[net.auto] best car, worst car

rm@faust.UUCP (01/02/86)

**  rebate kiss line with your passage **

This seat belt thing is getting boring.  I remember with some fondness the
discussion of best raods and worst roads in net.wheelhead a short time
ago.  How about a discussion on car love (or lust), like ferinstance:

    If you could have your choice of any car that ever existed, what would
    you choose?  Assume money is no object.

    And (for added spice) if hell was a place where one was destined to
    drive around for all eternity, which car would be the most fitting
    vehicle for the task?

My vote for the most desirable car would be a 1960 Corvette, all white with
red interior.  Fuel injected of course.  I've never driven one of the first
generation 'vettes but I've heard that they're nothing to write home about
in the handling dept.  I'm sure that they, like all Corvettes, are noisy,
uncomfortable, and leak badly in the rain.  Still, nothing else quite comes
close to my ideal of automotive beauty as this car does.

As for my idea of hell on wheels, boring cars really, well, bore me.
There are a lot of boredom mobiles around, but if I had to the most boring
it would be the AMC Concord.  What can I say? It's just two tons of rolling
yawns to this boy.  Flame on, AMC lovers.

R.M. Mottola
Intermetrics Inc.
Cambridge, MA.

Disclaimer: "It's only me, and if there are any real ideas in this note
they probably got in there by mistake."

PS If anyone wants to give me the vette as a late Christmas gift, please
throw in a lot of extra fuel injection parts.

fritz@phri.UUCP (Dave Fritzinger) (01/03/86)

> This seat belt thing is getting boring.  I remember with some fondness the
> discussion of best raods and worst roads in net.wheelhead a short time
> ago.  How about a discussion on car love (or lust), like ferinstance:
>
>     If you could have your choice of any car that ever existed, what would
>     you choose?  Assume money is no object.
>
>     And (for added spice) if hell was a place where one was destined to
>     drive around for all eternity, which car would be the most fitting
>     vehicle for the task?

A GREAT IDEA, and I agree that the seat belt discussion is getting a bit
old.  Now, as to my choices.

First, let me say that I find it a bit difficult to choose a single best
and worst car, because there are so many good and (unfortunately) bad cars
out there.  So, let me list what I consider a couple of the best (though I
have no driving experience on any of the cars I will mention).

Best Sports/GT: Ferrari Daytona, Testarossa, or GTO (new), with several
	Porsches as greatfully accepted second choices.

Best Sedan: Merc 560SEL(C) is probably the best sedan in the World.

As an aside, let me add that the VW GTI (both old and new models) are
wonderful cars if you *are* on a budget.

Worst Sports/GT: Is there a worst sports/GT? :-)

Worst Sedan: Probably a Skoda, any Skoda, though I can think of many
	cars that deserve dishonable mention.
--
Dave Fritzinger, Public Health Research Institute, NY,NY
{allegra!phri!fritz}

"I think. I think I am. Therefore, I am,...I think."

					Moody Blues

smithson@calma.UUCP (Brian Smithson) (01/04/86)

In article <2800005@faust.UUCP> rm@faust.UUCP writes:
>[...]
>    If you could have your choice of any car that ever existed, what would
>    you choose?  Assume money is no object.
>
>My vote for the most desirable car would be a 1960 Corvette, all white with...

1960 Corvette?  C'mon, I'd take something more like a 1930's Mercedes 540K!

>    And (for added spice) if hell was a place where one was destined to
>    drive around for all eternity, which car would be the most fitting
>    vehicle for the task?

The same!  As long as I was going to be there for all eternity, I might as
well get some decent wheels :-)

--

		-Brian Smithson
		 Calma Company

john@gcc-milo.ARPA (John Allred) (01/04/86)

In article <2107@phri.UUCP> fritz@phri.UUCP (Dave Fritzinger) writes:

>Worst Sports/GT: Is there a worst sports/GT? :-)

Sure!! Ever heard of the Porche 911?  What an incredible piece of junk!

--
John Allred
General Computer Company

In article <421@gcc-milo.ARPA> john@gcc-milo.UUCP (John Allred) writes:
>In article <2107@phri.UUCP> fritz@phri.UUCP (Dave Fritzinger) writes:
>>
>>Worst Sports/GT: Is there a worst sports/GT? :-)
>
>Sure!! Ever heard of the Porche 911?  What an incredible piece of junk!

Sorry, guys.  I meant to say Porche 914.

<donning asbestos suit>

--
John Allred
General Computer Company
uucp: seismo!harvard!gcc-milo!john

"Oh, you'll probably get away with crucifixition."
"CRUCIFIXITION??"
"Yeah, first offense."

sutter@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) (01/05/86)

>     If you could have your choice of any car that ever existed, what would
>     you choose?  Assume money is no object.

A Jaguar E-type v-12 convertible.

