yesterday, April 23, I came across an article by
	Jess Anderson where he stated that he had received the 2.0 docs which
	he ordered on January 18.  I called NeXT, Inc. and spoke to a woman
	in order management about my order.  She informed me that I would
	receive my order on the first week of June from my position on the
	delivery list.  I then told her about Jess Anderson (actually I didn't
	give out his name.)  She went on to tell me that maybe he had been on
	the list before the 18th (that everyone that purchased the 1.0 docs
	were put on the list automatically).  Yeah, right!!  Does this mean
	that everyone who ordered 1.0 will get 2.0 for FREE???!!!!!  What a
	bunch of bull!  This was the third time I'd called querying about the
	status of my order.  The first time they told me I would receive the
	docs the last week of May; the second time it was "some time in
	April". Now, "the first week of June" (I wonder if she referred to
	1991 or 1992?)  Why don't they make up their minds?  I want the docs
	I ordered and paid for!!!!!!!!!

	There's more ...

	On March 14 I sent in a Registered Developer application using
	certified USMail.  I received the RR post-marked March 18.  I thought
	GREAT, I should be registered in no time (I had heard that the turn-
	around time was one week).  Friday I called Susan Peterson (from the
	Developer Marketing group) and she had no record of my registration
	form.  SHIT!  I hung-up and then thought that I could get an electronic
	copy of the form that I could fill and send through e-mail.  I
	immediately called her up again but she wasn't there so I left a
	message.  She never returned the call.  I tried several times on
	Monday (I left five messages).  Still no answer!  I suppose NeXT, Inc.
	didn't want my company to become involved with theirs?  Their loss,
	I thought; I'll take my business somewhere else!

	Sorry for the bandwidth, but I had to say something!  I believe that
	the NeXT has a lot of potential, but if NeXT, Inc. keeps up this
	"please wait" attitude, they're not going to get very far.  I hope
	I'm wrong!  I love my NeXT and want to see it grow old!!!!!!!

			       Felix A. Lugo
		       T.Y.C. Computer, Inc., Lisle, IL

		         E-MAIL: (NeXT-Mail preffered)
			     Felix_A_Lugo@ATT.COM
			     coco@ihcoco.att.com
			     coco@ihtyc.att.com

anderson@dogie.macc.wisc.edu (Jess Anderson) (04/25/91)

In article <1991Apr24.225451.12660@cbnewse.att.com> tyc@cbnewse.att.com (felix.a.lugo) writes:

I think he has a pretty legitimate complaint, or rather a
couple of them.  NeXT, are you listening?

>Do people at NeXT, Inc. actually care about NeXT's future?  If so,
>why do they show such lack of interest towards their customers?

>On January 10th I ordered the 2.0 Tech Docs directly from NeXT, Inc.
>(where else, huh?)  Yesterday, April 23, I came across an article by
>Jess Anderson where he stated that he had received the 2.0 docs which
>he ordered on January 18.  I called NeXT, Inc. and spoke to a woman
>in order management about my order.  She informed me that I would
>receive my order on the first week of June from my position on the
>delivery list.  I then told her about Jess Anderson (actually I didn't
>give out his name.)  She went on to tell me that maybe he had been on
>the list before the 18th (that everyone that purchased the 1.0 docs
>were put on the list automatically).  Yeah, right!!  Does this mean
>that everyone who ordered 1.0 will get 2.0 for FREE???!!!!!  What a
>bunch of bull!  This was the third time I'd called querying about the
>status of my order.  The first time they told me I would receive the
>docs the last week of May; the second time it was "some time in
>April". Now, "the first week of June" (I wonder if she referred to
>1991 or 1992?)  Why don't they make up their minds?  I want the docs
>I ordered and paid for!!!!!!!!!

Here's the facts.  I did not have 1.0 docs (I bought my cube from
the BLand fire sale).  The date on my requisition workup sheet
was 1/18/91, but it had to be processed by the business office
in my department, then it went to our in-house computer dealer,
who customarily batch their orders.  Thus I do not know when my
order for tech docs actually reached NeXT, but it must have been
well into February.  However that was, they were most definitely
*not* free!

Against that, I expect not all customers are equal, and since
we are resellers, maybe we get a little more attention than
an individual person.  One might not approve of that, but it is
a common enough business practice that one ought not to be
surprised.

From my previous experiences, I still think NeXT is probably
trying, but clearly they have quite massively screwed up in
your case, especially about the Registered Developer stuff.
Not returning calls just does *not* make it in a well-run
business.

<> Never cut what you can untie. -- Joseph Joubert
--
Jess Anderson <> Madison Academic Computing Center <> University of Wisconsin
Internet: anderson@macc.wisc.edu <-best, UUCP:{}!uwvax!macc.wisc.edu!anderson

DWN2@psuvm.psu.edu (04/25/91)

I ordered my docs before Christmas.  There is still no word on them.

Dave

lmann@vineland.pubs.stratus.com (Laurie Mann) (04/25/91)

(felix.a.lugo) writes:
> 	Do people at NeXT, Inc. actually care about NeXT's future?  If so,
> 	why do they show such lack of interest towards their customers?

Well, maybe NeXT is tryint to outSun Sun.  They keep comparing
NeXTs to Suns, and most of us have heard the horror stories about
Sun "service."

I haven't had too many dealings with NeXT as I'm just an end user.
I've spoken to NeXT folks at Seybold, and even visited the NeXT office
when I was in Pittsburgh in late '89.  They seem very much on top of
things, at least their sales people seem to be.

I like my NeXT VERY much, and look forward to the day when NeXTs
are affordable for the home market.  Until then...

<>[The principle of] legal subordination of one sex to the
<>other--is wrong in itself...it ought to be replaced by a
<>principle of perfect equality, admitting no power or
<>privilege on the one side, nor disability on the other.
<>The Subjection of Women (1869), John Stuart Mill

    [Yep, I love Quotations, too!!!  Is it possible to
      add in other quotations you've picked up along the way?]

***     NeXT mail:  lmann@vineland.pubs.stratus.com     ***
* Laurie_Mann@vos.stratus.com * lmann%jjmhome@m2c.m2c.org *