>     And (for added spice) if hell was a place where one was destined to
>     drive around for all eternity, which car would be the most fitting
>     vehicle for the task?
> R.M. Mottola

A Chevette.
--
-----
Human: Bob Sutterfield

daw1@mhuxl.UUCP (WILLIAMS) (01/06/86)

> >>Worst Sports/GT: Is there a worst sports/GT? :-)
> >Sure!! Ever heard of the Porche 911?  What an incredible piece of junk!
> Sorry, guys.  I meant to say Porche 914.

	Actually you were right in both cases! Add the 924 and
the list is complete. If I were forced to drive one of those
unreliable beasts I'd pick the 928 - at least I'd cover a lot of
ground when it was running :-)

                1
              1   1
	    1   2   1			Doug Williams
	  1   3   3   1			AT&T Bell Labs
	1   4   6   4   1 		Reading, PA
      1   5   10  10   5   1		mhuxl!daw1
    1   6  15   20   15  6   1

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (01/06/86)

In article <2107@phri.UUCP> fritz@phri.UUCP (Dave Fritzinger) writes:

>Best Sports/GT:
	Porsche 959.  If it has to be something that can actually be
	bought, sign me up for a Porsche 911 Carrera RS, 1973 vintage.

>Best Sedan:
	Audi 5000 Turbo Quattro.

>Worst Sports/GT:
	Skoda 120 Rapid.  It's actually *slower* than the sedan model!

>Worst Sedan:
	Chevrolet Chevette Diesel or Moskvitch, any model, any year.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979

lane@cylixb.UUCP (Lane Anderson) (01/06/86)

Now this could be a whole lot more fun than some of the same old
re-re-rehashed arguments seen here lately.

Here we go!

My favorite (no consideration to cost or practicality) would be either
the Ferrari 365 GTB Daytona or the 250 GT Lusso (is that also a
Berlinetta?).  The Daytona is the last of the big V12 Ferraris and
probably the greatest all-round traditional sports car ever built (yet
another topic for discussion?).  The Lusso, built in the mid-sixties,
has been called the most beautiful Ferrari.  It posseses a feline grace
that no other car I have ever seen can approach.  Damn what a gorgeous
car!!!!!  Even though it is now twenty years old, I have never seen a
car that struck me the same way.

As for the worst... Hmmmmmm.  I am sure that our European contributors
can come up with some winners from their side of the Atlantic but I am
going to have to limit my choices to what was available here during my
lifetime as a wheelhead.  Another two-way tie.  This one between the
AMC Pacer (sorry AMC) and the Chevy Vega.  The Vega was not a totally
bad car but the self-destruct engine and body that was rusted out after
a year make it a strong contender.  The Pacer... Well, what can you say?
The body looked like an inverted fishbowl woth the wheels buried miles
deep in the fenders.  The suspension and brake technology and perform-
ance was outdated years before the car was produced.  The engine finally
used was a yawn producing six.  More?  Oh yeah.  Touted as "the wiiide
small car" it was as wide as a Cadillac (I'm looking at the two out of
window) while as long as a Volkswagon.  This sounds great until you dis-
cover that the rear passengers sit between the wheels which made it
tight for two people.  Even in front things weren't especially roomy due
to the thickness of the doors.  All in all, a mess of a car.  Bleeech!

Sorry to ramble so (ramble? AARRGGHH, AMC strikes back!!).  I'm looking
forward to this one.

olds@ihlpa.UUCP (Mondeville) (01/06/86)

> **  rebate kiss line with your passage **
>
> This seat belt thing is getting boring.  I remember with some fondness the
> discussion of best raods and worst roads in net.wheelhead a short time
> ago.  How about a discussion on car love (or lust), like ferinstance:
>
>     If you could have your choice of any car that ever existed, what would
>     you choose?  Assume money is no object.
>
>     And (for added spice) if hell was a place where one was destined to
>     drive around for all eternity, which car would be the most fitting
>     vehicle for the task?
>
> My vote for the most desirable car would be a 1960 Corvette, all white with
> red interior.  Fuel injected of course.  I've never driven one of the first
> generation 'vettes but I've heard that they're nothing to write home about
> in the handling dept.  I'm sure that they, like all Corvettes, are noisy,
> uncomfortable, and leak badly in the rain.  Still, nothing else quite comes
> close to my ideal of automotive beauty as this car does.
>
> As for my idea of hell on wheels, boring cars really, well, bore me.
> There are a lot of boredom mobiles around, but if I had to the most boring
> it would be the AMC Concord.  What can I say? It's just two tons of rolling
> yawns to this boy.  Flame on, AMC lovers.
>
> R.M. Mottola
> Intermetrics Inc.
> Cambridge, MA.
>
> Disclaimer: "It's only me, and if there are any real ideas in this note
> they probably got in there by mistake."
>
> PS If anyone wants to give me the vette as a late Christmas gift, please
> throw in a lot of extra fuel injection parts.

    The best or worst car????
  I'll start with the worst. My vote for worst car(s),is ALL non-performance,
  boring,try-to-keep-me-awake-while-I'm-driving type cars which make up the
  majority of the motoring public,and are such a pain in the A__! to
  enthusist drivers such as myself.Examples are: chevy chevettes,all that
  imported fuel saver things,and all those rolling death-traps with billions
  of people on board.

    The BEST????
   Very hard to say.For me it would be two.

    1) A 1974 black on black Pontiac Super-Duty Trans-Am powered by.......
       a 455 cubic-inch 345-370 horse power engine (I've forgotten the exact
       h.p. rating).  I've come close to this as I own a '76 Trans-Am
       (Sterling Silver with blue interior),powered by a Pontiac 400 with
       goodies such-as Holley intake,Crane cam,Blackjack headers,Sonic Turbos.
       .....etc.

     2) A Saturn White 1970 Buick GSX, powered by a stage II (only avaliable in
        parts) 455.(h.p. around 400+).

        To complete auto heaven??,highways and roads for high-performance
        people like me ONLY!!!!! <<<<<<<<sounds good huh????

                                                  Eugene G. Mandeville
                                                  AT&T Bell Labs Indian Hill
                                                  ihnp4!ihlpa!olds

joe@dual.UUCP (Joe Weinstein) (01/07/86)

Steve Saleen runs a racing car concern in southern California.
He has a deal with Ford where specially equipped Mustangs with
the hot 302 V8 get delivered to him, where he adds better springs,
shocks, urethane bushings, sway bars, frame stiffening, Hurst shifter and
linkage, subdued ground effects and cosmetics. Everything is cleared
by Ford so you still have the full factory warrentee an can order these
cars as such or with other options direct from selected Ford dealers
around the country. Mine cost around 14.3 K. These do 0 to 60 in around
6 seconds. This is better than the stocker even though the engines are
the same ( roller cam 302 V8 HO ) because of the better tires. The
interior is the fancy GT stuff with a Momo wheel and 170 mph speedo,
and these cars generate .88 Gs. on a skid pad where Corvettes get .87 .
The price is right with a full warrentee and all parts available by
part number. He is only going to make about 600 or so this year so
they don't qualify for Showroom Stock racing but in Solo II "B Street
Prepared" they are taking Corvettes. More people should know about
this car. I might expect the fit and finish of Starions to be typically
Japanese ( ie. better ) but on any performance criterion this Ford
will be significantly better at a better price. What do you think?

mth@druhi.UUCP (HamiltonM) (01/08/86)

My favorite car is a Porsche 935, which I believe is
a 930 Turbo with a slant nose. I also like the new Pantera.
Some auto magazine mistakenly used a picture of one within
a Lamborghini article, labeling it a Countach S.

Hell on wheels? How about cruising an AMC Matador? I think
the AMC styling department has more than proven that no
matter what a car looks like, someone out there will buy one.

Mark Hamilton
Denver

gmack@cisden.UUCP (Gregg Mackenzie) (01/08/86)

In article <423@gcc-milo.ARPA> john@gcc-milo.UUCP (John Allred) writes:
>In article <421@gcc-milo.ARPA> john@gcc-milo.UUCP (John Allred) writes:
>>In article <2107@phri.UUCP> fritz@phri.UUCP (Dave Fritzinger) writes:

>>>Worst Sports/GT: Is there a worst sports/GT? :-)
>>Sure!! Ever heard of the Porche 911?  What an incredible piece of junk!
>Sorry, guys.  I meant to say Porche 914.

You were close, though, with the 911.  The 912 (the four-cylinder version
of the 911, really just a fast-back Volkswagen) was just as bad as the 914.

Gregg Mackenzie
cisden!gmack

gmack@cisden.UUCP (Gregg Mackenzie) (01/08/86)

>>     If you could have your choice of any car that ever existed, what would
>>     you choose?  Assume money is no object.

1970 Plymouth Superbird.

>>     And (for added spice) if hell was a place where one was destined to
>>     drive around for all eternity, which car would be the most fitting
>>     vehicle for the task?

>A Chevette.

Or a Vega.  Or, a Pinto, or, a Le Car.  Or, a Volvo, Saab, Pacer, Gremlin,
Maverick, Honda, Datsun, Citation, etc., etc...

Gregg Mackenzie
cisden!gmack

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (01/08/86)

Hmmm....the one car I would choose....a real toughie...

Being the impractical person that I am, I think I'd choose a Vector W-2.
Worst car?  I can't agree about the 914; I have seen ONE example of the breed
which I would find tolerable.  For worst, I nominate the original Renault
Fuego, with its humorous styling, tiny engine (wow, fuel injected!) and its
awesome advertising campaign.  All you GT'ers look out: the Fuego's name
means fire!  :-)

-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

chrise@ihlpl.UUCP (Chris Edmonds) (01/08/86)

> Hell on wheels? How about cruising an AMC Matador? I think
> the AMC styling department has more than proven that no
> matter what a car looks like, someone out there will buy one.

That's definitely close but they outdid themselves on the AMC
Pacer which has the construction and weight of a tank with the
appearance and horsepower of a turtle.  (Eat your heart out
Edsel Ford!)

Chris Edmonds @ AT&T Something-or-Other, naperville, Il ...ihnp4!ihlpl!chrise

smithson@calma.UUCP (Brian Smithson) (01/08/86)

It seems to me that the "best car, worst car" thing might be even more
fun if it were further categorized as "best/worst looking" and "best/worst
driving".  Of course, some of you hardcore's might think that your
hopped-up Mustang should win in both categories (but, best or worst? :-) )...

I'd be willing to start with my entry for the worst looking car: the famous
AMC Matador (the original one, not the later ones).  Anyone remember the
ad campaign?  It showed a car concealed under a cloth, ready to be unveiled
like some sort of sculptural masterpiece.  Really, I recall gagging when they
pulled that cloth off!
--

		-Brian Smithson
		 Calma Company

jackg@tekchips.UUCP (Jack Gjovaag) (01/10/86)

First it was Norwegian jokes in net.jokes and now we find
Chevettes being called bad and/or dull.  Some people just
don't know about quality in either nationality or motor cars.

  Inghard Jacob Gjovaag
  Dull Norwegian owner of an exciting American Chevette
  (It must be neat because it sounds so much like Corvette.)

darryl@ism780c.UUCP (Darryl Richman) (01/10/86)

In article <429@mhuxl.UUCP> daw1@mhuxl.UUCP (WILLIAMS) writes:
>> >Sure!! Ever heard of the Porche 911?  What an incredible piece of junk!
>> Sorry, guys.  I meant to say Porche 914.
>
>       Actually you were right in both cases! Add the 924 and
>the list is complete. If I were forced to drive one of those
>unreliable beasts I'd pick the 928 - at least I'd cover a lot of
>ground when it was running :-)

I would like to relate my personal experience with those junky Porsches. In
1958 I bought a new Porshe. After 100,000 miles I decided to trade it for a
1962 model because I thought it was worn out. I drove the second one for
200,000 miles and thought It must be worn out for shure, so again I made a
swap, this time for one of those junky 1970 model 914's. The 914 now has
285,000 miles on it and it is still being used daily.  The gas milage is only
34 mpg.  It is on its third set of tires and I had to put a new clutch into it
after only 200,000 miles.  I guess I'll never buy a piece of junk like that
again.  I doubt that any car made in the future could be that junky.

            Marv Rubinstein -- Interactive Systems

valerie@sdcc3.UUCP (Valerie Polichar) (01/10/86)

    "If you could have your choice of any car that ever existed, what would
     you choose?  Assume money is no object."

Easy:   a  L A M B O R G H I N I    C O U N T A C H

                and
                        a Porsche 928 S

                                (Oh, and a '65 Camaro, and a Shelby AC
                                Cobra... who wouldn't?...)

Worst car?  Uh, probably my dad's Chevette.  Plek!!!!
--

-=< Valerie Polichar >=-                 ...sdcsvax!sdcc3!valerie

"And the Crimson Dynamo
 just couldn't cut it no more;
 you were the Law - "

mr@homxb.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) (01/12/86)

> I would like to relate my personal experience with those junky Porsches. In
> 1958 I bought a new Porshe. After 100,000 miles I decided to trade it for a
> 1962 model because I thought it was worn out. I drove the second one for
> 200,000 miles and thought It must be worn out for shure, so again I made a
> swap, this time for one of those junky 1970 model 914's. The 914 now has
> 285,000 miles on it and it is still being used daily.  The gas milage is only
> 34 mpg.  It is on its third set of tires and I had to put a new clutch into it
>             Marv Rubinstein -- Interactive Systems
You drove a car 285,000 miles on 3 sets of tires ??? I consider that
a bit dangerous, didn't they ever wear out ???

mark
homxb!mr

bmt@we53.UUCP (bmt) (01/12/86)

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned Maverick in discussing worst cars.
I'd mention Fairmont as well.  And while we're at it, there's also Pinto,
since though it is small enough that you have to squat to get into it, I've
driven trucks and busses that were easier to steer.  But for all time worst,
Chevette probably wins, followed closely by nearly any AMC product; after all,
what other carmaker do you know that has changed its official public name twice
in twenty years, just to get away from its own reputation?

  As for best,  my favorite car is not a big performance machine, just a very
nice and practical piece of transportation.  I wish they still made it: Nova.
I don't know whether the new Nova the name is anything like it, but that car
was great.  Easy to maintain, not too small, not too big, it would get up and go
when you wanted it to, but it didn't guzzle gas.  You can have your Ferraris
and your Porsches, I can't afford them.  You can even have your Volvo, I can't
afford it either.  Just give me my American dream car.
Sorry to be so... practical.  Well, not really....

brian

ayers@convexs.UUCP (01/12/86)

>[...]
>    If you could have your choice of any car that ever existed, what would
>    you choose?  Assume money is no object.

Well, you didn't ask about the "best" car, but the one you'd "want"
the most, so:

	My vote is for the 1967 Ford GT40, Mark II.

<_Because_, that's why!>

blues, II

mberns@ut-ngp.UUCP (Mark Bernstein) (01/13/86)

[]
>       From: gmack@cisden.UUCP (Gregg Mackenzie)

>>>     If you could have your choice of any car that ever existed, what would
>>>     you choose?  Assume money is no object.

>       1970 Plymouth Superbird.

What on earth is a Plymouth Superbird?  :-)   (I really don't know!)
And why is (was) it so wonderful?

>>>     And (for added spice) if hell was a place where one was destined to
>>>     drive around for all eternity, which car would be the most fitting
>>>     vehicle for the task?

>>      A Chevette.

Ok......

>    Or a Vega.  Or, a Pinto, or, a Le Car.  Or, a Volvo, Saab, Pacer, Gremlin,
>    Maverick, Honda, Datsun, Citation, etc., etc...

How do Volvo, Saab, Honda & Datsun join the company of such dogs as the Pacer,
Gremlin, Pinto, etc.?????   Which model(s) V, S, H or D, if any?   Why?
Is there a joke I'm missing???

Mark Bernstein (UT - Austin, Speech)

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (01/14/86)

In article <384@cisden.UUCP> gmack@cisden.UUCP (Gregg Mackenzie) writes:

>>>Sure!! Ever heard of the Porche 911?  What an incredible piece of junk!
>>Sorry, guys.  I meant to say Porche 914.

>You were close, though, with the 911.  The 912 (the four-cylinder version
>of the 911, really just a fast-back Volkswagen) was just as bad as the 914.

Brilliant ignorance, I must say!  A fast-back Volkswagen?  The 912 was
introduced (in 1965 I think) shortly after the 911's 1963 introduction.
It was effectively a 911, which is (I think even Gregg will admit) a
pure Porsche.  The 912 was designed as an entry model, with lower trim
level, narrower rims & tires, and a four-cylinder engine.  AHA! you
say, Volkswagen!  BUT NO!  The four-cylinder was the 1600 SC engine
from the 356 series Porsches.  The 356's did not use a VW engine after
about mid-1949 or so.  The 356 four-banger has definite VW heritage,
but has no interchangeable components (well, I've taken one apart and
the only one I found is the distributor...).

The only one you could be talking about is the 912E.  The 912 was made
until 1970; the 912E was re-introduced in 1976 for North America only
as a stop-gap measure (1975 was the last year for the 914, and 1977
the first for the 924).  This one in fact *did* have a VW Type
IV-based engine, similar to the 914.  It wasn't a bad car though, with
decent power, disc brakes all around, good rubber and 911 suspension
components.

In any case, I wouldn't put down ALL 914's. The 914/6 (and especially
the 914/6 GT) was a great car; if I could only get my hands on one I'd
start blowing those Fieros and MR2's into the weeds!  Of course, to go
one step better, I could try to find one of the 18 or so 916's that
were manufactured...

man@bocar.UUCP (M Nevar) (01/14/86)

<                                (Oh, and a '65 Camaro, and a Shelby AC
<                                Cobra... who wouldn't?...)

A '65 Camaro ???????

Funny, but I thought...

sjm@dayton.UUCP (Steven J. McDowall) (01/14/86)

Why not add my 2 pence in?

> Best car? How about a '73 De-Tomaso Panterra, with ZF-transmission
  package, and the great Clevland 350 short stroker?

> Worst? This had* to be either my Ford Pinto (74) or my Ford Maverick.
  (Although the Vega would come in a close second, and probably first if I
   ever had the gaul to drive it!)

--
Steven J. McDowall		ihnp4!rosevax!dayton!sjm

mikey@techsup (01/14/86)

The 'Saleen Mustang' is starting to show up around Boston.

The 'Saleen Mustang' was also featured in one of the car magazines
that I saw on the news-stand right before Christmas, but I don't
remember which one.

mikey
trsvax!techsup!bbimg!mikey

ingrid@pilchuckDataio.UUCP (the Real Swede) (01/16/86)

> >>     And (for added spice) if hell was a place where one was destined to
> >>     drive around for all eternity, which car would be the most fitting
> >>     vehicle for the task?
>
> >A Chevette.
>
> Or a Vega.  Or, a Pinto, or, a Le Car.  Or, a Volvo, Saab, Pacer, Gremlin,
> Maverick, Honda, Datsun, Citation, etc., etc...
>
> Gregg Mackenzie
> cisden!gmack

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR CAR FLAME

OH FLAME YOU!!!

I just sold an old Maverick that had 100K miles on it. It never had
any major mechanical problems whatsoever. Hell, the damn things are
indestructable! And how and why the hell do you put Saabs and Volvos
in the same category as the Pinto and Pacer?! I think you've been grinding
your valves too long....yeah yeah, the 244 series Volvos were the pits;
and those old 99 series Saabs are meant to be stayed away from--but one
model does not mean the whole make is the pits?! Why did you just say
Gremlin, then, and not just AMC?!

Yours blazingly (eat my dust and f***the gas crisis).

dca@edison.UUCP (01/16/86)

> I would like to relate my personal experience with those junky Porsches. In
> 1958 I bought a new Porshe. After 100,000 miles I decided to trade it for a
> 1962 model because I thought it was worn out. I drove the second one for
> 200,000 miles and thought It must be worn out for shure, so again I made a
> swap, this time for one of those junky 1970 model 914's. The 914 now has
> 285,000 miles on it and it is still being used daily.  The gas milage is only
> 34 mpg.  It is on its third set of tires and I had to put a new clutch into it
> after only 200,000 miles.  I guess I'll never buy a piece of junk like that
> again.  I doubt that any car made in the future could be that junky.
>
> 	    Marv Rubinstein -- Interactive Systems

Worst can describe unreliable but I think in the case of the 914,912
it describes a Volkswagen disguised as a sports car.  The 914,912 fall
in the worst category because they don't live up to their promises not
because they are unreliable automobiles.  I disagree about the
924 which while somewhat underpowered was otherwise a reasonable car.

David Albrecht

tjsmedley@watmum.UUCP (Trevor J. Smedley) (01/16/86)

>    If you could have your choice of any car that ever existed, what would
>    you choose?  Assume money is no object.

Just about any British convertible more than 15-20 years old. Preferably with
lots of spare parts.

Trevor J. Smedley                    University of Waterloo

{decvax,allegra,ihnp4,clyde,utzoo}!watmum!tjsmedley

martinl@molihp.UUCP (Martin M Lacey) (01/16/86)

In article <5800030@convexs> ayers@convexs.UUCP writes:

>>[...]
>>    If you could have your choice of any car that ever existed, what would
>>    you choose?  Assume money is no object.
>>

>Well, you didn't ask about the "best" car, but the one you'd "want"
>the most, so:
>
>	My vote is for the 1967 Ford GT40, Mark II.
>
>blues, II

Thats a beautifull car now ain't it!!.  I had the good fortune to see
one up close while visiting the Beauly (sp?) motor museaum in England.
Anyone who has seen and knows of this car drools.  Its definitly my
choice for car of the century.  Ahhhh, what a gem!!!!(and 1st gear
red line around 60 mph!!!). Drool, Drool......

But now within reason, I think I'm going to go for the Mazda RX-7 this
summer.  It's not the same, but at least I'll be able to get parts
for it :-).  All I've heard says this is one heck of a car.

			Martin the Magician.

rickb@tekig4.UUCP (Rick Bensene) (01/17/86)

>     "If you could have your choice of any car that ever existed, what would
>      you choose?  Assume money is no object."
> Easy:	a  L A M B O R G H I N I    C O U N T A C H
> 		and
> 			a Porsche 928 S
> 				(Oh, and a '65 Camaro, and a Shelby AC
--------------------------------------------^^
 <<<<  '65 Camaro?  Right...they didn't even exist until 1967! >>>>

> -=< Valerie Polichar >=-		 ...sdcsvax!sdcc3!valerie

As for my choices:

Best:
      Any Dodge/Chrysler Plymouth Product with 440 6-Pack or Hemi
       power.
      Dodga Challenger T/A
      Plymouth AAR 'Cuda
      Any Chevrolet Product with L-78 396, L-88 427, LS-6 454, ZL-1
       427, or 427 TriPower.
      Any Ford product with 427, 427SOHC, 428 or 429 CJ/SCJ Power
      Any Nova, Chevelle, or Camaro produced by Nickey Chevrolet,
       Dana Chevrolet, Baldwin-Motion, or Yenko.
      1965 Z-16 Chevelle
      Any COPO Chevrolet Porduct (includes ZL-1 Camaro, COPO Ironblock
       427 Camaros)
      Plymouth Superbird
      Dodge Charger Daytona
      Chevrolet Z/28 Camaro, 1967, 68, 69 or 1970 1/2. Also 1986 1/2
       350 CI TPI IROC Z/28.
      Chevrolet Corvette.  1965 through 1972, 1986.
      Any product a result of the Ford/Carrol Shelby connection.
      Ford Talledega(sp?)
      Mercury Cyclone Spoiler
      Buick GS Stage I or GSX
      Oldsmobile 442 W-30
      1969 Pontiac Trans-Am Coupe or Convertible
      Mercury Cougar XR-7G or Cougar Eliminator
      ...the list goes on...

Worst: Anything that can't do 1/4 mile in 15.50 or less (for new
       cars), and anything that can't do 1/4 mile in 14.99 seconds
       or less (for older cars, and surprizingly enough, even some
       new cars can live up to this).

Rick Bensene
{ihnp4, decvax, allegra, cbosg, ucbvax}!tektronix!tekig4!rickb
Phone: Weekdays (503) 627-3559
       BBS: (503) 254-0458  300/1200 baud, 24 hours a day
US Mail: Tektronix, Inc. - P.O. Box 500, Mail Stop 39-170 - Beaverton,
 Oregon  97077

mikey@techsup (01/18/86)

The Plymouth Superbird was made for 1 year, and 1 year ONLY.  It was based
on the Road Runner chassis (Which was based on the Sattelite...) hench
the name 'Superbird'.  Base minimum engine was the 440 Hemi Magnum.  Optional
engines were the 440 Hemi-Magnum six-pack or the 426 Hemi.  It had the
option of a Torgueflite automatic transmission or a 4-speed.

Imagine a Road-runner with a horizontal tail about 22 inches off the rear
deck supported by vertical fins at the left and right fender.  The front
end was modified with a snout with flip up headlights (Very radical for 1970).

The under carriage was beefed up and 'supposedly' had a suspension tuned for
Daytona at 220 mph. (The earlier Daytona model did in fact have a suspension
tuned for 180 mph)

The superbird was produced and designed for retail under $5000. All the
numbers were adjusted for this as there were some rules for racing about
the maximum selling price back then.

The superbird didn't fare that well on the race circuit.  220 mph was great
on a track by itself, but the thing was pretty poor when it had to run in a
pack of slower cars.  Also complicating it was a rules revision that limited
any cars with aerodynamic modifications to 5 liter engines when the rest of the
field was allowed 7 liter.

All in all, a bueatiful car, but not practical.  I only ever saw one ad from
Plymouth for the car, anyone remember the backroads legend of Johnny and
his Superbird ad?

mikey  N1DVJ
trsvax!techsup!bbimg!mikey

ps.  You KNOW how I feel about 55!!

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (01/20/86)

In article <632@edison.UUCP> dca@edison.UUCP writes:

>Worst can describe unreliable but I think in the case of the 914,912
>it describes a Volkswagen disguised as a sports car.  The 914,912 fall
>in the worst category because they don't live up to their promises not
>because they are unreliable automobiles.  I disagree about the
>924 which while somewhat underpowered was otherwise a reasonable car.

Arrgghh!  Again!  As I previously described, the original 912 had no
Volkswagen in it besides its heritage (note that VW-Audi and Porsche are
two completely separate companies).  The 912E (only made for the US
market, and only in 1976) did have a VW Type IV engine, but that's
all.

As I recall, 914's did come from a VW assembly line (since Porsche did
not have sufficient capacity), but it was Porsche engineered.  The VW
components were to be found primarily in the drivetrain, which
included the same Type IV engine found in the 912E, the VW 411/412 and
the VW Transporter!  The 914/6, incidentally, was almost pure Porsche.
"Volkswagen disguised as a sports car": can you name half-dozen VW
components in the 914/6 (we all know the regualr 914 had a VW engine).
I can think of one --- inside door handles!

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watrose!haapanen

gmack@cisden.UUCP (Gregg Mackenzie) (01/20/86)

In article <211@pilchuckDataio.UUCP> ingrid@pilchuckDataio.UUCP (the Real Swede) writes:

>OH FLAME YOU!!!
>
>indestructable! And how and why the hell do you put Saabs and Volvos
>in the same category as the Pinto and Pacer?! I think you've been grinding
>your valves too long....yeah yeah, the 244 series Volvos were the pits;
>and those old 99 series Saabs are meant to be stayed away from--but one

For everyone who has asked me why I lump Saabs and Volvos in with Pintos
and Vegas, it's because they are ugly.  Ugly, ugly, ugly.

>model does not mean the whole make is the pits?! Why did you just say
>Gremlin, then, and not just AMC?!

Because the Jeeps are good vehicles and the old Rebel Machine (I don't
remember the year, '68 or '70, I think) is a good vehicle.

(UGLY!)

Gregg Mackenzie
cisden!gmack

jimmy@scgvaxd.UUCP (JR) (01/22/86)

My best car from the factory, considering money as no object
(which makes it hard to object!) would be a late 70's Jaguar
XJ-S with their 12-cylinder engine in that metallic green or
white they have.  I've heard I'd need a couple as they break
down a bit (Is that true?)!
If I could modify the car, I would like a 1973 Dodge Challenger
Rallye (with hood scoops, side scoops, heavy duty suspension,
etc.)  Since they did not make a convertible that year, that
would be my modification.  Oh, I'd like just the basic 318 cu.
inch engine with the 3-speed slap-stick transmission.

In hell, I'd be driving any Japanese car!

Buy American!!!

Jim Raisanen

markm@grkermi.UUCP (Mark S. Miller) (01/22/86)

> the name 'Superbird'.  Base minimum engine was the 440 Hemi Magnum.  Optional
> engines were the 440 Hemi-Magnum six-pack or the 426 Hemi.  It had the

I think it was a 440 4-bbl, a 440 Six-Pak, and the 426 Hemi. The term
'Hemi' applies only to the 426!

> The under carriage was beefed up and 'supposedly' had a suspension tuned for
> Daytona at 220 mph. (The earlier Daytona model did in fact have a suspension
> tuned for 180 mph)

Yes, the suspension was beefed up. In fact, one side of the rear leaf
springs had more leafs (I forget which). This was not only because of
the oval tracks, but also to compensate for the IMMENSE torque put out
by the Hemi. An old friend of mine's brother had an old Charger R/T
(similar suspension to what was used on the Superbird/Daytona) and
reported that you just couldn't make it lean, no matter how hard you
cornerred.

> The superbird didn't fare that well on the race circuit.  220 mph was great
> on a track by itself, but the thing was pretty poor when it had to run in a
> pack of slower cars.

Now, I'm a little rusty on my Mopar lore, but as I recall the
SuperBird/Daytona dominated for the years they ran. In fact, they did
so well that the Reg's were changed to stop them. As I recall a
Superbird held the record at Daytona (200 something or other mph)
until just a couple of years ago. Also, the drivers were VERY
impressed with the handling of the car. One marvelled that he could
drve it around the big ovals with just one hand - unheard of for the
NASCAR circuit in those days.

I'd hate to try parking one of these cars at the K-Mart, but I'd dare
anything to try and catch it on the road!

                                MSM
                                "Mopar spoken here"

bellas@ttidcb.UUCP (Pete Bellas) (01/23/86)

In article <-39614471@techsup> mikey@techsup writes:
>			Base minimum engine was	the 440	Hemi Magnum.  Optional
>engines were the 440 Hemi-Magnum six-pack or the 426 Hemi.

If I am	not mistaken the 440 was a "wedge" engine not a	"hemi".

	-Pete-

dhk@hp-pcd.UUCP (dhk) (01/25/86)

Re: Superbird

Several years ago, when Superbirds were new, my mother worked with a lady
that used to drive a Lime-green one of these beasties to work everyday.
The perfect commuter car for a lady in her mid-thirties, right? :-)

Dustin
!hplabs!hp-pcd!dhk

moroney@jon.DEC (Mike Moroney) (01/26/86)

>>model does not mean the whole make is the pits?! Why did you just say
>>Gremlin, then, and not just AMC?!

>Because the Jeeps are good vehicles and the old Rebel Machine (I don't
>remember the year, '68 or '70, I think) is a good vehicle.

The "Machine" is a '70. (I own one)  AMC's weren't always ugly, the '67-69
Rebels were fairly sharp looking cars.  They started practicing ugly with
the rear quarter panels of the '70 Rebels, then perfected UGLY with the 71
model year, though they've succeeded before (look up UGLY in a dictionary,
they show a picture of the '67 Marlin [unless it's a new dictionary, then
they show the Subaru XT]).

-Mike Moroney
An AMC fan, but I don't want anything to do with any car they made from '71 on.

david@sagan.UUCP (David Taylor) (01/26/86)

pilchuckDataio.UUCP> <427@cisden.UUCP>

To all those who think that Saab 900 Turbos are ugly, can the ecstatically
happy owner of a 1985 Saab 900 Turbo with the fancy Special Performance
Group option, remind you that "Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder".
My car is GORGEOUS to my  eyes, handles like a dream, has had zero maintenance
problems in 8 months of driving and is in every way what I knew I was buying.

It may sound like snobbery but I bought a REAL CAR and feel slightly sorry
for all you 3 box construction Pinto-knockoff owners. It was worth every
penny I paid!
--
david
... David W.Taylor, MicroPro Product Development

bellas@ttidcb.UUCP (Pete Bellas) (01/29/86)

In article <191@sagan.UUCP> david@sagan.UUCP (David Taylor) writes:

>To all those who think that Saab 900 Turbos are ugly, can the ecstatically
>happy owner of a 1985 Saab 900 Turbo with the fancy Special Performance
>Group option, remind you that "Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder".
>My car is GORGEOUS to my  eyes, handles like a dream, has had zero maintenance
>problems in 8 months of driving and is in every way what I knew I was buying.
             ^^^^^^^^

Wow a whole 8 months with no problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Call us again in about 10 years (We might be impressed then :-)

            -Pete-

ps - Beauty? Some people like Citreons (sp?)